September 01, 2014, 11:23:48 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III/X Variation & New Flagship Speedlite? [CR1]  (Read 20977 times)

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
Re: 5D Mark III/X Variation & New Flagship Speedlite? [CR1]
« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2012, 02:32:40 AM »
what i don't understand is this --

lol

why isn't anyone talking about the upgrade to the 580 ex flash????  Or, from the wording, replacement?

A new flagship flash may be coming shortly. No guide number was given, but a suggestion it will use radio to trigger flashes. It may also trigger cameras.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 02:38:16 AM by Chuck Alaimo »
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: February 19, 2012, 02:32:40 AM »

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #76 on: February 19, 2012, 02:42:44 AM »
A new flagship flash may be coming shortly. No guide number was given, but a suggestion it will use radio to trigger flashes. It may also trigger cameras.

... meaning radio trigger w/ *new* compatible bodies and slave flashes. I've got the 60D+430EX2, and after reading the manual I really wanted to have radio control. However, after actually using the stuff for a while, I have to say the IR control works very well even if the flash doesn't point to the camera at all.

Just wondering why Nikon's mid-level DSLRs usually can have the essential features(AF, metering, response time,etc) from their flagship. But Canon usually does this oppositely. Can I just say Canon and Nikon treat their non-pro consumers quite differently?

I'd say so, too, and I was near "jumping ship". Nikon's way seems to maintain its leading customer base, and pro Nikon users buy their pro stuff anyway, no matter what features a mid-range model has. In contrast, Canon just seems to want to get away w/ as money as they can grab by forcing people to buy "better" bodies.

This system was very obvious when Canon downgraded the rebel-ized 60D (no af micro adjust, plastic body, outdated af) to sell their 7D. But imho, there are always numerous "tiny" build-in annoyances except the big features like af. After the tech department has developed something, the marketing department seems to sit down and say "How can we interest people in this, and at the same time annoy them just enough to buy something more expensive instead?"

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2012, 02:44:43 AM »
1D VI's AF is more than enough for me, even the 7D's.
Just wondering why Nikon's mid-level DSLRs usually can have the essential features(AF, metering, response time,etc) from their flagship. But Canon usually does this oppositely. One thing I really don't understand is why Canon cannot put the spot metering on outer focus points except the 1D which Nikon put this to thier lowest level D70 since 2004. Can someone explain this to me??

Simply, it is a different mentality regarding differentiation of models. Canon usually does with features such as AF while giving even lower models a high MP count while Nikon differentiates using MPs while features such as an advanced AF are given even to the lower models.

That was true up until now, though. We still don't know if Canon will stick to their usual strategy or go in another direction.

simonxu11

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2012, 03:10:44 AM »
1D VI's AF is more than enough for me, even the 7D's.
Just wondering why Nikon's mid-level DSLRs usually can have the essential features(AF, metering, response time,etc) from their flagship. But Canon usually does this oppositely. One thing I really don't understand is why Canon cannot put the spot metering on outer focus points except the 1D which Nikon put this to thier lowest level D70 since 2004. Can someone explain this to me??

Simply, it is a different mentality regarding differentiation of models. Canon usually does with features such as AF while giving even lower models a high MP count while Nikon differentiates using MPs while features such as an advanced AF are given even to the lower models.

That was true up until now, though. We still don't know if Canon will stick to their usual strategy or go in another direction.
Nikon just didn't have any choice to sensors because Sony only had 12mp ff sensors at that time. So Nikon had to use it from d700 to d3s. But they weren't hesitate to put high mp in their bodies once they got from Sony such as d7000, d3x and d800!
What about Canon?? They don't have choice to choose af??
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 07:50:44 AM by simonxu11 »

Limbu

« Reply #79 on: February 19, 2012, 07:40:16 AM »
I' m in market for 430 xii.is it good idea to buy now or wait for new to come.

mathino

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 19, 2012, 09:13:13 AM »

Buy it ! It's a great flash and unless you really need more power/strobo you will be just fine with it. You will be using it 95% of time becasue it's just that good.
6D (on the way) | 450D | EF 28 f/1.8 USM | EF 40 f/2.8 STM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | 430 EX II | wishlist: EF 24-70 f/2.8 L II USM, EF 135 f/2 L

Picsfor

« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2012, 09:52:22 AM »

I also have a 430EXII - as a second flash to my 580EXII.

To be honest, i can make do with it on quite a few occasions. For the price, and simplicity - go for it.
It's smaller and lighter than a 580EXII - hence it pops in my bag more frequently, and the batteries last a bit longer.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: February 19, 2012, 09:52:22 AM »

psolberg

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2012, 10:34:40 AM »
unless it comes with built in RF. I couldn't care less for another canon flash.

DavidRiesenberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • David Riesenberg
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2012, 11:15:22 AM »
Quote from: simonxu11
What about Canon?? They don't have choice to choose af??

Well, it certainly looks that the playing field is different now compared to 4 years ago. How Canon feels affected by this, I don't know. That's what I was saying. The market is in turmoil right now as the manufacturers line up to the start of the race. We know who Nikon's top of the line candidates are but as far as Canon goes, we now cannot rely on past models and decision to make an educated guess of what they will come up with.

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2012, 12:56:40 PM »
Can I just say Canon and Nikon treat their non-pro consumers quite differently?

you can and should

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2012, 12:56:40 PM »