June 25, 2018, 04:29:52 AM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III/X Variation & New Flagship Speedlite? [CR1]  (Read 40880 times)

OnteoEOS

Re: 5D Mark III/X Variation & New Flagship Speedlite? [CR1]
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2012, 03:36:41 PM »
Today I got very good shots with my old 5D AF system and the 135L.

I want a simple AF with great accuracy and good speed, the amount of points does not worry me much as with some 11 good ones I would do great.

22MP? not an incredible change from 12.7MP

ISO? Give me a clean ISO 6400 equivalent to my ISO 800 in the old 5D and I will run for one.

DR? 13 Stops are what I expect and for it to be kept in high ISO for better indoor portraits.

Video? well, no problem if it is there.

VF? please make it 100% and bright

Weather sealing? if it is slightly better than the 7D I'm a happy camper.

FPS? would have enough with 5 but 6.5 are just class.

Screen, Sensor cleaning, 2 memory card slots, hdmi...yes, I certainly need an upgrade in features, IQ in low ISO is not my problem.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2012, 03:36:41 PM »

cezargalang

« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2012, 03:41:30 PM »
I'm just happy the announcement is soon. And new speedlite! Yay!  ;D ;D

briansquibb

« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2012, 03:48:24 PM »
  I personally doubt they'll be using the 1D4 system, they'd still have to redesign it from the ground up for a FF sensor anyway.

The 1D and 1Ds models have always used the same AF systems, we just never got a 1Ds MK IV.

I love the 1D/1Ds multispot metering

Picsfor

« Reply #63 on: February 18, 2012, 05:20:43 PM »
There was a clamour for the 7D AF and now the 1D4 AF is on the horizon everyone is after the 1DX AF - no pleasing people ::) ::)

Amazing how Nikon has upped the bar, isn't it  :) ? Prior to the D800 announcement, some fan boys were in outright denial of its specs, and many said they'd be content with a 9-point AF system in the 5DIII, as long as they were all cross-type points.  Now they expect a 1Dx or 1D4 AF system.

What happened to all the "My skills are so pimp that I just manually focus, so I don't care about AF specs" and the "Just focus and recompose" people?

Believe me - 9 full cross AF points that are all as good as the centre one will do me comfortably.
But i think you misinterpret some people who are advised they may get a 1D4 or 1DX AF system. If they're told it enough times they'll get to believe it and get disappointed if it doesn't happen.

A pro tog reminded me that i should learn to manually focus  like in film days properly before relying on AF points. I pondered on that statement for a bit, then remembered why i was good at focusing manually in film days.

I had split screen AND freznel ring to work with. They are still way better than most of the AF systems of today - just that sadly i can't get an EF lens with those options (or a body). Remember i said BOTH, not either one!

V8Beast

• EOS 5DS R
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #64 on: February 18, 2012, 06:12:35 PM »
But i think you misinterpret some people who are advised they may get a 1D4 or 1DX AF system. If they're told it enough times they'll get to believe it and get disappointed if it doesn't happen.

Very true. DSLR's are ultimately expensive electronic gizmos that naturally appeal to tech geeks. That's why specs are more important to some people than how a camera actually performs in the field.

A pro tog reminded me that i should learn to manually focus  like in film days properly before relying on AF points. I pondered on that statement for a bit, then remembered why i was good at focusing manually in film days.

This is a whole 'nother can of worms. I'm actually dumbfounded that people start shooting without learning something as basic as manually focusing, but with as dummy-proof as today's cameras are, it's not surprising.  On that note, I recommended people learn to shoot color slides before even buying  a DSLR for the sole purpose of learning how to properly expose on image.

I get a good laugh from beginners with Rebels that brag about "how they only shoot RAW," ostracize anyone that shoots jpeg, then post images of how they were able to salvage a badly exposed shot of their cat thanks to the extra latitude of the RAW format. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with shooting RAW, but how about learning how to expose properly so you don't have to waste time in post production?

There's been talk lately criticizing Canon's metering system. Yes, better metering systems are welcome, but have these people ever heard of bracketing? It was a pretty standard technique back in the film days, but unlike the film days when it required wasting money on film and lab fees, taking additional exposures, s is now free. Plus, these days you can bracket in 1/2 and 1/3 stop increments to nail the exposure more accurately than ever before. So other than being lazy, what's the excuse for not doing something so basic and getting the shot right in camera?   
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 06:31:41 PM by V8Beast »

Martin

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #65 on: February 18, 2012, 10:00:05 PM »
I dont need many focus points, i would really appreciate even 5 if they all crosstype, and what is more important they all lock precise on target, also in low light. I simply dont need more pixels than 5d2 offers, theres no need for even one pixel if u cant achieve proper and accurate focus. Thats the point for me. I have read a very well prepared review, based on many detailed tests etc, which states the the Af in 1d4 is very good in servo mode, but lacks precion in studio work. I am not a fanboy of any brand but after using 5d2 for a year I am really frustrated about the camera. Before that i used nikon d300. Now, i would probably go for nikon, if I did not invest a lot of money in canon. So, waiting for next step of canon, hope they launch somethin good.
5D3, 35L, 85 1.8, 135L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS II, 580 EX II.

scottsdaleriots

« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2012, 10:03:12 PM »
Some much discussion concerning the next 5dii replacement, if it's a 5diii or 5dx. I like the speculation, it's like the speculation for the new MacBook pro's - so many rumours (more so for the camera than the MBP). I'm hoping it's not 22mp, 25mp would be a nice upgrade from 21mp and it makes more sense to at least try and compleat with nikon's MP monster camera.

