June 25, 2018, 12:44:24 AM

Author Topic: In praise of what we Germans call "Edelschrott"  (Read 1401 times)

axtstern

• EOS M5
  • EOS M(ediochre)
In praise of what we Germans call "Edelschrott"
« on: March 13, 2018, 09:44:23 AM »
Before you have to Google it.. Edelschrott translating it by the letter means (Noble Trash)

From time to time I read here about the issues thse have that take Pictures at Events or concerts. Using fast primes and Feeling the Need to Change lenses rather often. My drill in past was to take of rear cover of ne lens while in bag, unmount mounted lens drop unmounted lens without rear or front cover into the back, Mount new lens, put rear cover of new lens on old lens, curse because of the missed Situation and than from time to time repeat the process. When the concert is over, all lenses in my bag will have no front cover because the ramble arround somewhere in the front pouch and I feel a little guilty for how I have treated my equipment.

Well last weekend I went out with a 100 2.0 and 35mm 2.0 from Yongnuo. Mounted on an old Eos 1 D IV my bag was probably twice the value of what the bag protected.

Awesome feeling... whatever time and hazzle these old focus mechanics generate, whatever image quality these lenese don't provide... you can wage the battle for the perfect shot with an army of expendables. Felt at one moment towards the end of the show tempted to throw the 35mm after the Artist just to get his attention.

canon rumors FORUM

In praise of what we Germans call "Edelschrott"
« on: March 13, 2018, 09:44:23 AM »

Hector1970

• EOS 5DS R
    • Flickr
Re: In praise of what we Germans call "Edelschrott"
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 11:09:58 AM »
If you practiced you could unmount the 35mm, throw it, and mount the 100mm in time to photograph the 35mm hitting the rock star. It would be a great shot and nobody would realise it was you did it. You could practice with a rock no lens on the 1D IV.
If you threw the 1DIV and used a second camera you'd be bound to get a much better impact shot.

BeenThere

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 12:38:52 PM »
“Edelschrott”    I think there is a body powder that treats this condition.  😆

Maximilian

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • The dark side - I've been there
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 02:38:21 PM »
My drill in past was to ... and I feel a little guilty for how I have treated my equipment.
I can feel with you, acting sometimes quite the same.
Something quite helpful is to have the lens hood mounted. This helps a little bit from getting the front element (or filter) scratched or broken ;-)

Quote from: axtstern
... tempted to throw the 35mm after the Artist just to get his attention.
Glad you didn't do that.
Just imagine camera equipment was forbidden in even more events because of potential use as a weapon.  :P ;)
sometimes you have to close your eyes to see properly.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 02:38:21 PM »