September 20, 2014, 12:04:55 PM

Author Topic: 5D Mark III/X Variation & New Flagship Speedlite? [CR1]  (Read 21200 times)

marinien

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
Re: 5D Mark III/X Variation & New Flagship Speedlite? [CR1]
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2012, 10:34:00 AM »
  I personally doubt they'll be using the 1D4 system, they'd still have to redesign it from the ground up for a FF sensor anyway. I think it's much more likely that it will get a less robust version of the 1DXs 61 point. In that way they can increase the economy of scale by using essentially the same AF system in their entire FF line up.

No need to redesign anything. The APS-H 1D shared the same 45-pt AF module with the FF 1Ds from Marks I-III. So by extension utilizing the APS-H Mark IV AF module on an FF model would be a simple drop-in as well.

Ummm...no.  The fact that they all have 45 points doesn't mean they're the same sensor, any more than the fact that both xxD and xxxD have 9-pt AF means they're the same.  In the case of the 1D IV vs. 1DsIII, although the 1D IV has a slightly wider spread relative to the total frame, it's physically a smaller sensor. So, if you just dropped it into a FF camera, it wouldn't have nearly as wide a spread. 

Granted, they could drop the 1D IV AF into a new 5-series body, and it would still have better coverage than the pathetic spread of the 5D/5DII AF points.

What you said may be true with the 1D IV and the 1Ds III. However, the older 1D and 1Ds have the same AF sensor size of 8x15mm (hope that I am not wrong here  ;))

I couldn't find the AF specs of the 1D IV and the 1Ds III. However, Canon stated that with the 1D X, they expand the AF from 8x15mm to 8x19mm, so I assume that all older 1 series have the same AF surface, i.e. 8x15mm.
7D | EF-S 17-55 | EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro | 580EX II | Benro C3780T + Markins M20

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2012, 10:34:00 AM »

altenae

• EOS M2
  • Enjoy Wildlife
    • View Profile
    • Wildlife-photos
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2012, 10:39:21 AM »
5D3 with 1dmark4 AF-sounds for my like selling my gear definitely and switching to Nikon finally. I wait with my Canon gear for better information. I heard a lot and read a lot about 1d AF, there's no match for even Nikon d700. Hope that's not true. I am really pissed about this AF problems in Canon. If they finally do something better and reliable in sport and studio I will stay, otherwise goodbye. Think a lot about this and that;s my decision maker

Sure MK IV can't focus..........sure........

If they finally do something better and reliable in sport and studio I will stay, otherwise goodbye

Goodbye......who cares
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 10:51:34 AM by altenae »

KeithR

« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2012, 10:53:44 AM »
I heard a lot and read a lot about 1d AF, there's no match for even Nikon d700. Hope that's not true.

Christ on a crutch, man - even my 7D will more than match a D700's AF.

In fact back when the D300 first came out (which has essentially the same AF as the D700) we used to have great fun on DPR demonstrating that in use (as opposed to basing opinions solely on spec sheets), even the 40D's AF was just as good. Less AF points, to be sure, but faster to acquire and just as accurate.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 10:56:12 AM by KeithR »

briansquibb

« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2012, 11:00:44 AM »
Ugh  didn't the 1d MK IV have issues focusing in low light.  I shoot weddings hope this  isn't true.  :-\

If you are shooting in the low light when the AF fails to focus then I hope you aren't at a wedding.

1D4 AF is fine for weddings - it is better than the 1Ds3 but not quite as good as the 5dII

sublime LightWorks

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2012, 11:13:17 AM »
As I had noted in a prior 5Dx thread, the idea that the 1Dx AF would be in the new 5D3/5Dx was a tough sell from the start.  The 1Dx AF and metering (which the new AF is closely joined to) has a dedicated Digic 4 processor in the 1Dx.

That would mean, assuming the approx 7 fps spec is true, if the new 5Dx/5D3 has but a single Digic 5 processor, that one processor needs to handle the 22Mpix x 7fps = 154Mpix, plus all other camera functions.  It's taking two Digic 5's to handle the 18Mpix x 12fps = 216Mpix load of the 1Dx, plus all it other functions (not including the AF and metering handled by the Digic 4).  The 1Dx has three processors.

If the one Digic 5 can do that estimated load from the 5Dx/5D3, then fine, but if it cannot, I can't see how Canon is going to put 3 Digic processors in a 5Dx/5D3 body, either from the circuit board real estate needed (just look at the 1Dx's circuit board), or just the simple fact that it's putting the same 3 processors in the 1Dx in a body with an estimated price of $2999.

So extending this logic, if you have the same basic guts, a 22Mpix FF sensor, same AF, etc. in the 5Dx/5D3 as the 1Dx, then all you're really getting in the 1Dx is a faster frame rate, dual cards, the built-in grip, and weather sealing for $3800, more than twice the 5Dx/5D3 rumored price.  Does that make any sense?

This is why I have never bought the notion that the 5Dx/5D3 would have the same AF as the 1Dx.  It does not make sense if you look at the horsepower needed to drive the rumored specs, using the 1Dx's horsepower needs as a reference.

