July 18, 2018, 02:40:35 PM

Author Topic: Review: Canon EOS M50 by TDP  (Read 10186 times)

mb66energy

• EOS 5DS R
    • My Homepage
Re: Review: Canon EOS M50 by TDP
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2018, 01:40:38 AM »
is there any improvement in IQ between 80d, SL2 and M50. There is a jump from digic 6 to 8 between them.

Maybe it helps to compare the images provided by dpreview under the M50 review
  https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-m50/6
between these cameras.
WARNING: M series and SLR cameras maybe use different lenses! So the results are maybe not absolutely comparable.

What I see: No real difference at all and definitely NO JUMP.
Most used tools: EOS 200D + EF-S 60mm + EF 100mm Macro + EF f/2.0 100  + 4.0 / 70-200 IS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2018, 01:40:38 AM »

bdbender4

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2018, 01:59:01 PM »
Need EOS-M primes besides the 22mm!  There is a chorus of this out there; has been for quite a while.

I used my M5 with the adapter and EF lenses for most of 2017 while waiting for some non-consumer-zoom lenses.  I figured the release of the M5 signaled Canon was finally getting serious about EOS-M.  Not. 

The adapter works well, and I used the 24mm and 35mm IS EF lenses a lot.  The images are great, but after a year I got really tired of a comparatively big honking lens on the small body.  For me, it totally defeated the point of mirrorless giving good image quality while being small and light.  I have since sold my entire EF system, since that was the only use I was making of it any more.  (After using APS-C mirrorless, the 6D and 24-70 f/2.8 felt like carrying an anvil around.)

The 11-22 is a good lens, but slow in order to stay small.  I am waiting for the rumored 35mm prime.  A little doubtful about it, though, given the recent interviews with Canon brass at CP+ where they say mirrorless is the new entry-level APS-C even if it cannibalizes the cheap DSLRs.

Oh well.  I have a Fuji X-T20 and Fuji has just about whatever lens you want other than long primes.  I much prefer using the Canon M5 body, but Fuji just updated the X-T20 firmware, which can't hurt.  So I will go use that with three Fuji primes while I watch to see what becomes of EOS-M.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2018, 02:17:05 PM »
Need EOS-M primes besides the 22mm! 

EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro IS STM.

I used my M5 with the adapter and EF lenses for most of 2017 while waiting for some non-consumer-zoom lenses.  I figured the release of the M5 signaled Canon was finally getting serious about EOS-M.  Not. 

The EOS M series is fundamentally a consumer line. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

BillB

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2018, 02:31:14 PM »
Need EOS-M primes besides the 22mm!  There is a chorus of this out there; has been for quite a while.

The adapter works well, and I used the 24mm and 35mm IS EF lenses a lot.  The images are great, but after a year I got really tired of a comparatively big honking lens on the small body.  For me, it totally defeated the point of mirrorless giving good image quality while being small and light.  I have since sold my entire EF system, since that was the only use I was making of it any more.  (After using APS-C mirrorless, the 6D and 24-70 f/2.8 felt like carrying an anvil around.)

The 11-22 is a good lens, but slow in order to stay small.  I am waiting for the rumored 35mm prime.  A little doubtful about it, though, given the recent interviews with Canon brass at CP+ where they say mirrorless is the new entry-level APS-C even if it cannibalizes the cheap DSLRs.

Oh well.  I have a Fuji X-T20 and Fuji has just about whatever lens you want other than long primes.  I much prefer using the Canon M5 body, but Fuji just updated the X-T20 firmware, which can't hurt.  So I will go use that with three Fuji primes while I watch to see what becomes of EOS-M.

If by taking EF-M seriously you mean making EF-M lenses  that duplicate EF and EF-S lenses, I don't think Canon is going to go down that road very far.  It does seem like an EF-M 35mm is on the way, but I don't expect much more.

yungfat

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2018, 08:58:47 AM »
I had a M5 for 3 months, it is a good camera and very easy to use, but I end up sold to one of my best friend, just because I don't like EVF. Anyway, that just me. :)
Never try M50 before, but I guess it is a good camera if you want a mirrorless... :)

Jack Jian

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2018, 08:12:50 PM »
is there any improvement in IQ between 80d, SL2 and M50. There is a jump from digic 6 to 8 between them.

