May 24, 2018, 08:19:50 AM

Author Topic: Experiences with ON1 Photo RAW 2018?  (Read 10660 times)

Durf

• EOS Rebel 300D
    • Durf's Journal - Photography Art
Re: Experiences with ON1 Photo RAW 2018?
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2018, 10:17:15 AM »
I'm using ON1 RAW myself....I opted for it, rather than getting LR6 which was the last non-subscription version.
What features are you looking for with regards to dropping LR?

Just curious...

TIA,

cayenne

Hi, I would like to see ON1 have a better import and organization system but for the most part I'm just waiting on them to fix a few bug issues especially with effects, masking, and layers which is causing some major slow downs in processing.

I've also had a few issues with ON1 sidecar files and also with some heavily processed photos looking different after exporting to my desktop as Jpegs.

All in all ON1's a great program and I'm just being a bit nit-picky as Lightroom has it's quirks too. (I'm also having a hard time weaning myself away from LightRoom)

I actually don't use photoshop all that much but with ON1 I find myself masking and using layers more often because of it's simplicity.....

Jumping back and forth from Lightroom and ON1 is getting old though and I'll probably end up using ON1 as a stand alone editor later this year when they release there next version....

Do you have the latest 2018.1 update?

They did do a lot of work on the import process....I watched the videos and then have been trying it and is pretty nice, I can now do many of the things I did in LR....I import from card, and also rename and send copies to backup NAS drive, key word...etc.

I set up Presets for this and I gotta say, its just about what I was doing with LR.

If you don't have the latest version, do an update, and then look at the On1 RAW latest videos that show importing and organizing....pretty cool stuff!!

HTH,

cayenne

I've got the latest version with the latest updates. It's an awesome program and will most likely replace Lightroom and Photoshop for me.

Once you get more in to it and start using a lot of effects, masking, and layers, you'll see why I'm a bit hesitant to jump ship with Adobe.....ON1 still needs to work a few bugs out and do some fixes. They are suppose to have a pretty thorough repair patch and possibly some additions in June I believe....I'm patiently waiting.

I'm actually using ON1 right now for most of my image processing......

I find my main problem for now is, I seem to overdo things a bit more than I do in LR for some reason.

I'm not entirely sure why, but I seem to....and once I develop things, and step away, I come back and have to back off things a good bit.

Maybe it is just getting used to new software....

C

Yes, you can quickly over do an image in ON1, LOL, it's way more powerful than Lightroom in my opinion.

Plus what's cool about it is that I can do what I normally do in Photoshop right in effects and layers and not have to transfer images back and forth from lightroom and photoshop while processing.

Once I win my inner psychological battle I'm having right now concerning totally getting away from Lightroom I'll be doing all my processing in ON1 only ;)
6D2 | 80D | T6i | 16-35mm f/4L | 50mm f/1.8 STM | Tamron SP 45mm & 85mm f/1.8  | 100mm f2.8L Macro | 70-300mm IS USM ii | Sigma 150-600mm | 
Pentax K1000 | Vintage Glass: Takumar-Pentax-Helios |
www.DurfsJournal.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2018, 10:17:15 AM »

stevelee

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2018, 11:28:48 AM »
Overdoing seems to come naturally, at least for me.

I don't do ON1 or Lightroom regularly, but open RAW files in ACR, because that's what I'm used to and don't need to do batches. I appreciate the light touch that ACR gives, and the ability to go back and tweak what I did, which you can with Lightroom and I assume ON1 (which I haven't tried in a while, so I don't recall).

But I find that when I use the equivalent filter in Photoshop, I tend to overcorrect. I immediately invoke the Fade command and move the slider around to see what looks best. Often about 75% of what I did with the filter is about right. I use Fade a lot otherwise for similar reasons (sometimes changing blend mode, and sometimes invoking the filter twice using different blend modes and small amounts each time).

cayenne

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2018, 10:45:09 AM »
Overdoing seems to come naturally, at least for me.