A 1DIV-ish AF seems much more likely and within the realm of 2 Digic 5's.  I doubt it's the "same" given the differences in the systems and sensor size, but I can see the same type and technology, along with a couple of improvements learned after the 1DIV's release and field usage.

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2012, 11:16:46 AM »
As I had noted in a prior 5Dx thread, the idea that the 1Dx AF would be in the new 5D3/5Dx was a tough sell from the start.  The 1Dx AF and metering (which the new AF is closely joined to) has a dedicated Digic 4 processor in the 1Dx.

That would mean, assuming the approx 7 fps spec is true, if the new 5Dx/5D3 has but a single Digic 5 processor, that one processor needs to handle the 22Mpix x 7fps = 154Mpix, plus all other camera functions.  It's taking two Digic 5's to handle the 18Mpix x 12fps = 216Mpix load of the 1Dx, plus all it other functions (not including the AF and metering handled by the Digic 4).  The 1Dx has three processors.

If the one Digic 5 can do that estimated load from the 5Dx/5D3, then fine, but if it cannot, I can't see how Canon is going to put 3 Digic processors in a 5Dx/5D3 body, either from the circuit board real estate needed (just look at the 1Dx's circuit board), or just the simple fact that it's putting the same 3 processors in the 1Dx in a body with an estimated price of $2999.

So extending this logic, if you have the same basic guts, a 22Mpix FF sensor, same AF, etc. in the 5Dx/5D3 as the 1Dx, then all you're really getting in the 1Dx is a faster frame rate, dual cards, the built-in grip, and weather sealing for $3800, more than twice the 5Dx/5D3 rumored price.  Does that make any sense?

This is why I have never bought the notion that the 5Dx/5D3 would have the same AF as the 1Dx.  It does not make sense if you look at the horsepower needed to drive the rumored specs, using the 1Dx's horsepower needs as a reference.

A 1DIV-ish AF seems much more likely and within the realm of 2 Digic 5's.  I doubt it's the "same" given the differences in the systems and sensor size, but I can see the same type and technology, along with a couple of improvements learned after the 1DIV's release and field usage.

It could use one digic5 and dedicated digic4 for AF as well.

And nobody cares about the new speedlight? :) Could it have (like mentioned some time ago) AWB adjusting flash colour temperature to the lighting conditions?
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

Rex Canon Shooter

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2012, 11:40:39 AM »

It could use one digic5 and dedicated digic4 for AF as well.

And nobody cares about the new speedlight? :) Could it have (like mentioned some time ago) AWB adjusting flash colour temperature to the lighting conditions?

+1  I think they would use 2 processors 1 Digic5 and the Digic4 for the AF. 

Auto WB Flash would be AWESOME!  I hate gellin,  If they incorporate radio instead of IR  that would be fantastic especially considering the issues they have had with Pocketwizards.  I use the Radiopoppers and they work great but if I can go without another item to buy/break!  I would change out my 580exIIs.  Oo also give it some power heh.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2012, 11:40:39 AM »

EOS 5D Mark III

« Reply #37 on: February 18, 2012, 11:48:51 AM »
So we finally gets a EOS 5D Mark III with two year old stuff from the EOS 1D Mark IV. Same metering (iFCL), same AF, Digic 4 processor, weather sealing from the EOS 7D. Whilst Nikon D800 gets old the new stuff from the D4 for maybe less money spent. Yeah!

bdeutsch

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Gotham Family Photos
« Reply #38 on: February 18, 2012, 11:49:02 AM »

+1  I think they would use 2 processors 1 Digic5 and the Digic4 for the AF. 

Auto WB Flash would be AWESOME!  I hate gellin,  If they incorporate radio instead of IR  that would be fantastic especially considering the issues they have had with Pocketwizards.  I use the Radiopoppers and they work great but if I can go without another item to buy/break!  I would change out my 580exIIs.  Oo also give it some power heh.
I agree.  I'm almost as excited about 580 replacements with radio as I am about the 5dm3 or 5dx.

Headshots NYC | NY Wedding Photos | Gotham Family Photos

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2012, 11:52:05 AM »
So we finally gets a EOS 5D Mark III with two year old stuff from the EOS 1D Mark IV. Same metering (iFCL), same AF, Digic 4 processor, weather sealing from the EOS 7D. Whilst Nikon D800 gets old the new stuff from the D4 for maybe less money spent. Yeah!

What's your point? :)

EOS 5D Mark III

« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2012, 11:55:37 AM »

My point is... Why did not Canon launch this camera two years ago?  :o

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2012, 12:10:42 PM »

My point is... Why did not Canon launch this camera two years ago?  :o

Why Canon would? :) Having such a cashow like 5d2?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2012, 12:10:42 PM »

altenae

• EOS M2
  • Enjoy Wildlife
    • View Profile
    • Wildlife-photos
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2012, 12:12:35 PM »
@EOS 5D Mark III

I have read all your posts....
Why don't you switch to Nikon right now so we don't have to hear you complains....

Pff...

EOS 5D Mark III

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2012, 12:15:06 PM »
@EOS 5D Mark III

I have read all your posts....
Why don't you switch to Nikon right now so we don't have to hear you complains....

Pff...

Only two weeks left maybe.  8)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: February 18, 2012, 12:15:06 PM »