July 17, 2018, 04:07:13 AM

Author Topic: Jared Polin a7III Review comparing with 6D Mark II  (Read 5980 times)

dak723

• EOS 5DS R
Re: Jared Polin a7III Review comparing with 6D Mark II
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2018, 10:59:32 AM »
The whole thing is 38 minutes, and the guy was kind of annoyingly promotional and excited, so I couldn't bring myself to watch very much of it. 

The biggest problem with the review is that most of it is just a regurgitation of stuff we've already seen in an endless litany of A7Riii reviews (since the A7iii is so similar).  The TLDR is that he loves Sony MILCs and the Sony MILC experience, and if you absolutely love EVFs and want a full frame EVF camera in the very near future, go buy a Sony.  But if you're invested in a Canon/Nikon system, wait a little while to see what they come up with in the next year.

However, I could turn it around:  "There are no Sony cameras nowdays that are a comparison to DSLRs for a lot of the stuff I like to shoot, so I can throw them all out of a window."

1. You can actually see the painfully slow autofocus at about 3:30 into it, ironically, after he dives into how gen 3 is twice as fast as previous Sonys. I mean, my Canon T2i autofocuses faster than that through the viewfinder, by a factor of, maybe, triple? 

2. You can turn off the lights and AF on a 6DII or any Nikon DSLR with an illuminator; and you can't on a Sony For whoever mentions the Godox X1T... turn off the lights and try to autofocus with it.  Just because it lights up, doesn't mean it actually works.

3. The A7iii and A7Riii are really 8fps cameras, not 10fps cameras if you care about seeing what it is you're photographing through either the display or viewfinder.

4. If you like to shoot above f/8, A7 series sucks you into contrast detect AF, which is horribly slow.  Guess what?  LOTS of flash photography is at f/11 or higher.

5. If you need to AF in dim lighting -- like some modelling lights that aren't super bright, especially through modifiers, an A7Riii's AF is just horrible compared to something like a Canon or Nikon DSLR.

6. He talks about Silent Shutter banding, but never mentions distortion on moving subjects, which is far more significant.

7. If you care about telephoto better than 400/5.6... well, I don't think I have to finish that sentence.

8. If you like mechanical MF lenses, you're SOL.

9. If you enjoy charging batteries, the Sony A7 series is definitely going to be a hit.  He doesn't seem to think so, but I don't believe for a second that he doesn't walk around with a fully charged spare.  Oh, he didn't mention, the A7iii doesn't come with a charger (you plug in a USB cable to the camera to charge it).

10. He would personally buy an A9.  And he's got a whole bunch of A7R's and such.  And he talks about shooting on the Nikon D5 and D850.  But on the Canon end... he's comparing it all to a 6DII?

I could go on and on.  The Sony is a great camera situationally, but there are many times when it's a very poor tool.  I actually don't like most of the unique features that make it special; frankly, a lot of them get in the way of photography, in my opinion.  There are a couple of EVF-specific features that are pretty awesome, but for me, it's not worth the tradeoff, at least not yet.  There is a magnificent sensor, but for me, it's not worth the crappy autofocus.

As a second camera, I think it could work pretty well.  But I'd never give up my 6DII for it.

Thanks Tayls for informative reply. :)
Totally agreed with all your points, many people just do not tell the whole story.

Yes, and therein lies the danger of getting your information from the internet.  No offense intended, but I think the current generation of folks who have grown up with the internet are unfortunately suckers for propaganda.  The internet being, perhaps the greatest tool for propaganda and "spin" that we have ever seen.  Are youtube reviews really unbiased?  Are review sites really unbiased?  Anyone can post "news and information" on the internet with absolutely no regard for truth and integrity.  And there is pretty much no way to tell if you are being fed propaganda or truthful, well researched information.

If you want to buy a camera, go buy one and try it out.  In regards to Sony - you may find that wanting one is a lot more fun and satisfying than having one.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2018, 10:59:32 AM »

mover

• PowerShot SX60 HS
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2018, 12:15:58 PM »
I don't care what camera I buy I always find things I love and things that drive me crazy. The thing I will say is that flip out screen on the 6dII is so handy. I remember when I shot the sx20, still got it, but I thought wow this flip out screen comes in handy. Then I went to the 7D and 5DII and I still curse the things when I want to shoot reAl low or high. As far as Jared is concerned my wife likes him so anything that can get my wife interested in photography is a plus for me.

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2018, 01:17:03 PM »
Well, Jared Polin's views notwithstanding, I just ordered a 6D mark II. Can't wait to get it!

Congrats!  I think it's a fantastic camera.  I love mine.

One thing that doesn't often get mentioned is that the 6DII is very good in post in low light.  To the human eye, when it's unprocessed, the RAW noise not much different than any other.  But when you put it in DPP default settings or use Lightroom at 25 - 50 noise correction for luminance/color, I find that the results are really, really pleasing.

For me, it's like every other Canon enthusiast camera -- very reliable, easy and comfortable to use, and doesn't get in the way of photography.

