June 22, 2018, 05:30:17 PM

Author Topic: What is going on with Canon's prices in Europe?  (Read 7000 times)

aceflibble

• EOS 80D
Re: What is going on with Canon's prices in Europe?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2018, 09:25:55 AM »
According to local stores, the prices here in the UK are expected to come back down by the end of the year. It's mostly a case of Canon using the dipping value of the pound to get their profit margins back up. I can only assume that the rest of the EU is also having the price rise so it doesn't look like just one place is being picked out. This is similar to Fuji's EU price hike a year ago.

Basically, like with everything else in the EU right now, blame Brexit and Theresa May.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2018, 09:25:55 AM »

Mikehit

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2018, 12:07:38 PM »
Hi Talys.
I think Mt Spokane was saying the increase may have been due to exchange rates (except that the exchange rate went the wrong way for that to be the cause!) not directly compare price discrepancy between the two currencies plus I believe the original complaint was a European tax inclusive pre increase price comparison to a European tax inclusive post increase price so nothing to do with prices inclusive or exclusive of tax!

Cheers, Graham.

I had thought that exchange rates might be a factor, but the euro has been increasing in value versus the Yen, so prices should be dropping.

There might also be an issue of tax inclusion in the European price?

Using exchange rates to explain price shifts is always dicey, especially with Japanese companies because they will probably buy raw materials etc in dollars and they may do cost projections in dollars so it is not the Euro rate shift that is important but the dollar shift - and even then they may be amortising costs from many months ago.

AlanF

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2018, 01:27:16 PM »
According to local stores, the prices here in the UK are expected to come back down by the end of the year. It's mostly a case of Canon using the dipping value of the pound to get their profit margins back up. I can only assume that the rest of the EU is also having the price rise so it doesn't look like just one place is being picked out. This is similar to Fuji's EU price hike a year ago.

Basically, like with everything else in the EU right now, blame Brexit and Theresa May.

That argument doesn't hold water. Canon had already adjusted the UK prices for the falling pound, which has been at its present level for about 18 months. The Canon 100-400mm II is a typical example of a lens that has gone up by 25%.  Netherlands, Germany etc  have had the same price hikes as the UK and their prices are within a few % of the UK's (2300-2400€ vs £2000. The 400mm DO II, which hasn't had price hikes is slightly cheaper in Germany than the UK (7029€ vs £6500). The differences in price are within currency fluctuations and the differences in VAT.

I don't think either you can blame Mrs May for the racist regimes in former East Bloc EU countries and the rise in extreme right wing parties in Austria, Greece, Italy etc.
5D IV, 5DS R, 400mm DO II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, EF 1.8 STM,  EF 24-105, 100-400 II, EF-S 15-85, Sigma 150-600mm C, EOS-M5 15-45, f/2 22, 11-22, Samyang 8mm f/2.8 fisheye: sold 7D II, EOS-M, Powershot G3 X,  Sigma 10-20, EF 300/2.8 II, 70-200/4 IS.

aceflibble

• EOS 80D
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2018, 02:06:29 PM »
^You really need to work on your reading comprehension because wow you could not have missed the point, or the joke, any more than that.

AlanF

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2018, 02:27:48 PM »
^You really need to work on your reading comprehension because wow you could not have missed the point, or the joke, any more than that.

Accusing others of lacking "reading comprehension" seems to be your stock insult.

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=32992.msg673830#msg673830

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=34618.msg711194#msg711194
5D IV, 5DS R, 400mm DO II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, EF 1.8 STM,  EF 24-105, 100-400 II, EF-S 15-85, Sigma 150-600mm C, EOS-M5 15-45, f/2 22, 11-22, Samyang 8mm f/2.8 fisheye: sold 7D II, EOS-M, Powershot G3 X,  Sigma 10-20, EF 300/2.8 II, 70-200/4 IS.

Mikehit

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2018, 04:37:38 PM »
If the joke falls flat maybe you ought to look at the way you tell them.

aceflibble

• EOS 80D
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2018, 10:49:44 AM »
Okay, let's break this down.

That argument doesn't hold water.
That argument
argument

It's not an 'argument', it's reporting the supplied information. There is no 'argument' being made.

There, job done. Do you see how easy that was?

edit:
Oh, and
Accusing others of lacking "reading comprehension" seems to be your stock insult.
It's not an insult, it's an observation. The fact that you are so quick to see "arguments" and "insults" everywhere suggests you are purposefully looking to be as combative as possible, just for the sake of it. Again, reading comprehension is your friend. I am not responsible for you or others choosing to forgo it.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2018, 10:52:48 AM by aceflibble »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2018, 10:49:44 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2018, 02:00:27 PM »
It's not an 'argument', it's reporting the supplied information. There is no 'argument' being made.

ar·gu·ment  ˈärɡyəmənt  noun
1. an exchange of diverging or opposite views, typically a heated or angry one.
2. a reason or set of reasons given with the aim of persuading others that an action or idea is right or wrong.

