July 19, 2018, 07:47:25 AM

Author Topic: Industry News: Xiaomi to Purchase GoPro Says Report  (Read 1580 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
    • Canon Rumors
Industry News: Xiaomi to Purchase GoPro Says Report
« on: April 13, 2018, 02:30:12 PM »
It hasn’t been a secret that GoPro has been for sale for quite some time, and it looks like they may have found a buyer in Chinese electronics company Xiaomi.

Bloomberg is reporting that the deal could be worth as much as $1bil for a company that has a current market capitalization of $761mil. At its peak, GoPro had a market cap of $10bil.

Shares in GoPro rose 8.8% on news of the potential sale.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 02:35:02 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Industry News: Xiaomi to Purchase GoPro Says Report
« on: April 13, 2018, 02:30:12 PM »

gsealy

• EOS 6D Mark II
Re: Industry News: Xiaomi to Purchase GoPro Says Report
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 12:39:33 AM »
People jumped on that stock when the IPO came out.  I told a lot of people to stay away from it.  Many didn't listen and ultimately lost a bundle.  My reasons back then?  It was 1 trick pony that had technology that was easily beatable by the big boys in the camera world.  Once the initial market was satisfied then that was it.  I am NOT saying that the GoPro line are not good products, actually they are great products. It's just that it was a bad investment especially when it ran up so fast.   This was another case of a 'fad' stock.  People bought it was because it was cool without considering the facts of their business model. 

wazmunstr

• PowerShot SX60 HS
    • YouTube
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 09:34:47 AM »
People jumped on that stock when the IPO came out.  I told a lot of people to stay away from it.  Many didn't listen and ultimately lost a bundle.  My reasons back then?  It was 1 trick pony that had technology that was easily beatable by the big boys in the camera world.  Once the initial market was satisfied then that was it.  I am NOT saying that the GoPro line are not good products, actually they are great products. It's just that it was a bad investment especially when it ran up so fast.   This was another case of a 'fad' stock.  People bought it was because it was cool without considering the facts of their business model.

I agree completely.

On the consumer side of it, I was more than excited when they first came out. I have been a GoPro user for about 7 years now, and 4 GoPros later. But to your point, the market has caught up with them and their products are just over priced at this point. Honestly, my Hero 5 black most likely will be my last. Sony's RX0, though a little more expensive, is incredible with the 1" sensor.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2018, 09:37:19 AM by wazmunstr »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 09:34:47 AM »