July 21, 2018, 12:15:10 AM

Author Topic: Canon EF 50 Prime Ongoing Dire Need Confirmed  (Read 10378 times)

NancyP

• EOS 5DS R
Re: Canon EF 50 Prime Ongoing Dire Need Confirmed
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2018, 06:07:26 PM »
I like shooting at the 40 to 50 mm focal length.
I don't think that it is unreasonable to expect that there might be more people out there that might like a good 50 mm non-focus-by-wire fast lens, maybe with IS, by Canon. That being said, the Sigma Art 35 f/1.4 is a nice lens. The Sigma Art 50 is a huge lens, but no doubt quite good as well. There still seem to be the portrait photographers out there who don't want the clinically sharp approach and like the Canon 50 f/1.2L.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2018, 06:07:26 PM »

slclick

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2018, 06:53:42 PM »
I don't think that it is unreasonable to expect that there might be more people out there that might like a good 50 mm non-focus-by-wire fast lens, maybe with IS, by Canon. That being said, the Sigma Art 35 f/1.4 is a nice lens. The Sigma Art 50 is a huge lens, but no doubt quite good as well. There still seem to be the portrait photographers out there who don't want the clinically sharp approach and like the Canon 50 f/1.2L.

I love shooting at 40...10mm at semi wide is a big difference to me.
That's it, I'm switching to Rollei

lexaclarke

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2018, 07:02:09 PM »
I know it's a case of preference and YMMV but I never understood the great desire for a 50. Wide, tele sure but what our normal vision is most close to? Journalism maybe....
As an event reporter, I find 50mm pretty useless. 35mm is what I go to. Most of my contemporary use either a 24-70, 16-35, 24-105, 35mm or 28mm. I don't think I know anyone who uses a 50mm as their main lens.

The thing Canon and other companies push 50mm for most these days seems to be as a beginner's first portrait lens which can then be an intermediate environmental portrait lens once someone has added an 85mm+ to their kit. I don't know if that's actually how the sales and market use work out but that is what most of the advertising seems to be built around.

stevelee

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2018, 07:26:12 PM »
The thing Canon and other companies push 50mm for most these days seems to be as a beginner's first portrait lens which can then be an intermediate environmental portrait lens once someone has added an 85mm+ to their kit. I don't know if that's actually how the sales and market use work out but that is what most of the advertising seems to be built around.

I bought the 50mm f/1.4 to use as a portrait lens on my Rebel. It took me a while to figure out what lens to get. I knew I wanted to approximate the portrait features of an 85mm on FF, but didn't know what characteristic I was trying to emulate. Was there some magical quality to glass in that range that made portraits look good, or was it the camera-to-subject distance that I wanted to preserve? It turned out (as you guys know) to be the latter. So I got the 80mm "equivalent" for the Rebel, and had plenty of "bucket" (for you Hyacinth fans who mispronounce Japanese) wide open.

Since I bought my 6D2, I haven't used this lens at all. My 100mm f/2.8 macro works great for portraits right now, and I don't shoot very many, so getting an 85mm is somewhere down my list. I needed a recent picture of myself, so yesterday I put the 6D2 with the 100mm on a tripod, got out the cheap generic wireless trigger, flipped the screen around so I could compose the shots, and set a delay so I could concentrate on posing after I hit the button. The results were great, even given the subject matter. The lens is way too sharp, though, and picked up blemishes and such that I don't see when I look in the mirror. I didn't bother to look at some settings, and shot everything at f/7.1 in AV mode. I didn't need to blur the blank wall behind me anyway, and everything was in sharp focus.

Unless I want to shoot at f/1.4 or f/2, the reality is that anything I might want to shoot in the 50mm range on the 6D2 will be with the 24mm-105mm STM anyway.

lexaclarke

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2018, 07:52:14 PM »
plenty of "bucket" (for you Hyacinth fans who mispronounce Japanese)
10/10 reference, I'll have to remember that one.

Ah-Keong

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2018, 11:17:02 PM »
Beter if it's not an L. There needs to be a non-L 50mm other than the super cheap and cheesy STM f/1.8. The 35mm f/2 IS is a great lens and didn't need to be an L, no reason the 50mm f/1.4 IS couldn't also be a regular model. All adding the L would do is put the price up.

Was thinking Canon would continue doing what they did for the 85mm f/1,4L IS.
modern, sharper optics while maintain the legendary double gauss magic of the 85mm f/1,2L.

there is quite a lot of competition in the 50mm. From Yongnuo to Tamron VC to Zeiss....
Canon 7D Mark II | Canon EF-S 10-18mm | Sigma DC 18-35mm ART | EF 70-200mm f/2,8L | 100mm Makro-Planar ZE
Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT | 600EX-RT

Ah-Keong

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2018, 11:19:46 PM »

Hope Canon also update the 50mm f/1,2L . The optics is magical....
Canon 7D Mark II | Canon EF-S 10-18mm | Sigma DC 18-35mm ART | EF 70-200mm f/2,8L | 100mm Makro-Planar ZE

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2018, 11:19:46 PM »

stevelee

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2018, 11:40:41 PM »

