June 22, 2018, 07:02:13 PM

Author Topic: Northlight reviews the TS-E 135mm F4L Macro  (Read 5289 times)

canonnews

• Administrator
  • EOS Rebel T7i
    • CanonNews
Northlight reviews the TS-E 135mm F4L Macro
« on: March 07, 2018, 11:37:19 AM »
Keith, tilt-shift expert extraordinaire has posted his review of the TS-E 135mm F4L Macro.

Detailing not only sample images, but details on why you’d use such a lens in the real world, Keith’s review is a must read if you are thinking of purchasing the TS-E 135mm.

His conclusions;

What a lens – in many ways one of the best quality lenses I’ve seriously tested.

The 10º of tilt, 12mm of shift and wide open sharpness make it a joy to use for product photography, giving a level of creative control previously more in the realm of large format view cameras. Make no mistake, this is a lens that you will have to work with to get the best from.

Read more here.. 

« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 11:39:58 AM by canonnews »

canon rumors FORUM

Northlight reviews the TS-E 135mm F4L Macro
« on: March 07, 2018, 11:37:19 AM »

ethanz

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • 1DX II
    • my website
Re: Northlight reviews the TS-E 135mm F4L Macro
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2018, 12:24:03 PM »
Regarding Tilt Shift lenses, I've never used them but I've heard Canon's are by far the best. A Nikon friend recently told me that Nikon's were excellent. Which ones are better?
1DX II, 16-35L f/4 IS, 24-70L f/2.8 II, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 200-400L f/4 IS w/1.4 EXT
http://ethanzentz.com/

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2018, 01:21:10 PM »
Regarding Tilt Shift lenses, I've never used them but I've heard Canon's are by far the best. A Nikon friend recently told me that Nikon's were excellent. Which ones are better?

The latest Canon ones, 17, 24 MkII, 50, 90 and 135 all have independent tilt and swing rotation. Only the Nikon PC-E 19 has the same feature. I find that independent rotation useful and wouldn't buy a T/S lens that doesn't have it.

IQ wise the Canon's are tough to beat and they all take the 1.4 and 2x TC's well with little loss of IQ.

P.S. Canon's implementation of Live View, the only way to get the best results from T/S lenses, is much better with Canon cameras than Nikon cameras.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

jolyonralph

• EOS 5D Mark IV
    • Every Other Shot
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2018, 01:29:53 PM »
P.S. Canon's implementation of Live View, the only way to get the best results from T/S lenses, is much better with Canon cameras than Nikon cameras.

I would certainly imagine that Canon's implementation of Live View would be better on their own cameras :)

Actually, the BEST way to get results for product photography is to use the camera tethered and use your computer screen to adjust focus.
Jolyon Ralph

Cameras: 5DSR, A7RII, 5D III, EOS M6/M5/M3, Mavic Pro, DXO One.  Oh, and more lenses than I care to count.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2018, 02:05:58 PM »

I would certainly imagine that Canon's implementation of Live View would be better on their own cameras :)

Actually, the BEST way to get results for product photography is to use the camera tethered and use your computer screen to adjust focus.

That's still Live View.  ;)
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

aceflibble

• EOS 80D
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2018, 02:43:57 PM »
Shame there's no portrait examples, 'cause that's where this lens is most interesting. Had a play with the 90mm for portraits and product and it's definitely superb for the latter—I have ordered two for that purpose—but 90mm is just a little too short for a tight headshot. Been trying to get hold of the 135 to test, but it seems like they're snapped up the moment they land on these shores.

Sporgon

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 02:57:15 PM »
Had a play with the 90mm for portraits and product and it's definitely superb for the latter—I have ordered two for that purpose

Stereo photography, or 3D ?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2018, 02:57:15 PM »

keithcooper

• EOS 6D Mark II
    • Northlight Images
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2018, 03:10:53 PM »
Shame there's no portrait examples, 'cause that's where this lens is most interesting. Had a play with the 90mm for portraits and product and it's definitely superb for the latter—I have ordered two for that purpose—but 90mm is just a little too short for a tight headshot. Been trying to get hold of the 135 to test, but it seems like they're snapped up the moment they land on these shores.

Quite intentional I'm afraid...
I only had the lens for a relatively short period, and Karen won't let me publish any pics of her :-)

To be honest, it's also a lens I'd just never think of using for portraits, all that sharpness...  I'd much rather have the Canon 135/2 (if I did such work)  Any use of tilt just looks too gimmicky for my tastes, but YMMV, and if you got that much spare cash why not ;-)

johnhenry

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2018, 03:37:14 PM »

Zeiss 35mm f/28 PC is extraordinary

I really dont think this lens has much utility to offer. Its a lens not many have asked for

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2018, 04:49:07 PM »
I really dont think this lens has much utility to offer. Its a lens not many have asked for

I really do think Canon knows more about the lens market than you.
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

LDS

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2018, 04:50:25 PM »

It looks they are enough for Canon to make one - fields like product photography may not attract much attention and may not win you a place in an exhibition, but there's demand and one can make good money. Just look around you how many images are product photography - the whole ads business is built around it, and there's more (magazines, catalogs, packaging, etc.)

BTW, AFAIK the Zeiss has shift only, not tilt. And it's 35mm, not 135.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2018, 04:54:51 PM by LDS »

slclick

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2018, 07:55:36 PM »

Canon and Nikon are dirt cheap compared to these....

https://www.schneideroptics.com/ecommerce/CatalogSubCategoryDisplay.aspx?CID=1822
I wear my 'I don't shoot video ' badge proudly

HarryFilm

• EOS M5
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 08:23:33 PM »
Had a play with the 90mm for portraits and product and it's definitely superb for the latter—I have ordered two for that purpose

Stereo photography, or 3D ?

---

With stereoscopic imaging, you DO NOT want to shift the focal plane but rather correct for parallax which requires rotating and turning the ENTIRE sensor AND lens as a single unit. With tilt shift however, you CAN narrow down the focal plane to such a level that you can create a wide-view or tall-view 3D-like viewpoint on a single product or object IF you shoot at two differing angles from the same camera location.

With some judicious post-production, you can create a stacked image that when combined keeps a small area of the image fully focused and the rest unfocused in such a way that the "Centre of Attention" looks like it is coming out at you just like in the movies, even though it is only a single still image (i.e. it is a combination of two differently exposed images!). It is designed to take advantage of foibles within the human vision system and while I haven't tested that usage, it might work for moving video!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2018, 08:23:33 PM »

DrToast

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2018, 10:33:03 PM »

Obviously I'll sound biased because I'm on a Canon forum, but I don't think Nikon tilt-shift offerings are remotely in the same class as Canons. And I think that applied even before these three most recent lenses came out, so it's even more true now.

ozwineguy

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 11:11:08 PM »
It's expensive and for special purposes. I'd never have the use for one of them, and can't afford one anyway.

But far out, every time I see it, I desperately want to get one. It's gorgeous, and exploring tilt-shift at that focal length would be so much fun.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 11:11:08 PM »