March 23, 2018, 07:11:09 AM

Author Topic: Northlight reviews the Laowa 25mm f2.8 2.5-5x Ultra Macro  (Read 1981 times)

• EOS 5D Mark IV
Re: Northlight reviews the Laowa 25mm f2.8 2.5-5x Ultra Macro
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 11:21:37 AM »
Thanks for review. It does look like a good option to MP-E 65 and its smaller and lighter.

The MP-E is on the long side of normal, the Laowa is on the ultra side of wide, how can one be an alternative to the other?

When you get to 5:1 magnification this makes less difference than you'd think.

yeah, right, the working distance is almost the same. In my opinion staarting at 2.5x instead of 1x is a big disadvantage.

It came in for me just luckily, i the same day got a mp-e lens which i catched at ebay for great price. Ans yes, it's not easy to use, and without the usual accessories it's useless. Without tripod, maccro flash and sstacking software it can not show what iit can do.

But wow how this old style lens (released 20 years ago) is wonderful build quality.
Venus/Laowa sells a 60mm Macro which goes from infinity to 2x, so I think their logic behind this lens might be that 25mm will complement the 60mm Macro.

I looked at the MTF charts of this and the 65mm, and the Canon looks to be much better on paper, although I have to admit I didn't have the color key with me to indicate which lines represented which measurements. I look forward to the inevitable apples-to-apples shoot-out.

In terms of the aperture control, I don't mind the manual bit. I use a couple manually controlled aperture lenses for macro (in addition to Canon macros), and personally, I find it to be fine. The electronic swapping of apertures in the camera tends to annoy me a little because it is always turning dark at the moment focus is needed, so there is this constant pressure to be pressing the shutter button half-way to keep it on. With the aperture ring, I feel the process is more relaxed.

PS: I recently purchased the Mitakon equivalent of this lens for $169 and was quite happy with the image quality. Maybe this falls out of Dustin's realm of expertise, but I'd love to see someone take the three or four 1X-5x type lenses and put them through paces.

Mitakon lens only goes from 4x to 4.5x mag ratio, has only 3 aperture blades and its "narrower" at only 20mm while this Venus lens is 25mm and shoot from 2.5x to 5x mag ratio and has 8 bladed aperture.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Northlight reviews the Laowa 25mm f2.8 2.5-5x Ultra Macro
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2018, 11:21:37 AM »