I don't do ON1 or Lightroom regularly, but open RAW files in ACR, because that's what I'm used to and don't need to do batches. I appreciate the light touch that ACR gives, and the ability to go back and tweak what I did, which you can with Lightroom and I assume ON1 (which I haven't tried in a while, so I don't recall).

But I find that when I use the equivalent filter in Photoshop, I tend to overcorrect. I immediately invoke the Fade command and move the slider around to see what looks best. Often about 75% of what I did with the filter is about right. I use Fade a lot otherwise for similar reasons (sometimes changing blend mode, and sometimes invoking the filter twice using different blend modes and small amounts each time).

Yes, with On1 RAW through most of the modules, you are still working with the RAW files and is purely non-destructive.  When you get to the layers portion of On1, then you are in a comparable zone you would be in PS, in that you are then working on a rendered copy....although I "think" On1 either has or is working on a "smart object" analogous type container so you could still go back and change the rendered copy....?

That I'm not sure about yet....

But yes, I often correct and then I play heavily on each with the opacity level to dial it in.

Anyway, I think it is just new software I'm getting used to...the sliders in On! RAW do seem to do a LOT more at the extreme ends, than their equivalents in LR seem to do, and likely that is contributing to my overdoing adjustments.

I do with I had keyboard ways to "nudge" slider values by smaller values that I can do with my pen or mouse.....

C

Jack Douglas

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • http://www.gohaidagwaii.ca/blog/eagle-photography-
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2018, 09:39:38 PM »
I and I believe others requested mouse wheel control of sliders and I think/thought they were working on that.

Jack
1DX2   11-24 F4   24-70 F4   70-200 F2.8 II   300 F2.8 II   1.4X III   2X III   400 DO F4 II 

http://yourshot.nationalgeographic.com/profile/647784/

eml58

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • 1Dx
« Reply #34 on: April 24, 2018, 10:22:20 PM »
I've been using On1 since inception, and upgraded each time to the latest version, like Cayenne I paid the extra and have the Pro version of RAW, the tutorial content and free access to downloadable content is absolutely worth the extra.

I still tend to go from LR (due to the excellent file management) out to PS and On1 RAW, currently I do most of my image changes in On1, then save back to LR.

The 2018 version may change my view on this process, I'm actually finding On1 RAW to be as a good a file management system as LR.

My only minor beef at present is that I'm tending to process my images in Photoshop Actions quite a lot these days, and On1 as yet do not have that similar capacity to Photoshop (although I do know On1 are looking to support this ability in the future), neither does LR for that matter.

I started using On1 as it offered Layers and in a much simpler system than PS, and I've continued to be extremely impressed with the whole On1 environment, I think the guys that put this software together and continue to grow and support the system are a breath of fresh air.

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

cayenne

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2018, 04:11:47 PM »
I've been using On1 since inception, and upgraded each time to the latest version, like Cayenne I paid the extra and have the Pro version of RAW, the tutorial content and free access to downloadable content is absolutely worth the extra.

I still tend to go from LR (due to the excellent file management) out to PS and On1 RAW, currently I do most of my image changes in On1, then save back to LR.

The 2018 version may change my view on this process, I'm actually finding On1 RAW to be as a good a file management system as LR.

My only minor beef at present is that I'm tending to process my images in Photoshop Actions quite a lot these days, and On1 as yet do not have that similar capacity to Photoshop (although I do know On1 are looking to support this ability in the future), neither does LR for that matter.

I started using On1 as it offered Layers and in a much simpler system than PS, and I've continued to be extremely impressed with the whole On1 environment, I think the guys that put this software together and continue to grow and support the system are a breath of fresh air.

Yep, it is very interesting.

I'm trying my hand at using On1 RAW in conjunction with Affinity Photo.....so far, working pretty darned well...still trying to get my keyboard short cuts memorized or altered to fit what I'm used to in PS and LR, and then occasionally, having to stop and research to see how something I did in PS is done in Affinity, usually just called something else (different name)...etc.

