July 23, 2014, 06:37:08 AM

Author Topic: Ziv Koren on shooting with the EOS-1D X  (Read 2605 times)

Z

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Ziv Koren on shooting with the EOS-1D X
« on: February 17, 2012, 12:43:56 PM »
Made aware of this story by http://www.the-digital-picture.com

Link Ziv Koren's experiences with the 1D X: http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/ziv_koren_eos_1dx.do

Bear in mind this is an "interview" with Canon Professional Network, so just treat it as an advertisement really.

Still, he does mention (and more importantly, they do print)

From my testing, and looking at the images I produced, I think that [ISO] 25,600 is about the same in terms of noise performance as the EOS-1D Mark IV is when shooting around 4,000 to 5,000 ISO. As such, I’d be totally happy to shoot at ISO 25,600 on the EOS-1D X without having to worry about it. Even if I had to go higher, I wouldn’t see it is a major problem because the files really are that good.

But of course, this is in JPEG only...

canon rumors FORUM

Ziv Koren on shooting with the EOS-1D X
« on: February 17, 2012, 12:43:56 PM »

briansquibb

Re: Ziv Koren on shooting with the EOS-1D X
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 03:20:08 PM »
Made aware of this story by http://www.the-digital-picture.com

Link Ziv Koren's experiences with the 1D X: http://cpn.canon-europe.com/content/education/technical/ziv_koren_eos_1dx.do

Bear in mind this is an "interview" with Canon Professional Network, so just treat it as an advertisement really.

Still, he does mention (and more importantly, they do print)

From my testing, and looking at the images I produced, I think that [ISO] 25,600 is about the same in terms of noise performance as the EOS-1D Mark IV is when shooting around 4,000 to 5,000 ISO. As such, I’d be totally happy to shoot at ISO 25,600 on the EOS-1D X without having to worry about it. Even if I had to go higher, I wouldn’t see it is a major problem because the files really are that good.

For me I shoot in RAW - 1 stop would be very good so I could shoot at 3200 without a problem

bigblue1ca

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 07:51:11 PM »
Ziv only got to see the JPEGs, but had this to say:

CPN: How have you found the image quality?

ZK: “Because I had the camera so early in the production cycle, the DPP software for RAW conversion was not yet available, so, although I was shooting in both RAW and JPEG, the only images I have so far seen have been the JPEGs – all the images included here are from the JPEGs. I can’t say I’ll give up shooting RAW, but the JPEGs have been very accurate and more than acceptable for exhibition printing, magazine use and publication in the brochure about the British Red Cross.

Even the white balance, which can be tricky in mixed lighting conditions, was so accurate that I barely had to make any changes to the images, in terms of colour, once I’d finished shooting. The resolution was very good too. Because the images are so clean and sharp, the level of detail captured is unbelievable, despite being ‘only’ 18 Megapixels.

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 08:21:09 PM »
I was at my local dealer today, and asked about pricing and dates for the 1DX.  He said orders were placed about a week ago, but could not give a availability date or price.  No word of 5D MK III either, except lots of photographers are asking him.  They have also placed their orders for D4's, but no firm release date yet.

They do a lot of sales thru their online store, www.onecall.com, but its nice to be able to demo before you buy.

KeithR

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 04:14:37 AM »

Anything a camera's jpeg engine can do should be achievable and then some by shooting Raw and converting/processing well.

Ricku

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 04:34:07 AM »

Anything a camera's jpeg engine can do should be achievable and then some by shooting Raw and converting/processing well.
precisely.

Viggo

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 05:51:38 AM »

+1 for that! Lightroom 4 will demolish anything the 1d X can do in camera. In fact, the difference I see in my revamped images done in Lr3 to the Beta of Lr 4 shows me pretty much what to expect in terms of improved IQ. The full version of Lr4 and the raw's from the 1d X will be something else. Needless to say, I'm not so much worried. I think both DR and noise will be waaaaaaay better than out of camera jpeg.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 05:51:38 AM »