July 21, 2018, 09:53:48 AM

Author Topic: DJI Phantom 5 Drone To Have Interchangeable Lenses?  (Read 3790 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
    • Canon Rumors
DJI Phantom 5 Drone To Have Interchangeable Lenses?
« on: March 21, 2018, 02:39:33 PM »

It looks like the upcoming DJI Phantom 5 will have interchangeable lenses. This could be a game changer for consumer drones.

The lens in the image above is a 50mm, it would be likely DJI would announce a few prime lenses with the Phantom 5.

We expect to see both the DJI Mavic Pro II and DJI Phantom 5 to be announced in the next couple of months.

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

DJI Phantom 5 Drone To Have Interchangeable Lenses?
« on: March 21, 2018, 02:39:33 PM »

LSXPhotog

• EOS M5
    • Kevin DiOssi Photography
Re: DJI Phantom 5 Drone To Have Interchangeable Lenses?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2018, 04:09:00 PM »
Adding a drone into my business has been monumental. A gimmick I never considered a serious tool has been invaluable to my business. The DJI Phantom 4 Pro was the best purchase I made last year next to my Canon 85mm f/1.4L IS USM.

I'm very excited to see what this drone can do. I would love to add more versatility to my drone in the future.
- Kevin
1DX Mk II/5D Mk IV/M50/SL2/77D - 5x Flashpoint XPLOR 600s
Primes: EF 24mm f/1.4L II| Sigma 50 Art | Canon 85mm f/1.4L | EF 100L Macro | EF 135L | Zooms: EF 16-35 f2.8L III | EF 24-70mm II f/2.8L | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS II | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L

zim

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2018, 04:17:56 PM »
Talk about adding insult to injury, even DJI are releasing a new 50mm lens....... come on Canon!

;)  ;D

brad-man

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2018, 04:59:55 PM »
Talk about adding insult to injury, even DJI are releasing a new 50mm lens....... come on Canon!

;)  ;D

EF-M 32mm f/1.4 STM  ;)

AvTvM

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2018, 07:53:36 AM »
most important info missing as so often ... what sensor size are we talking about? [on Phantom 5 camera] ?
if *dwarf sensor* ...  1/2.3” as on Phantom 4 .. no need for interchangeable lenses ... the cheapest, all plastic compact camera 10x zoom will suffice for that 

zim

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2018, 09:45:13 AM »
My previous comment was an attempt (perhaps a  poor one) at a joke of course I'm well aware of sensor size multipliers.

A controllable zoom would be pretty cool though and make more sense to me. I don't have a drone some maybe already have that?
How about slinging that Canon 100-400 smart phone camera under one assuming it's really light!

privatebydesign

• Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 10:06:05 AM »
Adding a drone into my business has been monumental. A gimmick I never considered a serious tool has been invaluable to my business.

Same here, though I went for the Mavic Air as I travel extensively. Interested to see what the Mavic Pro II brings to the table but so far I am pretty happy with the Air.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2018, 10:06:05 AM »

Normalnorm

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 10:13:21 AM »
What would be a game changer would be the ability to zoom remotely.

privatebydesign

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 10:25:05 AM »

I might be relatively new to this drone stuff but I can't, at this point, see much utility to a zoom. I'm sure higher end users might but they should be in the Inspire range, as a minimum, anyway so they already have lens choices.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

crazyrunner33

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 04:10:15 PM »

I would be very interested to see how they would deal with the change in center of gravity when zooming.

Normalnorm

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 05:24:57 PM »

I might be relatively new to this drone stuff but I can't, at this point, see much utility to a zoom. I'm sure higher end users might but they should be in the Inspire range, as a minimum, anyway so they already have lens choices.

The utility comes from being able to choose position (thus perspective) and then crop appropriately.

The range need not be great but a 2x or 3x would be very useful.

privatebydesign

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 06:04:25 PM »

The utility comes from being able to choose position (thus perspective) and then crop appropriately.

The range need not be great but a 2x or 3x would be very useful.

I'd think that would be accomplished more easily with a higher resolution sensor and cropping. Don't get me wrong I have a decent amount of real estate experience where the position is the most important aspect of the shot, but a zoom seems to me a touch redundant for what we are using drones for especially when we can get 20 MP resolution stills already.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2018, 06:04:25 PM »