For IQ alone, SL2 is the best, the difference is subtle but it's there. A tad better DR and sharper. Like the old 5D with weak AA filter, this SL2 is sharpest among all Canon's APS-C. Also, the raw file is very different from 800D and 77D and from 80D as well, probably because of Adobe's engine, but the differences are there. SL2 is the best. 77D, 800D, and 6D II raw files are very very similar.

ritholtz

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2018, 08:07:49 AM »

For IQ alone, SL2 is the best, the difference is subtle but it's there. A tad better DR and sharper. Like the old 5D with weak AA filter, this SL2 is sharpest among all Canon's APS-C. Also, the raw file is very different from 800D and 77D and from 80D as well, probably because of Adobe's engine, but the differences are there. SL2 is the best. 77D, 800D, and 6D II raw files are very very similar.
I have problem with exposure metering with my Sl2. Not sure if something is wrong with my unit. It over exposes a lot with live view shooting. With view finder it is fine. It happened few times.
70D, 10-18mm, 17-50mm F2.8, 85mm F1.8, 55-250 STM.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2018, 08:07:49 AM »

harris92

• Canonflex
« Reply #22 on: June 05, 2018, 04:02:23 AM »
Canon EOS M50 really cool camera, who wants to buy now, it's time to take advantage of the discount on https://www.amazon.com/Canon-Mirrorless-Camera-EF-M15-45mm-Video/dp/B079YCW48M . I had a few friends take it for filming home video and were very pleased. In this camera are collected chips from previous models and there are many improvements. So this is Canon's most well-rounded mirrorless camera. I'm also very interested in portrait cameras, I would like one of the same EOS series https://www.bestadvisor.com/cameras-for-portraits . I like the price and characteristics, what do you think about it?

Cory

• EOS 7D Mark II
    • Running Photography
« Reply #23 on: June 05, 2018, 06:17:14 AM »
Just got mine and the 22mm lens should arrive today.
Did some nice customization to the controls which I'll post about in the near future.
It with the small lens should make a nice travel combo.  Won't do-it-all, but is tiny.
6D, 16-35 4.0 IS, Sigma 50 1.4 Art, 135 2.0
430EXII, Induro AT113/Sirui K-20x, Sirui T-025x

ahsanford

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • USM > STM
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2018, 03:59:59 PM »
If by taking EF-M seriously you mean making EF-M lenses  that duplicate EF and EF-S lenses, I don't think Canon is going to go down that road very far.  It does seem like an EF-M 35mm is on the way, but I don't expect much more.

And Canon's not even updating it's faster/nicer EF-S glass anymore.  If my read of Keith's great EFlens.com charts is correct, there hasn't been:

... an EF-S zoom faster than f/5.6 on the long end since 2006 (and only 2 ever, I believe)
... an EF-S ring USM lens since 2009
... an EF-S prime faster than f/2.8 ever

(Keith, there's a typo on the most recent 18-55, which you have listed as USM.)

But let's not make this out to mean that Canon is holding back EF-M.  They are just holding EF-M to the same level of (very low) esteem as the EF-S mount.

- A
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 04:04:36 PM by ahsanford »

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2018, 05:07:00 PM »

And Canon's not even updating it's faster/nicer EF-S glass anymore.  If my read of Keith's great EFlens.com charts is correct, there hasn't been:

... an EF-S zoom faster than f/5.6 on the long end since 2006 (and only 2 ever, I believe)
... an EF-S ring USM lens since 2009
... an EF-S prime faster than f/2.8 ever

(Keith, there's a typo on the most recent 18-55, which you have listed as USM.)

But let's not make this out to mean that Canon is holding back EF-M.  They are just holding EF-M to the same level of (very low) esteem as the EF-S mount.

