April 27, 2018, 01:30:05 AM

Author Topic: Will it be worth waiting for?  (Read 5634 times)

Busted Knuckles

• EOS M5
  • Enjoy this breath and the next
Re: Will it be worth waiting for?
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2018, 08:28:10 AM »
Interesting comments.

Bit if a troll topic.

Rather than spreadsheet features, what 3 features are hding back your images from the next level?

What features are inbetween the "almost got it" you have now and the "got it" that you are looking for?

Canon, Nikon etc 1st duty is to their shareholders, their second is to..... oh wait there isn't a second.

Way too much gear to list, terminal GAS.  Grand kids will have to buy their own cars.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2018, 08:28:10 AM »

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2018, 09:15:59 AM »
The D500 has a maximum of 1.6 stops more DR than the 7D MkII at equivalent ISO settings. That can be a significant difference. The trouble with that and the differences in real life action shooting is that the cameras are generally rarely used at base ISO.

At 800 ISO the difference is 0.55 of a stop, that is not significant, at higher ISO settings the differences are even less.

This is a good reason why some people say the differences are massive and others not so much, what part of the ISO range do you predominantly use your camera? If it is below 800 ISO then there is a good point to be made for the newer Nikon's DR performance, if, on the other hand, your ISO rarely goes below 800 and generally is higher, well the truth is that Nikon superiority becomes considerably less important.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

degos

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #32 on: March 20, 2018, 01:05:00 PM »
Rather than spreadsheet features, what 3 features are hding back your images from the next level?
What features are inbetween the "almost got it" you have now and the "got it" that you are looking for?

1. Autofocus that actually understands the scene.  Imagine DPAF generating a depth map, determining that the subject is at 300 metres and decreasing whereas the background sky is at infinity.  No more wandering off to focus on grey overcast!

2. EVF mode for the viewfinder to permit easier tracking of subjects when shooting in Live View ( for reduced vibration )

3. Metering that understands colours beyond 18% grey.  Why in 2018 do I have to keep using spot metering and the zone-system in my head to get a decent exposure, at the same time juggling shutter-aperture-ISO?  Photographing an airshow is mentally exhausting, I thought technology was supposed to help me!

Unlikely that any of that will appear on a 7D3, we'll just have a refinement of how things have always worked.  And we'll buy it because there's no option.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 01:09:01 PM by degos »

Talys

• EOS 5DS R
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2018, 04:13:17 PM »
1. Autofocus that actually understands the scene.  Imagine DPAF generating a depth map, determining that the subject is at 300 metres and decreasing whereas the background sky is at infinity.  No more wandering off to focus on grey overcast!

This certainly is not the Sony, except with people.  It's very good at recognizing humans and prioritizing focus on them and Eye AF is a wonderful feature.  And you can even switch it off, if you don't want to prioritize people.

But for everything else, and I mean everything -- dogs, cats, birds, buildings, cars, trees, flowers, bugs, houses -- it's terrible.  Mostly, it just grabs the nearest thing to you, whether it's a droplet of water or a blade of grass, and ignores the rest of the scene.

This isn't unique to Sony, of course.  On Canon, I also always end up reverting to single point autofocus and selecting manually telling the camera what I want to focus on.

2. EVF mode for the viewfinder to permit easier tracking of subjects when shooting in Live View ( for reduced vibration )

If we're talking Sony, I get way more vibration on Sony than Canon, when take a photo, because on Canon, I can roll my index finger over the shutter button.  On the Sony, the ridge around the shutter is raised so high that I have to jab at it and jostle the camera with ever shutter press.

On the subject of subject tracking, again, it's really good at humans.  With my cat, dogs, or birds, it is hit and miss.  Often, it shows a green square around the subject, but in fact, the animal is not in focus.  If I change it to just a single point, the miss rate is much lower (as long as I keep it trained on the subject).

3. Metering that understands colours beyond 18% grey.  Why in 2018 do I have to keep using spot metering and the zone-system in my head to get a decent exposure, at the same time juggling shutter-aperture-ISO?  Photographing an airshow is mentally exhausting, I thought technology was supposed to help me!

I think Canon's evaluative metering does a superior job to the Sony multi-zone metering.  Photographing things in the sky is a particular grump of mine, because the A7R3 seems incapable of metering correctly in blue sky (usually underexposing), even with a focus-linked spot metering, and the camera pointing right at the subject.

That said, Canon metering can be off too.  It's really important to take test shots ahead of the action and see how many EV's metering is off by.

I both systems, I find the best way is to set shutter and aperture and use auto ISO, and just watch to ensure ISO is where I want it.  That said, the Sony Auto ISO system (which you can use in aperture or shutter priority, too) made it very fluid to set minimum and maximum ISOs, as well as minimum shutter speeds.

It's not a feature I actually use, but I do appreciate it.

[/quote]

Canon, Nikon etc 1st duty is to their shareholders, their second is to..... oh wait there isn't a second.

That's a little bit cynical.  I'm pretty sure that there are a good number of employees in all of the companies that genuinely want to produce great camera equipment -- as well as help with shareholder return!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #33 on: March 20, 2018, 04:13:17 PM »