For example, today in On1 RAW, I was trying to set up my own preset adjustment for "Iris Enhance" like in LR.  I couldn't really find the clarity...a little research and finding that with On1, the Structure slider is the close equivalent of Clarity. 

I explored further and saw that maybe making a preset based off the Dynamic Contrast could maybe be something to look at too...etc.

Anyway..if nothing else, it is fun to try new things and learn new things.  I'm still finding really cool ways to use all the masking in On1 RAW.

I'll be shooting Jazz Fest 2018 here in New Orleans the 2nd weekend, and this will be the first extreme test of doing a workflow sans Adobe, using On1 RAW and Affinity.....I'm shooting the 2nd weekend, Thurs-Sunday, and I think last year I shot close to avg 1000 images a day covering my two stages....

So, that will be a LOT of images to import, sort, cull, develop, and all.....a major test of On1 and my patience with doing something new.
:)

I shoot a lot of the gospel tent, and there well, it often tends to have a LOT of people on stage, and last year I had good results shooting some of them in a quick pano. So, I'll be working that aspect out of the tools too.

Anyway, I'll likely update here with results.

cayenne

Jack Douglas

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2018, 06:32:05 PM »
cayenne, really appreciate your thoughts and any suggestions that come from your experience.  I don't have Photoshop background so in many respects it's more challenging but at least there isn't unlearning going on.

Jack
1DX2   11-24 F4   24-70 F4   70-200 F2.8 II   300 F2.8 II   1.4X III   2X III   400 DO F4 II 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2018, 06:32:05 PM »

cayenne

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2018, 06:45:01 PM »
cayenne, really appreciate your thoughts and any suggestions that come from your experience.  I don't have Photoshop background so in many respects it's more challenging but at least there isn't unlearning going on.

Jack

I've actually not had much a chance to play with the "photoshop" like section of On1 RAW...the "layers" area.

I've been having such a neat time learning how to do so many things in the RAW workflow, that are new to me and stuff that isn't in LR.

I prefer to do absolutely as much as possible with the RAW image....non-desctructive and easily altered if needed.

As a matter of fact, I just discovered that the latest version of On1 RAW has soft proofing.
I just played with that a bit....a simple example, but just to send some images to costco for 4x6 prints to send to my Mom from Xmas.

I downloaded the color profiles of the printers from Costco...and was interesting to see with soft proofing, the difference in what will be printed vs what I have on my screen.  I will use this in the future, to make copies and adjustments to those copies that are specific for THAT printer....again, with RAW, easy to do without information loss.

I pretty much only use PS or Affinity Photo for PS type "heavy lifting"...like compositing images, or playing with painting effects, difficult touchups, erasing objects and reconstructing background,  or just being weird for a day and seeing what I come up with.

But it appears you can do some of that stuff in On1 RAW with the layers portion.  I will try to find time to play with that, but right now, on a bit of a schedule, and I'm pretty sure that the On1 RAW layers area, while powerful, won't be nearly as complete as PS or Affinity Photo are....so, likely will just go to those when I have images that need heavy lifting processing.

Anyway...it is interesting.

C

cayenne

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2018, 06:47:06 PM »
In case you're interested, I just posted an image I did in On1 RAW on this forum thread:

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=6882.msg718519;topicseen#new

Take a look and let me know what you think.

C

Mikehit

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2018, 06:57:13 PM »
The last time I tried On1 about 18 months ago, I found their content aware nowhere near the Adobe version. Yes, it is only one aspect but it is an aspect that made me want to keep with PS a little longer.

Durf

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2018, 07:26:24 PM »
In case you're interested, I just posted an image I did in On1 RAW on this forum thread:

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=6882.msg718519;topicseen#new

Take a look and let me know what you think.

C

Great job, looks good!

