July 18, 2018, 08:29:19 PM

Author Topic: Canon Shows off 360 Degree Intelligent Camera and a 100-400mm Smartphone Camera  (Read 5808 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
    • Canon Rumors
Canon is showing off two new concept cameras at the Photography Show 2018 in the UK. One is a 360 degree intelligent camera and the other is a 100-400mm smartphone camera.

The Canon Smartphone camera attaches to your phone via a flip out lightning port and is lightweight at only 100g. The concept also shows a clip-on viewfinder that can be attached to the lens.

The 360 degree intelligent camera can automatically shoot both stills and video and uses AI to decide whether to shoot video or stills. The camera has 3x zoom and can pan and tilt a full 380 degrees. It can also be attached to the hot shoe on an EOS DSLR.

The folks manning the Canon booth were allowing visitors to try out each concept and asked to fill out a short survey about the products.

Be sure to check out a lot more images over at Photography Blog.

Image Credits // Photography Blog

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

NancyP

• EOS 5DS R
Bird-in-flight photos with your cell phone?

wsmith96

• EOS 5DS R
  • Advancing Amateur
I'd be afraid of a break between the lightning port and the phone.  It may be sturdier than I expect though.  I noticed there was no red ring around it.... :)
What I do today is important because I am exchanging a day of my life for it.
60D | 80D | 5D | 10-22 | Rokinon 14 2.8 | 35 IS | 17-55 | 24-105L | 50 1.4 | 60 Macro | 85 1.8 | 100 2.8L Macro | 70-200 2.8L Mk II | 100-400L Mk II | 430EX II x 3 | ST-E2 | 270EX | 1.4 Extender III

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
I have a Samsung S9 plus which is replacing my old iPhone, but I'd expect it to a a bright daylight camera.

KeithBreazeal

• EOS 5DS R
    • Keith Breazeal Photography
Does the phone qualify as a flippy screen?
Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon 5DS, 5D Mark III, Canon M5, 7D, SL-1, Canon 300L 2.8, 100-400L IS, 70-200L IS, 24-105L, 10-22mm, Rokinon 14mm 2.8, Tokina 16-28 f2.8

ethanz

• EOS 5D Mark IV
  • 1DX II
    • my website

Lol.

No sample images from the 100-400...
1DX II, 16-35L f/4 IS, 24-70L f/2.8 II, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 200-400L f/4 IS w/1.4 EXT
http://ethanzentz.com/

jolyonralph

• EOS 5D Mark IV
    • Every Other Shot
i was at the show and examined bothl of these and talked with the designers.  The rotating intelligent camera is a working product but the 100/400 smartphone camera is a concept mockup only.

Still, they are interesting products and it was interesting they were not just showing these off, but very interested in feedback on what we would use them for, what we would want from them, etc.

The idea with the 360 camera is that you set it up somewhere and it will just keep tracking people on its own taking photos "intelligently?. I did suggest this would make great sense if it had wheels on it so it could just wander around taking snaps for you (someone suggested sticking it on a Roomba!) or, of course, if it was in a mini-drone format.
Jolyon Ralph

Cameras: 5DSR, A7RII, 5D III, EOS M6/M5/M3, Mavic Pro, DXO One.  Oh, and more lenses than I care to count.

canon rumors FORUM

Click

• Canon EF 1200mm f/5.6L

;D lol

ethanz

• EOS 5D Mark IV
  • 1DX II
    • my website

The idea with the 360 camera is that you set it up somewhere and it will just keep tracking people on its own taking photos "intelligently?.

The NSA will order some of these.
1DX II, 16-35L f/4 IS, 24-70L f/2.8 II, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 200-400L f/4 IS w/1.4 EXT
http://ethanzentz.com/

expatinasia

• EOS-1D X Mark II
imho I think Canon should work with a phone company like Leica does with Huawei.

I have a P9 Plus and will get the P20 Pro when it comes out in a couple of weeks.

I have my camera with me when I must (i.e. work or going out specifically to take pictures the latter of which is not all that often) but I always have my phone with me, and I do not want to carry gadgets I attach to phones.

Canon should work with a mobile phone company and bring out a Canon-branded phone and some amazing apps.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

syyeung1

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
DR will be so bad that I cannot push 25 stops.  It's useless.  So disappointed that Canon has crippled its products time and time again.

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII

The idea with the 360 camera is that you set it up somewhere and it will just keep tracking people on its own taking photos "intelligently?.

The NSA will order some of these.

The NSA just needs to grab the video off of the 16 cell phones in the room secretly transmitting and combine them :)

hne

• EOS 80D
  • Gear limits your creativity
The idea with the 360 camera is that you set it up somewhere and it will just keep tracking people on its own taking photos "intelligently?. I did suggest this would make great sense if it had wheels on it so it could just wander around taking snaps for you (someone suggested sticking it on a Roomba!) or, of course, if it was in a mini-drone format.

Wouldn't it be much easier to just capture a spherical view from the point of the camera and do a rectilinear or fish-eye projection of part of that in post production? No moving parts makes it more reliable and easier to construct and a few small high-res image sensors and 190° FOV lenses is all you need. Just look at the garmin virb, gopro fusion, insta360 one, rylo, ... They all do this already. Sure, you just get 1080p output when doing over-/smart-/whatevertheycallthetech-capture but that's just a limitation of image sensors and processing. Nothing two 8k sensors with a digic9 each couldn't solve, I'm sure.
Preferred gear: 5D IV, 35/1.4L, 85/1.4L IS, 70-200/2.8L IS, Elinchrom ELB500 + RX
Backup: 5D II, 17-40/4L, 85/1.8, 100-400/4.5-5.6L, Yongnuo + 622

canon rumors FORUM

jolyonralph

• EOS 5D Mark IV
    • Every Other Shot
Wouldn't it be much easier to just capture a spherical view from the point of the camera and do a rectilinear or fish-eye projection of part of that in post production?

Not really. The aim of this is primarily to take photos not video (although it can do both), and a crop and rectilinear remapping from a relatively small sensor fisheye image? That's not going to be any good.
Jolyon Ralph

Cameras: 5DSR, A7RII, 5D III, EOS M6/M5/M3, Mavic Pro, DXO One.  Oh, and more lenses than I care to count.

Chaitanya

• EOS 5DS R
Hands on video of one of those prototype cameras:
https://youtu.be/C_efVCCMKeE

canon rumors FORUM