The thing I will say is that flip out screen on the 6dII is so handy. I remember when I shot the sx20, still got it, but I thought wow this flip out screen comes in handy. Then I went to the 7D and 5DII and I still curse the things when I want to shoot reAl low or high.

I would have bought the 5D4 if a flip-out screen version of it had been made =X  I think it is amazingly handy.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 01:19:04 PM by Talys »

scyrene

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • My Flickr feed
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2018, 02:48:50 PM »
Totally agreed with all your points, many people just do not tell the whole story.

Yes, and therein lies the danger of getting your information from the internet.  No offense intended, but I think the current generation of folks who have grown up with the internet are unfortunately suckers for propaganda.  The internet being, perhaps the greatest tool for propaganda and "spin" that we have ever seen.  Are youtube reviews really unbiased?  Are review sites really unbiased?  Anyone can post "news and information" on the internet with absolutely no regard for truth and integrity.  And there is pretty much no way to tell if you are being fed propaganda or truthful, well researched information.

You think pre-internet print media was unbiased? That print journalists had to pass some test for "truth and integrity" before they were printed? :o

People have access to far more data than they ever did before. So there's a lot more fluff too - there's no reason why people growing up with this are more likely to believe falsehoods than their ancestors. It *is* possible to tell the difference - you can learn how to judge the quality of sources on the internet as in any other area of life.
Current equipment: 5Ds, 5D mark III, 50D, 24-105L, MP-E, 100L macro, 500L IS II; 1.4xIII + 2x III extenders; 600EX-RT.
Former equipment includes: 300D; EOS-M, EF-M 18-55, Samyang 14mm f/2.8, EF 35 f/2 IS, 70-200L f/4 non-IS and f/2.8L IS II, 85L II, Sigma 180 macro, 200L 2.8, 400L 5.6

slclick

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2018, 05:12:44 PM »

You think pre-internet print media was unbiased? That print journalists had to pass some test for "truth and integrity" before they were printed? :o

People have access to far more data than they ever did before. So there's a lot more fluff too - there's no reason why people growing up with this are more likely to believe falsehoods than their ancestors. It *is* possible to tell the difference - you can learn how to judge the quality of sources on the internet as in any other area of life.

The following generation is never viewed as more intelligent by the previous.
That's it, I'm switching to Rollei

stevelee

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2018, 06:52:15 PM »
Well, Jared Polin's views notwithstanding, I just ordered a 6D mark II. Can't wait to get it!

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have my 6D2 these months. I'm still convinced that the camera is a good fit for my needs, interests, and resources.

NancyP

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2018, 07:32:21 PM »
Heck, I am still very pleased with my 6D "classic". It does what I need it to do, and fits well in my hand. I shoot manual exposure a lot, often with manual focus. Super-fine screen installed. I didn't see a compelling reason to upgrade yet, since my uses for this camera are low light, landscape, and macro. For all of these uses, the camera is often on a tripod, and most L-bracket designs seem to interfere with full screen mobility on my 60D (my starter DSLR camera). It would be nice to have L bracket compatibility with a flip screen, would make using Live view for ground-level macro shots (mushrooms, etc) a little easier. Tethering is a PITA in the field, not going to happen for hiking with photo gear.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2018, 07:32:21 PM »

Don Haines

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2018, 07:46:59 PM »
For what I shoot, the orignal 6d batteries last about the same on a single charge to my a7riii, but it's the usb charging that really makes the difference. Probably doesn't matter for most people, but it's huge for how I'm often shooting

Having to use your camera as a battery charger, or pay extra for a dedicated charger, is a good thing?   Or is it that you often need to recharge your camera battery when you have no access to AC power?

USB charging is a good thing for me..... on canoe trips I USB charge my P/S camera...... but my poor Canon..... since they have kept the same LP-6 battery for so long, I can bring along 4 or 5 spares, so no need to recharge there.....
The best camera is the one in your hands

Isaacheus

• EOS M5
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2018, 08:34:57 PM »
For what I shoot, the orignal 6d batteries last about the same on a single charge to my a7riii, but it's the usb charging that really makes the difference. Probably doesn't matter for most people, but it's huge for how I'm often shooting

Having to use your camera as a battery charger, or pay extra for a dedicated charger, is a good thing?   Or is it that you often need to recharge your camera battery when you have no access to AC power?

USB charging is a good thing for me..... on canoe trips I USB charge my P/S camera...... but my poor Canon..... since they have kept the same LP-6 battery for so long, I can bring along 4 or 5 spares, so no need to recharge there.....

I really like the compatibility of the lp6 batteries ugh the 6d and 5d models, and bringing extra batteries is usually fine (until you forget to charge the backups, which has happened once or twice). Adding USB charging to this would be perfect for the next release, just gives it more flexibility

JPAZ

• EOS 5DS R
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2018, 11:40:27 PM »
I really like the compatibility of the lp6 batteries ugh the 6d and 5d models, and bringing extra batteries is usually fine (until you forget to charge the backups, which has happened once or twice). Adding USB charging to this would be perfect for the next release, just gives it more flexibility

Agree that there are times when USB charging would be nice but.......when I lighten the load for trekking, one DSLR, 2 or 3 lenses, and 4 spare batteries is way simple enough and usually got for up to 2 weeks away from recharging if I am careful.