- A

I don't know that "low esteem" is the way I'd put it.

We all have to live with compromises, right?  It's you can only have two of price, size, and aperture, and the easiest one to knock out of the equation for consumer lenses is a wide aperture.

I don't think anyone wants a big or expensive EFS lens, and even the beloved 17-55/2.8 is a physically large lens by most standards for its focal length. 

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2018, 05:57:39 PM »
I don't think anyone wants a big or expensive EFS lens, and even the beloved 17-55/2.8 is a physically large lens by most standards for its focal length.

Disagree.  Better lenses in crop need to be a small part of the portfolio, even if physics insists they are large/unwieldy. Many people here would give vital anatomy for fast, first party AF crop glass, and Canon has not offered it since 2006 with the 17-55.

In particular is the standard zoom and UWA zoom need, where a crop user is SOL for fast zoom that doesn't '1.6x them' into having to change out lenses that often. Whenever I used my 24-70 f/2.8L I on my old crop camera, I was constantly changing it out for the EF-S 10-22 for that 25% of the time wider need -- and usually just for the 18-22 end of that lens.  The problem was completely solved when I went to FF with that same L zoom.

I think EF-S and EF-M need to take one very small step towards Fuji here -- just throw us a bone with a modest but solidly built/sealed 15-45 f/4 IS USM and this 32 f/1.4 we've been hearing about.

I appreciate Canon wants us all in FF buying pricier glass, but some of (a) will never leave crop or (b) some of us will moonlight away from FF with our old crop rigs and there isn't much no-bigger-than-it-needs-to-be first party glass to put on them.

- A

BillB

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2018, 07:02:50 PM »

Disagree.  Better lenses in crop need to be a small part of the portfolio, even if physics insists they are large/unwieldy. Many people here would give vital anatomy for fast, first party AF crop glass, and Canon has not offered it since 2006 with the 17-55.

In particular is the standard zoom and UWA zoom need, where a crop user is SOL for fast zoom that doesn't '1.6x them' into having to change out lenses that often. Whenever I used my 24-70 f/2.8L I on my old crop camera, I was constantly changing it out for the EF-S 10-22 for that 25% of the time wider need -- and usually just for the 18-22 end of that lens.  The problem was completely solved when I went to FF with that same L zoom.

I think EF-S and EF-M need to take one very small step towards Fuji here -- just throw us a bone with a modest but solidly built/sealed 15-45 f/4 IS USM and this 32 f/1.4 we've been hearing about.

I appreciate Canon wants us all in FF buying pricier glass, but some of (a) will never leave crop or (b) some of us will moonlight away from FF with our old crop rigs and there isn't much no-bigger-than-it-needs-to-be first party glass to put on them.

- A

Maybe the price/size/potential sales equation just doesn't work (or at least Canon hasn't been persuaded that it was worth trying).  How much cheaper and lighter would an EF-S or EF-M 15-40 f4 be than the EF 16-35 f4?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2018, 07:02:50 PM »

ahsanford

• USM > STM
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2018, 09:31:32 PM »
Maybe the price/size/potential sales equation just doesn't work (or at least Canon hasn't been persuaded that it was worth trying).  How much cheaper and lighter would an EF-S or EF-M 15-40 f4 be than the EF 16-35 f4?

1) Agree $999 crop only lenses probably aren’t selling well.  ::). I still think Canon needs 1-2 good ones for folks who want to keep things small.

2) Take away the need to cover a FF image circle and I think you could have a 67-ish thread sized lens at 2/3 the weight and sell well around $599-699.  Think of it like the non-L 24-105 STM lens, but for crop.  And sealed.  And constant max aperture.  (Okay, a 24-105L for crop.  You got me.)

- A
« Last Edit: June 05, 2018, 09:45:18 PM by ahsanford »

DSP121

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2018, 03:20:35 AM »
Thank you so much for sharing the review! :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: June 06, 2018, 03:20:35 AM »