And while so far, as I've said, I haven't used my 50mm on the 6D2, I realize that many of the best pictures I've ever made were taken in the 1960s with a fixed 45mm lens on the Yashica rangefinder camera I had before I got my first SLR.

lexaclarke

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2018, 06:25:04 PM »
Hope Canon also update the 50mm f/1,2L . The optics is magical....
I think the reason they're keeping both the 85mm 1.2 and the 85mm 1.4 IS is because those 1.2 lenses can't really be improved without totally changing how they look. So they make 1.4 IS versions instead. That way the people who just want optical quality can get the 1.4 IS version and the people who want the nice rendering can get the 1.2 version. The way I understand it, the 1.2s have that 'look' because they're not designed for total sharpness and clarity. If you make a lens which is sharper and clearer then it has a less pleasing rendering and vice-versa. That's why Sigma and Tamron lenses are super sharp but have crappier bokeh. At least that's how I understand it.
So I don't think the 50mm f/1.2L could be updated without ruining it's look. Putting IS in would change the optical formula and any attempt to make it sharper or clearer would change the rest of the rendering too. They could probably update the AF but that's about it.

Ah-Keong

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2018, 11:16:03 PM »
I think the reason they're keeping both the 85mm 1.2 and the 85mm 1.4 IS is because those 1.2 lenses can't really be improved without totally changing how they look. So they make 1.4 IS versions instead. That way the people who just want optical quality can get the 1.4 IS version and the people who want the nice rendering can get the 1.2 version. The way I understand it, the 1.2s have that 'look' because they're not designed for total sharpness and clarity. If you make a lens which is sharper and clearer then it has a less pleasing rendering and vice-versa. That's why Sigma and Tamron lenses are super sharp but have crappier bokeh. At least that's how I understand it.
So I don't think the 50mm f/1.2L could be updated without ruining it's look. Putting IS in would change the optical formula and any attempt to make it sharper or clearer would change the rest of the rendering too. They could probably update the AF but that's about it.

Exactly.

the f/1,2L are based on classical double gauss optical design that provide the signature look with sufficient sharpness and clarity, the new 85mm f/1,4L IS is based on modern retrofocus optical design that provide more sharpness and clarity but sufficient bokeh.

Was thinking Canon may upgrade the AF motor, internal focusing and add in weatherproof feature in a 85mm f/1,2L mark III

for the 50mm f/1,2L, think there is nothing much to improve, other than some new coatings?  :P

Viggo

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2018, 04:13:17 AM »

for the 50mm f/1,2L, think there is nothing much to improve, other than some new coatings?  :P

Nothing to improve on the 50 L ?? I’d say absolutely everything except handling, build and lenshood.
1dx mkII, 35 L II, Zeiss 50 f2 mp, 85 L IS, Broncolor Siros 800 L.

jolyonralph

• EOS 5D Mark IV
    • Every Other Shot
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2018, 06:25:11 AM »
Nothing to improve on the 50 L ?? I’d say absolutely everything except handling, build and lenshood.

The 50 f/1.2L is a lens you either love or you hate. 

I'm pretty sure we'll eventually see a 50mm f/1.4L IS  added to the lineup and, as with the 85L lenses the 1.2 won't be discontinued - it's a different product for a more specific type of photography.

If all you care about is absolute sharpness you'll get the 1.4L IS version. If you want photos with the quality that only the 50 1.2 lens can give, you'll get that.
Jolyon Ralph

Cameras: 5DSR, A7RII, 5D III, EOS M6/M5/M3, Mavic Pro, DXO One.  Oh, and more lenses than I care to count.

Viggo

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2018, 08:52:02 AM »

The 50 f/1.2L is a lens you either love or you hate. 

I'm pretty sure we'll eventually see a 50mm f/1.4L IS  added to the lineup and, as with the 85L lenses the 1.2 won't be discontinued - it's a different product for a more specific type of photography.

If all you care about is absolute sharpness you'll get the 1.4L IS version. If you want photos with the quality that only the 50 1.2 lens can give, you'll get that.

Agree with that, but the 85 L IS shows that one can have a reasonably sharp lens, yet nice rendering and pop.

I've had 5 copies of the 50 L, an for center composition it's useable, but off center is pretty useless... It's nice for something, but I still feel it can be much sharper and better corrected without looking flat and lose all it's "magic"
1dx mkII, 35 L II, Zeiss 50 f2 mp, 85 L IS, Broncolor Siros 800 L.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2018, 08:52:02 AM »

michi

• EOS M5
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2018, 12:08:08 PM »
I don't have a huge need for a 50mm.  I have the ancient 50/1.8.  And the 50/1.4.  The 1.4 actually produces nice portraits when space is tight.  I do think however Canon could really stand to come up with a high quality 50/1.4 IS to match its other new fantastic lenses.  Would I buy it?  Not sure.  I think the new rumored 135 might be first on my list.

Ah-Keong

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2018, 11:15:33 PM »

that would be addressed by a "EF 50mm f/1,4L" with a modern retrofocus design which may look like the Sigma 50mm f/1,4 Art and the result may affect the handling
 ::)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2018, 11:15:33 PM »