I'm finding myself doing more and more all the time in ON1, it's quite capable of doing quick easy clean tweeks to some pretty major stuff....
6D2 | 80D | T6i | 16-35mm f/4L | 50mm f/1.8 STM | Tamron SP 45mm & 85mm f/1.8  | 100mm f2.8L Macro | 70-300mm IS USM ii | Sigma 150-600mm | 
www.DurfsJournal.com

cayenne

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2018, 08:17:46 PM »
The last time I tried On1 about 18 months ago, I found their content aware nowhere near the Adobe version. Yes, it is only one aspect but it is an aspect that made me want to keep with PS a little longer.

OOh...I think a LOT has changed since 18 months.

In fact, the 2018 version  was pretty good, but the .1 update they recently did, made even more noticeable changes, the import system now is really more LR like, and I had missed that.

So, far, I don't find the On1 to be that great with how I've tried to use the content aware tools...I may be using them wrong tho....

But even with LR, I would often drop into PS (or now Affinity Photo) if I needed to do any heavy lifting...I use On1 and LR 99% just for things that work well with RAW image processing....I don't find either tool to be spectacular for content aware touch ups, unless on a really simple background.  For that stuff, I use Affinity Photo or PS.

But do give it a look, a LOT has changed in 18 months....

C

Jack Douglas

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2018, 01:10:54 AM »
Sweet dog!  Looks great but I wouldn't know what you've done to it.

Jack

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2018, 01:10:54 AM »

Durf

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2018, 06:32:53 AM »

OOh...I think a LOT has changed since 18 months.

In fact, the 2018 version  was pretty good, but the .1 update they recently did, made even more noticeable changes, the import system now is really more LR like, and I had missed that.

So, far, I don't find the On1 to be that great with how I've tried to use the content aware tools...I may be using them wrong tho....

But even with LR, I would often drop into PS (or now Affinity Photo) if I needed to do any heavy lifting...I use On1 and LR 99% just for things that work well with RAW image processing....I don't find either tool to be spectacular for content aware touch ups, unless on a really simple background.  For that stuff, I use Affinity Photo or PS.

But do give it a look, a LOT has changed in 18 months....

C

I started using ON1 last late October or right at the beginning of November and a lot has change just since then.

I've never tried Affinity but it looks pretty good. I've already paid for ON1 Photo Raw 2018 and am going to stick with them though, they seem to constantly be improving the software and it is actually quite good and fun to use.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 06:48:54 AM by Durf »
www.DurfsJournal.com

zim

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2018, 08:40:01 AM »

I'm trying my hand at using On1 RAW in conjunction with Affinity Photo.....so far, working pretty darned well...still trying to get my keyboard short cuts memorized or altered to fit what I'm used to in PS and LR, and then occasionally, having to stop and research to see how something I did in PS is done in Affinity, usually just called something else (different name)...etc.

For example, today in On1 RAW, I was trying to set up my own preset adjustment for "Iris Enhance" like in LR.  I couldn't really find the clarity...a little research and finding that with On1, the Structure slider is the close equivalent of Clarity. 

I explored further and saw that maybe making a preset based off the Dynamic Contrast could maybe be something to look at too...etc.

Anyway..if nothing else, it is fun to try new things and learn new things.  I'm still finding really cool ways to use all the masking in On1 RAW.

I'll be shooting Jazz Fest 2018 here in New Orleans the 2nd weekend, and this will be the first extreme test of doing a workflow sans Adobe, using On1 RAW and Affinity.....I'm shooting the 2nd weekend, Thurs-Sunday, and I think last year I shot close to avg 1000 images a day covering my two stages....

So, that will be a LOT of images to import, sort, cull, develop, and all.....a major test of On1 and my patience with doing something new.

I shoot a lot of the gospel tent, and there well, it often tends to have a LOT of people on stage, and last year I had good results shooting some of them in a quick pano. So, I'll be working that aspect out of the tools too.

Anyway, I'll likely update here with results.

cayenne

This is really interesting. Although Serif are working on a DAM I really don't like their RAW edit module. I use DxO for this and really rely on PRIME How does ON1 compare in this respect?

I really must try this when I get a chance. Thanks for your insights most appreciated.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2018, 08:40:01 AM »