April 23, 2018, 10:20:16 AM

Author Topic: Review: Canon EOS M50 by TDP  (Read 4212 times)

mb66energy

• EOS 5DS R
    • My Homepage
Re: Review: Canon EOS M50 by TDP
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2018, 01:40:38 AM »
is there any improvement in IQ between 80d, SL2 and M50. There is a jump from digic 6 to 8 between them.

Maybe it helps to compare the images provided by dpreview under the M50 review
  https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-m50/6
between these cameras.
WARNING: M series and SLR cameras maybe use different lenses! So the results are maybe not absolutely comparable.

What I see: No real difference at all and definitely NO JUMP.
Most used tools: EOS 200D + EF-S 60mm + 4.0 / 70-200 IS AND/OR EOS 5D i  + 4.0 70-200 IS + 2.8 100 Macro

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2018, 01:40:38 AM »

bdbender4

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2018, 01:59:01 PM »
Need EOS-M primes besides the 22mm!  There is a chorus of this out there; has been for quite a while.

I used my M5 with the adapter and EF lenses for most of 2017 while waiting for some non-consumer-zoom lenses.  I figured the release of the M5 signaled Canon was finally getting serious about EOS-M.  Not. 

The adapter works well, and I used the 24mm and 35mm IS EF lenses a lot.  The images are great, but after a year I got really tired of a comparatively big honking lens on the small body.  For me, it totally defeated the point of mirrorless giving good image quality while being small and light.  I have since sold my entire EF system, since that was the only use I was making of it any more.  (After using APS-C mirrorless, the 6D and 24-70 f/2.8 felt like carrying an anvil around.)

The 11-22 is a good lens, but slow in order to stay small.  I am waiting for the rumored 35mm prime.  A little doubtful about it, though, given the recent interviews with Canon brass at CP+ where they say mirrorless is the new entry-level APS-C even if it cannibalizes the cheap DSLRs.

Oh well.  I have a Fuji X-T20 and Fuji has just about whatever lens you want other than long primes.  I much prefer using the Canon M5 body, but Fuji just updated the X-T20 firmware, which can't hurt.  So I will go use that with three Fuji primes while I watch to see what becomes of EOS-M.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2018, 02:17:05 PM »
Need EOS-M primes besides the 22mm! 

EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro IS STM.

I used my M5 with the adapter and EF lenses for most of 2017 while waiting for some non-consumer-zoom lenses.  I figured the release of the M5 signaled Canon was finally getting serious about EOS-M.  Not. 

The EOS M series is fundamentally a consumer line. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

BillB

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2018, 02:31:14 PM »
Need EOS-M primes besides the 22mm!  There is a chorus of this out there; has been for quite a while.

The adapter works well, and I used the 24mm and 35mm IS EF lenses a lot.  The images are great, but after a year I got really tired of a comparatively big honking lens on the small body.  For me, it totally defeated the point of mirrorless giving good image quality while being small and light.  I have since sold my entire EF system, since that was the only use I was making of it any more.  (After using APS-C mirrorless, the 6D and 24-70 f/2.8 felt like carrying an anvil around.)

The 11-22 is a good lens, but slow in order to stay small.  I am waiting for the rumored 35mm prime.  A little doubtful about it, though, given the recent interviews with Canon brass at CP+ where they say mirrorless is the new entry-level APS-C even if it cannibalizes the cheap DSLRs.

Oh well.  I have a Fuji X-T20 and Fuji has just about whatever lens you want other than long primes.  I much prefer using the Canon M5 body, but Fuji just updated the X-T20 firmware, which can't hurt.  So I will go use that with three Fuji primes while I watch to see what becomes of EOS-M.

If by taking EF-M seriously you mean making EF-M lenses  that duplicate EF and EF-S lenses, I don't think Canon is going to go down that road very far.  It does seem like an EF-M 35mm is on the way, but I don't expect much more.

yungfat

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2018, 08:58:47 AM »
I had a M5 for 3 months, it is a good camera and very easy to use, but I end up sold to one of my best friend, just because I don't like EVF. Anyway, that just me. :)
Never try M50 before, but I guess it is a good camera if you want a mirrorless... :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2018, 08:58:47 AM »