May 23, 2018, 10:40:37 PM

Author Topic: Two Prosumer Mirrorless Camera Bodies in Development [CR2]  (Read 20540 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • Canon Rumors
Two Prosumer Mirrorless Camera Bodies in Development [CR2]
« on: April 17, 2018, 08:27:56 AM »

We’re told that Canon is actively developing two “prosumer” mirrorless cameras, both of which are full frame.

We’re told that we’ll see the flagship mirrorless camera announced first, and that a lower tier second camera would come 6 to 8 months after the flagship begins shipping.

The same source has also told us that Canon has a “a really nice solution for EF lenses on the full frame mirrorless body”, which doesn’t sound like a native EF mount is coming. That said, we’ve heard other people say a similar thing about EF lenses on the full frame mirrorless camera, but no one has come out and confirmed whether or not the body will be EF mount or something else.

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Two Prosumer Mirrorless Camera Bodies in Development [CR2]
« on: April 17, 2018, 08:27:56 AM »

naylor83

• PowerShot G1 X II
Re: Two Prosumer Mirrorless Camera Bodies in Development [CR2]
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 08:34:49 AM »
The question is: WHEN? When will we know anything about these cameras? When Sigma release their Sony FE Art lenses and Tamron releases their 28-75 f/2.8 I'm not gonna hang around indefinitely to see what Canon may some day, eventually, produce in the full frame mirrorless segment.

dak723

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 08:35:37 AM »
Oh, Goodie!  Another mirrorless thread where we will get 10 to 20 pages of people repeating the same comments they have written a dozen times before!  Yay!

photonius

• EOS M5
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 08:37:01 AM »
The same source has also told us that Canon has a “a really nice solution for EF lenses on the full frame mirrorless body”,

Canon will offer to solder the adapter onto the lens....      ::)

BillB

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 08:43:31 AM »
The question is: WHEN? When will we know anything about these cameras? When Sigma release their Sony FE Art lenses and Tamron releases their 28-75 f/2.8 I'm not gonna hang around indefinitely to see what Canon may some day, eventually, produce in the full frame mirrorless segment.

Thanks for letting us know. 

BurningPlatform

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 08:50:22 AM »

<p>The same source has also told us that Canon has a “a really nice solution for EF lenses on the full frame mirrorless body”,</p>

If this is not the usual adapter with only air inside and some wiring on the barrel, there should be patent applications around it, I suppose. I sincerely hope this solution does not contain moving parts or optical elements. 

amorse

• EOS Rebel SL2
    • Flickr
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 08:51:33 AM »
“a really nice solution for EF lenses on the full frame mirrorless body”

I really struggle to guess what this could be - it certainly seems to imply that it won't be built for only EF lenses, so what's left?  A new lens mount with a new adapter?  A telescoping lens mount?  An lens mount which takes EF and EF(?) where the new lenses have optics which go into the camera past the mount to get the right flange distance?  Time for some wild speculation?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 08:51:33 AM »

fingerstein

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 08:52:49 AM »
OK! I'm selling my 7D mk2. Take my money or forget it, like forever.

fingerstein

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 08:55:23 AM »
The best solution wolul be an adapter like fotodiox fusion nd throttle  - but better. With no color cast.

Mikehit

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 08:55:48 AM »

I really struggle to guess what this could be - it certainly seems to imply that it won't be built for only EF lenses, so what's left?  A new lens mount with a new adapter?  A telescoping lens mount?  An lens mount which takes EF and EF(?) where the new lenses have optics which go into the camera past the mount to get the right flange distance?  Time for some wild speculation?

Ask HarryFilm - he'll know. He has informants everywhere.

criscokkat

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 08:58:56 AM »

My money is still on this. The lenses that can take advantage of this will take advantage of it. Wide angle lenses, and consumer lenses with very long zooms. I bet they could have fun with a zoom that moves the inside optics as well as the outside optics to make something very compact. Something with the same mount for the most part. They might even be able to make the protrusion inside collapsible, extended by your hand locking it into place. That twist could cause the protrusion to extend, thereby protecting older cameras from trying to mount something. This also protects the element at the end as when unmounted it's not protruding anymore than any other lens would.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 09:03:32 AM by criscokkat »

BeenThere

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 09:12:04 AM »
Perhaps the “really nice solution” is an adapter with drop in filter slot. This would allow for a standardized filter size solution for all your EF lenses?

Canoneer

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 09:27:50 AM »
The same source has also told us that Canon has a “a really nice solution for EF lenses on the full frame mirrorless body”, which doesn’t sound like a native EF mount is coming.

It would be nice if that "solution" was a smart adapter with an SLT mirror and PDAF unit built in, which would also have a pentaprism OVF attached to the top which could somehow lock into place on the top of the camera body. It could work if Canon design the new mirrorless the same way as the Fuji GFX - use a modular body with a flat top to allow for an attachable EVF, or an OVF if using the EF to EM (or whatever the mount is called) adapter.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2018, 09:27:50 AM »

CanoKnight

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2018, 09:32:40 AM »
"Solution" implies a problem. The only place this should even be a problem is on a Sony body. Not Canon's own.
5d3, 7d2, 100-400 II, 16-35/4, 24-70/4, 70-200/4, 100/2.8M, 50/1.4, 10-22 efs

Mikehit

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 09:38:52 AM »
"Solution" implies a problem. The only place this should even be a problem is on a Sony body. Not Canon's own.

If the new camera is not a native EF mount then it is a problem for owners of EF lenses. Is it that hard to understand?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 09:38:52 AM »