August 23, 2014, 12:06:00 AM

Author Topic: Announcement Soon [CR3]  (Read 24967 times)

briansquibb

Re: Announcement Soon [CR3]
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2012, 08:09:57 AM »
If it uses the 1D4's AF system unchanged, it will cover a relatively smaller area on FF (unless they scale it up, in which case it wouldn't be the 1D4's system).

Possibly it will use the 1Ds3 AF

Kahuna

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2012, 11:11:33 AM »
I just can't wait for this announcement !!! Not for the same reasons as most of you.  I've been trying to add up how many people on this site are jumping to Nikon "if the 5DMIII/X..." doesn't have the same specs as the 1DX ... for no more than $3K.  Ebay and Craigs list will be flooded by a ton of cheap used canon equipment.

Wahoowa

« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2012, 11:20:42 AM »
What I don't understand is why they would want to announce this on the 28th. Why not tomorrow at WPPI? Especially, one of its purposes is for studio photographers.

marinien

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2012, 11:56:29 AM »
If it uses the 1D4's AF system unchanged, it will cover a relatively smaller area on FF (unless they scale it up, in which case it wouldn't be the 1D4's system).

As I said in another thread, I think that all the 1 series up to the 1D4 have the same AF surface of 8x15mm with 45 focus points (the EOS 3 was the first to have these characteristics). The Canon expands this surface to 8x19mm for the 1D X. I am quite sure that my 1D2N has a larger AF coverage than the 1Ds2 which has the same AF system.

Brian, as you own both the 1D4 and the 1Ds3, can you confirm this information? Thanks!
7D | EF-S 17-55 | EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro | 580EX II | Benro C3780T + Markins M20

EOS 5D Mark III

« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2012, 11:57:28 AM »
I don't belive in this until I see some CR3 rumors. Two weeks left and all we get is different CR1 rumors all the time.

briansquibb

« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2012, 12:49:17 PM »

As I said in another thread, I think that all the 1 series up to the 1D4 have the same AF surface of 8x15mm with 45 focus points (the EOS 3 was the first to have these characteristics). The Canon expands this surface to 8x19mm for the 1D X. I am quite sure that my 1D2N has a larger AF coverage than the 1Ds2 which has the same AF system.

Brian, as you own both the 1D4 and the 1Ds3, can you confirm this information? Thanks!

Difficult to do it just through the viewfinder but they appear to have the same coverage. Obviously the AF point will be different sized due to the sensor differences

moreorless

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2012, 01:02:00 PM »
I can't say I know much about the video side of things but might the 4K DSLR and the rumoured high megapixel 5D actually be the same thing? 44 megapixel downsampled to 4k?

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2012, 01:33:32 PM »
I can't say I know much about the video side of things but might the 4K DSLR and the rumoured high megapixel 5D actually be the same thing? 44 megapixel downsampled to 4k?

Approx 44.6 MP on FF would allow crop on it APS-H sized area, in which each second line could give 4k video.

4k video=4096 x 2160 or 3840 x 2160 px
44.6MP on FF=8184 x 5456 px

44.6MP on FF = approx 28MP on APS-H

28MP on APS-H = 6480 x 4320 px

So from FF 44,6MP you get 4k video APS-H cropped
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #68 on: February 18, 2012, 01:54:20 PM »
've been trying to add up how many people on this site are jumping to Nikon "if the 5DMIII/X..."

I doubt many people that say they're switching to Nikon will actually do it. Expanding upon that, I'd say less than 50 percent of the people on here that are contributing to the 5DIII hoopla will actually buy one for various reasons. Maybe the product won't be what they're expecting. Maybe it will exceed their expectations, but when push comes to shove, they'll find a better way to spend $3,000. That's why it's called "hype," after all :)

I've got a D800 on pre-order, but if Canon counters with a competitive 5DIII, I'll cancel it and stick with Canon. However, if I didn't make a living with my images, and photography was just something I did for fun, it wouldn't be worth the hassle of switching systems.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 02:30:07 PM by V8Beast »

daveswan

« Reply #69 on: February 18, 2012, 03:22:17 PM »

Approx 44.6 MP on FF would allow crop on it APS-H sized area, in which each second line could give 4k video.

4k video=4096 x 2160 or 3840 x 2160 px
44.6MP on FF=8184 x 5456 px

44.6MP on FF = approx 28MP on APS-H

28MP on APS-H = 6480 x 4320 px

So from FF 44,6MP you get 4k video APS-H cropped

My understanding is that the cinema DSLR will output a 4k MJPEG which will be the whole of the resolution of an "H" crop, no pixel binning or even worse line skiping, a kludge which I hope has been consigned to the dustbin of history.

I just hope the video from the 5 whatever will be a clean I-Frame codec with about 12 stops DR like the
C300. The 5D already does 10+ stops according to the Zaccuto shootout.

Kahuna

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2012, 03:28:42 PM »
've been trying to add up how many people on this site are jumping to Nikon "if the 5DMIII/X..."

, if I didn't make a living with my images,

Very valid point and would be forced to agree with you.  I am a mere hobbyist at best so my photography is a money pit.

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2012, 03:53:50 PM »
Very valid point and would be forced to agree with you.  I am a mere hobbyist at best so my photography is a money pit.

It certainly wasn't meant to be a criticism in any way. There's just no way I'd put up with the hassle and cost of switching systems unless I was chasing some money at the end of a tunnel. If you're shooting for fun, how much does Brand X's marginal advantage in tech specs really affect how much you enjoy your shooting experience? 

Shawn_Lights

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2012, 04:17:43 PM »
If the 4K body was this close to release then wouldnt it have made sense for Canon to show/tell more about it at the C300 launch? I got the impression that it was still some way away and was included only to counteract RED's release.

I been lurking this site for a while now and felt it's obvious that most aren't cinematographers/videographers because many don't understand the C300's purpose and feel that the 4k DSLR will be undercutting the C300. Which is understandable, these cameras are photography cameras first.

I finally took the time to register for the site (YAY!). I'm a filmmaker and I'm looking forward to the new 5D and the 4K DSLR camera.

The truth is the Canon C300's market is for Broadcast and professional event videos, not film. Sure it can easily be used for film and if you have it, I say use it for that as well (1080p is still dominate, and it's amazing in low light). However, the C300 is built around meeting the broadcast requirements not the needs of filmmakers. With that being said, the announcement in Hollywood truly confuses the audience. They should have announced it in a different way.

The 4k camera seems to be targeted towards filmmakers. I expect it to have a recording limit like our current DSLRs have. This isn't much of an issue for filmmakers because rarely is take 12 mins long. Most are under a minute or so. Films require more resolution than broadcasting (1080p).

Canon can justify both cameras being available. If I was mainly a wedding videographer I'll go with the C300 for its recording time, battery life, and for its impressive 1080p resolution (don't need 4k for weddings). For my films, I'll go with the 4K DSLR. Mainly for 4K (so we can have amazing resolution that allows you to sometimes be able to re-frame in post), 10-bit (Canon knows we want that) for color grading, and mobile form factor.

That's the way I see it. Loving the info you guys are providing. Keep it coming.

Picsfor

« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2012, 06:15:20 PM »
cyanide tablet anyone?  :o

Some desperate statements beginning to appear!

ecka

• 6D
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2012, 08:35:53 PM »
It is about time for a new Rebel (650D) :). Perhaps this is what is going to be announced on 28th.
FF + primes !