Statements like, “According to...,” and, “It’s mostly a case of...,” and, “This is similar to...,” and, “Basically, like with everything else...,” are clearly commensurate with you making an argument as covered by definition #2 above.

Making an argument should not be confused with being argumentative, although in this case, both clearly apply to you.

If the above is too challenging for your reading comprehension level, I’ll simplify: you’re being an ass.
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

haggie

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2018, 02:25:56 PM »
Hi neuro,

now you entered this thread,  :)
what is your idea on the extreme and selective price increases on some Canon gear in Holland?

What I find peculiar is that:
-the price increase is quite high - 20 % or even a bit higher;
-it applies to specific Canon camera's (the 80D and 7D Mk II) and others are not or hardly affected (some lenses are also affected, but again: not all);
-these price increases has been in Holland only (at least until yesterday).

I cannot see any common characteristic on the equipment that is involved: it are not the most recent models, it is not restricted to e.g. cropped gear (e.g. the EF 100-400 II also increased tremendously in price).
Canon EOS 80D          ;          Canon EOS 7D Mk II          ;          Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS II USM          ;         Canon EF-S 15-85 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM          ;          Canon  EF-S 10-18 IS STM f/4.5-5.6

Rampuri

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2018, 03:02:23 PM »

what is your idea on the extreme and selective price increases on some Canon gear in Holland?

The prices have been increased in Slovakia as well. 7D mark II and 80D are +/- for the same price like you mentioned. 6D mark II has gone 80 euros up and 5DS and 5DS R maybe 200 euros.

I was just about to buy 6D mark II at the end of March :-/
6D Mark II, 7D, some lenses, some flashes

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2018, 03:07:56 PM »

No idea.  As was pointed out in another thread, manufacturers will sometimes raise prices prior to offering a discount (the discount bringing the price to the previous regular price).  Some countries prohibit such practices (I have no idea if Holland is among them), so to get around that manufacturers will adjust prices with enough of a delay prior to the discount to avoid the regulation.
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

Don Haines

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2018, 03:41:46 PM »

ar·gu·ment  ˈärɡyəmənt  noun
1. an exchange of diverging or opposite views, typically a heated or angry one.
2. a reason or set of reasons given with the aim of persuading others that an action or idea is right or wrong.

Statements like, “According to...,” and, “It’s mostly a case of...,” and, “This is similar to...,” and, “Basically, like with everything else...,” are clearly commensurate with you making an argument as covered by definition #2 above.

Making an argument should not be confused with being argumentative, although in this case, both clearly apply to you.

If the above is too challenging for your reading comprehension level, I’ll simplify: you’re being an ass.
this is an international site.... for many, English is not their first language so a lot of the nuances are lost on them... on the other hand, a lot of the nuances are lost on native speakers. Your explanation is great, but the last line was not needed... come on, you are better than that....
The best camera is the one in your hands

cinema-dslr

• EOS Rebel SL2
    • youtube channel
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2018, 03:51:10 PM »

No idea.  As was pointed out in another thread, manufacturers will sometimes raise prices prior to offering a discount (the discount bringing the price to the previous regular price).  Some countries prohibit such practices (I have no idea if Holland is among them), so to get around that manufacturers will adjust prices with enough of a delay prior to the discount to avoid the regulation.

Good point!
It might be a prelude of a birders "special discount" coming soon, as the  affected items seem to be crop bodies and longer lenses
Canon eos C200,Canon eos C100DAF+ ninjablade,3* XC10's, 7D, 40d, 17-40 f4L, 70-300L,24-105 f4L ,24-70 f2,8L, 100 f2,8L is macro , ef-s 10-22,  samyang 8 f3,5 fisheye, sigma 18-35 f1,8 Art,sigma 50-100 f1,8 Art

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2018, 03:51:10 PM »

Patlezinc

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2018, 03:05:39 AM »
At photophil.de you can find the 6dII at 1739€. After cashback it is 1539€.
My wife just ordered one there (and with a rebate of 40€ Because affiliate to a french forum it is 1499€ + 29€ for shipping). At this price it is a good option.
Same with 5d4. Finishes at 3099€.
5d4; 85 L IS 1.4, MP-E 65 2.8, 100 L IS 2.8, 35 L II 1.4, 135 L 2.0, 24-70 L IS 4.0

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2018, 03:05:39 AM »