Price is probably the main deterrent for me. I can budget $3000 for a new FF "latest and gatest" camera body but anything more I will have a hard time justifying its the right thing to do to spend more than $3000 on only a camera body not being a pro photographer....just a really broke photography student  :'(

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: February 18, 2012, 10:03:12 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #67 on: February 18, 2012, 10:56:51 PM »
I have read a very well prepared review, based on many detailed tests etc, which states the the Af in 1d4 is very good in servo mode, but lacks precion in studio work.

As a user I have no problem with it - but then I am not taking portraits at f/1.2. I find that a head shot at f/4 gives the best results for me and for that the precision is good

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #68 on: February 19, 2012, 01:06:43 AM »
Why is it using the 1D Mark IV AF system over the 1DX's a good thing?
Surely the 1DX's is more advanced?

Because given Canon's recent track record they were expecting a simplified version of the Rebel AF.
Sooooo..... 1D4 AF? We'll take it!

LetTheRightLensIn

« Reply #69 on: February 19, 2012, 01:09:28 AM »

Second - You can't just take the 1D4's (APS-H) Auto Focus and use it for a FF sensor, you'd lose a lot of the spread needed for an effective AF system. In other words the AF points would be confined to a shorter/narrower section of the sensor than they should be.

But the AF sensor is more or less the same size across the range and if you notice yeah the 1Ds has less spread than the APS-H than the APS_C.

LetTheRightLensIn

« Reply #70 on: February 19, 2012, 01:10:58 AM »
  I personally doubt they'll be using the 1D4 system, they'd still have to redesign it from the ground up for a FF sensor anyway. I think it's much more likely that it will get a less robust version of the 1DXs 61 point. In that way they can increase the economy of scale by using essentially the same AF system in their entire FF line up.

No need to redesign anything. The APS-H 1D shared the same 45-pt AF module with the FF 1Ds from Marks I-III. So by extension utilizing the APS-H Mark IV AF module on an FF model would be a simple drop-in as well.

Ummm...no.  The fact that they all have 45 points doesn't mean they're the same sensor, any more than the fact that both xxD and xxxD have 9-pt AF means they're the same.  In the case of the 1D IV vs. 1DsIII, although the 1D IV has a slightly wider spread relative to the total frame, it's physically a smaller sensor. So, if you just dropped it into a FF camera, it wouldn't have nearly as wide a spread. 

Granted, they could drop the 1D IV AF into a new 5-series body, and it would still have better coverage than the pathetic spread of the 5D/5DII AF points.

ummm no they didn't redo the whole AF sensor for 1Ds3 after they made it for the 1D3

LetTheRightLensIn

« Reply #71 on: February 19, 2012, 01:15:13 AM »
So we finally gets a EOS 5D Mark III with two year old stuff from the EOS 1D Mark IV. Same metering (iFCL), same AF, Digic 4 processor, weather sealing from the EOS 7D. Whilst Nikon D800 gets old the new stuff from the D4 for maybe less money spent. Yeah!

What's your point? :)

My point is... Why did not Canon launch this camera two years ago?  :o

Why Canon would? :) Having such a cashow like 5d2?

Because totally taking over the market and getting tons of L lens sales is a bigger cash cow and the company that keeps milking every last ounce out of everything rather than charging forward when they can, at least sometimes, is one that sometimes ends up not doing so well after a while.

simonxu11

• EOS M5
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2012, 02:02:12 AM »
1D VI's AF is more than enough for me, even the 7D's.
Just wondering why Nikon's mid-level DSLRs usually can have the essential features(AF, metering, response time,etc) from their flagship. But Canon usually does this oppositely. One thing I really don't understand is why Canon cannot put the spot metering on outer focus points except the 1D which Nikon put this to thier lowest level D70 since 2004. Can someone explain this to me??

I am saying this not because I want to jump ship, I am still happy with Canon right now. However, if we don't buy Canon's flagship we just don't get their lastest technology( I am not saying the old one is bad).  Can I just say Canon and Nikon treat their non-pro consumers quite differently?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2012, 02:02:12 AM »

Chuck Alaimo

• EOS 5DS R
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2012, 02:32:40 AM »
what i don't understand is this --

lol

why isn't anyone talking about the upgrade to the 580 ex flash????  Or, from the wording, replacement?

A new flagship flash may be coming shortly. No guide number was given, but a suggestion it will use radio to trigger flashes. It may also trigger cameras.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 02:38:16 AM by Chuck Alaimo »
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

Marsu42

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • Canon Pride.
    • Der Tierfotograf
« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2012, 02:42:44 AM »
A new flagship flash may be coming shortly. No guide number was given, but a suggestion it will use radio to trigger flashes. It may also trigger cameras.

... meaning radio trigger w/ *new* compatible bodies and slave flashes. I've got the 60D+430EX2, and after reading the manual I really wanted to have radio control. However, after actually using the stuff for a while, I have to say the IR control works very well even if the flash doesn't point to the camera at all.

Just wondering why Nikon's mid-level DSLRs usually can have the essential features(AF, metering, response time,etc) from their flagship. But Canon usually does this oppositely. Can I just say Canon and Nikon treat their non-pro consumers quite differently?

I'd say so, too, and I was near "jumping ship". Nikon's way seems to maintain its leading customer base, and pro Nikon users buy their pro stuff anyway, no matter what features a mid-range model has. In contrast, Canon just seems to want to get away w/ as money as they can grab by forcing people to buy "better" bodies.

This system was very obvious when Canon downgraded the rebel-ized 60D (no af micro adjust, plastic body, outdated af) to sell their 7D. But imho, there are always numerous "tiny" build-in annoyances except the big features like af. After the tech department has developed something, the marketing department seems to sit down and say "How can we interest people in this, and at the same time annoy them just enough to buy something more expensive instead?"

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: February 19, 2012, 02:42:44 AM »