December 22, 2014, 11:43:26 AM

Author Topic: How much will these new cameras cost?  (Read 3878 times)

WoodysGamertag

How much will these new cameras cost?
« on: February 18, 2012, 09:52:44 AM »
There are at least two new cameras rumored to be announced in the next month or so. The new Mark 5DX/5D3 and the 4k camera.

If I'm following this correctly, there may or may not be two Mark 5's.  It's generally agreed that the next Mark 5 will be somewhere in the neighborhood of $3,000 but what about the 4k camera? Does anybody have any idea?

I'd love your guesses because if it's in the same ballpark I might wait and choose when I know more.  If the 4k camera is going to cost $6,000 I'll just pull the trigger on the first Mark 5 to come out.

canon rumors FORUM

How much will these new cameras cost?
« on: February 18, 2012, 09:52:44 AM »

Maui5150

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Re: How much will these new cameras cost?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 11:41:19 AM »
What the hell is a Mark 5? 

There is a 1D MK IV

But as far as the 5D Line goes, we are expecting a 5D MK III as well as a 4K camera which might be a 3D, a 2D, or even a 5D MK X

WoodysGamertag

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 12:07:11 PM »
all i'd say is 'lots'!!!  :)
So much more than $3k? I honestly don't know if their 4k camera will be $3k for $15k.

AnthonyWithNoH

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 11:50:53 PM »
For the 4K I'm assuming between a 7-8K price tag.
For the 5D Mark II replacement... about 3k.
Let me just say that you would know whether or not you really require that 4K resolution, and it's very unlikely that you do. I personally am more interested in the possibility of 1080p at 60fps on the Mark II replacement, though we don't see it on the Digic 5+ Canon 1DX.

Considering the price of the RED scarlet costing $13,000+, my predicted 7-8K price tag would be a bargain... I highly doubt Canon could go lower then that. For the consumer you seem to be, go with the 5D Mark II replacement - I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Oh, and are you WoodysGamertag from Youtube?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 12:29:44 AM by AnthonyWithNoH »

AnthonyWithNoH

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 12:26:40 AM »
Just went to your channel and watched a few of your videos including "What's Your Passion"
I haven't seen your videos in a while, but always enjoy hearing from you!
I absolutely understand what you mean by filming throughout the house all the time and never using it, but building experience... and of course checking canonrumors :p
I love photography, cinematography, and even do some work with running sound for bands.
Also enjoy playing video games. I think it's awesome that you're interested in all of those as well.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 12:40:44 AM »
The introductory price of digital cameras has dropped a little, or at least stayed the same over the past several years.  Only when a new series is introduced, has the price gone up.  If you consider inflation, prices in yr 2000 dollars have dropped a lot.

I'd expect a 5D MK III to be $2800 just like the MK II was.  Nikon reverted to the original D700 price for the D800, and Canon won't cbe much different.

If there is a new higher spec model, then we will see a higher price, but the D800 has pretty well established a price bar considering the features it has.

A 4K video DSLR will be a much more expensive unit.  Just go out and buy a 4K monitor to see the image with, if you can find one.  They are coming down in price, no longer 70K, they are half that now.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 12:40:44 AM »

Picsfor

« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 02:29:31 AM »
Amazon.co.uk has the D800 listed at £2399.

Can not think Canon will come in above that.

CJRodgers

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 04:25:33 AM »
Looking at camelcamel uk website, the amazon prices always seem to dip in december, especially in the first year of a release and then go back up. For the 5dmkii and the d700 this was about 20% cheaper. Worth bearing in mind if you really want it and can wait.

I am coming to realise im probably not going to be able to afford what i want unless I wait. Or ill look at the 5dmkii market for new and used. I really want to invest in good lens and if the camera body is £2300+ then i cant upgrade my lens which i have a nagging feeling is a bigger imporvement than the latest and greatest body vs 5dmkii
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 04:33:51 AM by CJRodgers »

Bennymiata

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 05:22:00 AM »
We'll have to wait and see what Canon thinks we are willing to pay.

One thing for sure, the new 5 series has been in the wings for quite a while as it must take at least 12 months (and probably more like 24 months) from deciding on the exact specifications, to getting it manufactured as there are so many things to organise like getting the sensors produced and even the packaging takes time to design and make.
There's no way that Canon, or any other manufacturer can decide on the specs, then produce the new camera within a few weeks. There's just too much tooling and moulding required, let alone testing of new sensors, firmware and software.

Funny how the retail price of the 5d MkII has gone up in the US, as we can get them off websites here in Australia cheaper than you can get them from B&H for example.
One website that I've bought lots of stuff from is selling the 5D MkII for A$2049.00 inc. shipping, while B&H are now charging A$2249 + freight. A$1 = US$1.07.
Maybe the US retailers are ramping up the prices in anticipation of the new MkIII and want to price the MkII around $500 cheaper than the new MkII will be?
It makes sense to me.

WoodysGamertag

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 08:23:29 AM »
Just went to your channel and watched a few of your videos including "What's Your Passion"
I haven't seen your videos in a while, but always enjoy hearing from you!
I absolutely understand what you mean by filming throughout the house all the time and never using it, but building experience... and of course checking canonrumors :p
I love photography, cinematography, and even do some work with running sound for bands.
Also enjoy playing video games. I think it's awesome that you're interested in all of those as well.
Thanks for the kind words.

As for everybody else, it sounds like the 4k camera will be far more expensive. In my world, youtube, videos are re-rendered and the bitrate is lowered to the point that it wouldn't make a difference anyway.

daveswan

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 09:13:26 AM »
I'd expect a 5DII replacement to come in at about £2700 based on the introductory pricing of the original 5D and the 5DII.

The 4K C-DSLR, if it's based on the 1Dx (As it appears to be) I'd expect in 1DX teritory, say £5-6K

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 09:13:26 AM »