Moving back to the original post, I have friends who shoot and love their Sony and produce excellent images but I'll stick with my Canon.  Use the gear you like and develop your own skills with that gear and all will be well. Each product has strengths and weaknesses which does not make them good or bad, just different.

Many reviews and blogs, while they can be informative, seem to exist to attract viewers and hence generate more income.  With this statement, I do not mean to offend some of our own, here.  I actually am thankful for any vehicle that allows people with knowledge to discuss and review equipment.  I really appreciate the fine comments of all and do appreciate hearing why some might like or dislike a particular piece of gear. 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2018, 11:49:29 PM by JPAZ »
5d MkIV; Eos-M5 and too many lenses; 430 EXii, 430 EXiii-RT, Flashpoint V860ii-C and a lot of stuff.

Bennymiata

• EOS 5D Mark IV
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2018, 05:47:23 AM »
If you need to charge your LPE6 batteries from a USB port, you can buy USB chargers that work fine.
I've got one that charges 2 LPE6's at the same time.
It's  a cheap Chinese one.

Don Haines

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2018, 10:33:13 AM »
If you need to charge your LPE6 batteries from a USB port, you can buy USB chargers that work fine.
I've got one that charges 2 LPE6's at the same time.
It's  a cheap Chinese one.

What is the make and model? How long does it take?
The best camera is the one in your hands

JPAZ

• EOS 5DS R
  • If only I knew what I was doing.....
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2018, 11:23:12 AM »
I've got one that charges 2 LPE6's at the same time. It's  a cheap Chinese one.

Once I lost my LC-E6 charger in Central Asia.  Knowing I'd need to charge batteries before the end of my trip, I went shopping and found a "knock off" charger at a local shop.  The good news is that it worked.  The bad news is that the batteries got unusually hot during charging.  When I got home, the replacement generic charger went away and I got a new OEM charger.  I am sure that some generic chargers are fine but I did not want to risk a cooked battery, a fire or just shortened battery longevity.  Be careful.

JPAZ
5d MkIV; Eos-M5 and too many lenses; 430 EXii, 430 EXiii-RT, Flashpoint V860ii-C and a lot of stuff.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2018, 11:23:12 AM »

tron

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2018, 11:26:10 AM »

Congrats!  I think it's a fantastic camera.  I love mine.

One thing that doesn't often get mentioned is that the 6DII is very good in post in low light.  To the human eye, when it's unprocessed, the RAW noise not much different than any other.  But when you put it in DPP default settings or use Lightroom at 25 - 50 noise correction for luminance/color, I find that the results are really, really pleasing.

For me, it's like every other Canon enthusiast camera -- very reliable, easy and comfortable to use, and doesn't get in the way of photography.

The thing I will say is that flip out screen on the 6dII is so handy. I remember when I shot the sx20, still got it, but I thought wow this flip out screen comes in handy. Then I went to the 7D and 5DII and I still curse the things when I want to shoot reAl low or high.

I would have bought the 5D4 if a flip-out screen version of it had been made =X  I think it is amazingly handy.
25-50 is really too much unless you mean 25 for luminance and 50 for color. Even with 25 in luminance you lose sharpness a little. OK you may tweek the sharpness settings but still. Having said that I use these settings too for my highest iso shots but I am comparing apples to oranges since I do not refer to shooting in the dark pictures but action ones. Also many report that 6DII files can be cleaned nicely in PP so yes you have a point. Could you please elaborate more about your noise handling settings by the way?

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2018, 02:20:06 PM »
25-50 is really too much unless you mean 25 for luminance and 50 for color. Even with 25 in luminance you lose sharpness a little. OK you may tweek the sharpness settings but still. Having said that I use these settings too for my highest iso shots but I am comparing apples to oranges since I do not refer to shooting in the dark pictures but action ones. Also many report that 6DII files can be cleaned nicely in PP so yes you have a point. Could you please elaborate more about your noise handling settings by the way?

Right: generally, on midrange-ISO shots I like 25 luminance, 50 color, and recover a bit more sharpness with a tiny bit sharpening, because you can control the edges there.   On ISO 400 and below, luminance will be between 0-20.  Color is generally pretty non-destructive to detail, so it's just whatever looks good for the shot.

On photos that are higher ISO and have undesirable grain -- obviously depending on the subject -- up to 50 luminance, but that will appear obviously artificially sharpened.  It happens with wildlife shots where there was no choice because of available light, and I where I don't have many photos of that bird or other animal.

But basically, there are photos I really care about and the infinite number of other ones.  On the small number of photos I really care about, it's different for every photo (or set) anyhow.  I start with color, get it where I want it, play with luminance sliders, and then finish with sharpness, often going back to luminance.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2018, 02:20:06 PM »