May 26, 2018, 12:46:11 AM

Author Topic: Two Prosumer Mirrorless Camera Bodies in Development [CR2]  (Read 20846 times)

hmatthes

• EOS Rebel 300D
  • 6D, SL1, 35/1.4, 17-35/2.8, 24-70/2.8, 70-200/2.8
    • Matthes Images Website
Re: Two Prosumer Mirrorless Camera Bodies in Development [CR2]
« Reply #150 on: April 23, 2018, 04:39:35 PM »
The DPReview has just published comprehensive and detailed review of Sony a7 III:

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/sony-a7-iii-review

This is well worth reading to know what is the current state of the aart in prosumer FF mirrorless.

It was surprising to me to find how far Sony has moved in the 5 years since the release of their first FF mirrorless - a7.

Very good review, factual and mostly unbiased.  The A7-III may be tempting but needing a Metabones Model V to support my glass is rather off-putting.  My friends tell me that using an adapter is far from optimal and I agree in principle.  But selling their "L" lenses, they moan about the over-priced equivalent(?) Sony lenses!

CPS loaned me a EOS M5 with Canon's EF adapter and I found absolutely no problems with compatibility, focus, usage, and EXIF using my "L" glass.  This is because the same manufacturer engineered the body, the adapter and the lens.

So I shall wait, impatiently, for Canon's FF Mirrorless -- hopefully aimed at the 5D-xx crowd. 

I'm still shooting the original 6D and using a 5D-IV whenever possible.  Oh, and a Leica Q which shows me how amazing 24mp is on full frame when the same manufacturer builds both body and lens!

Come on Canon, my savings are ready for depletion!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #150 on: April 23, 2018, 04:39:35 PM »

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #151 on: April 23, 2018, 06:36:52 PM »
The DPReview has just published comprehensive and detailed review of Sony a7 III:

This is well worth reading to know what is the current state of the aart in prosumer FF mirrorless.

It was surprising to me to find how far Sony has moved in the 5 years since the release of their first FF mirrorless - a7.

Very good review, factual and mostly unbiased.  The A7-III may be tempting but needing a Metabones Model V to support my glass is rather off-putting.  My friends tell me that using an adapter is far from optimal and I agree in principle.  But selling their "L" lenses, they moan about the over-priced equivalent(?) Sony lenses!

CPS loaned me a EOS M5 with Canon's EF adapter and I found absolutely no problems with compatibility, focus, usage, and EXIF using my "L" glass.  This is because the same manufacturer engineered the body, the adapter and the lens.

So I shall wait, impatiently, for Canon's FF Mirrorless -- hopefully aimed at the 5D-xx crowd. 

I'm still shooting the original 6D and using a 5D-IV whenever possible.  Oh, and a Leica Q which shows me how amazing 24mp is on full frame when the same manufacturer builds both body and lens!

The adapters are a nightmare, because they seem good until you miss a whole bunch of shots because of slow AF, AF hunting, strange voodoo or outright crash.  :(  Don't use one except for lenses that you use only very infrequently, in my opinion.

The review has a lot of pros/cons that are fact-based, and remarkably, actually looks like someone tried to use the camera.  The list of what they didn't like for sports/wildlife photography is actually pretty close to what I don't like -- and those are kind of a deal-killer for me. 

It does mention that AF in continuous is at the aperture you set, not the widest aperture; it doesn't mention that AF is always slower than a modern PDAF DSLR that's same-priced or higher, and it also doesn't mention that AF in single-shot is contract detect and annoyingly hunts even when you have tons of light.

I too look forward to a Canon mirrorless, as the M5 simply feels like a better photography experience than the A7/A9 series.  If they can carry that over to the full frame offering, I'll be pretty happy.  Oh, as long as there is a flippy screen, too! :D

cellomaster27

• EOS 80D
  • Capture the moment!
« Reply #152 on: April 24, 2018, 02:02:53 AM »

The adapters are a nightmare, because they seem good until you miss a whole bunch of shots because of slow AF, AF hunting, strange voodoo or outright crash.  :(  Don't use one except for lenses that you use only very infrequently, in my opinion.

The review has a lot of pros/cons that are fact-based, and remarkably, actually looks like someone tried to use the camera.  The list of what they didn't like for sports/wildlife photography is actually pretty close to what I don't like -- and those are kind of a deal-killer for me. 

It does mention that AF in continuous is at the aperture you set, not the widest aperture; it doesn't mention that AF is always slower than a modern PDAF DSLR that's same-priced or higher, and it also doesn't mention that AF in single-shot is contract detect and annoyingly hunts even when you have tons of light.

I too look forward to a Canon mirrorless, as the M5 simply feels like a better photography experience than the A7/A9 series.  If they can carry that over to the full frame offering, I'll be pretty happy.  Oh, as long as there is a flippy screen, too! :D

If this rumored camera comes out by September, I'll buy pre-order it before my trip to Asia.  I love my 5D3 but it's big and I'll be backpacking to 6-7 countries.  I figure the lighter and smaller, the better.  I do want the full frame sensor rather than the aps-c mirrorless offerings.  I never pre-ordered anything but this may be it.  Please don't disappoint me Canon!!  You've been soooooo good at that!   ;D :'(
5D3, EOS M, 28mm f1.8, 10-22mm f3.5-4.5, 60mm f2.8, 40mm f2.8, 85mm f1.8, 300mm F4 L IS, 16-35mm F4 L IS USM, 70-200mm F4 L IS, 24-105mm F4 L IS USM, 50mm f1.8 STM, 14mm f2.8 Samyang, Sigma 150-600mm C, 430 EX II, eos m lenses, DJI mavic air, lighting.

amoschon.com [/URL

Antono Refa

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #153 on: May 01, 2018, 03:40:33 AM »

This is because the manufacturer engineered the body so as to make the adapter trivial. If Canon chooses a whole new mount for FF MILC, it might be unable to produce an adapter that would make the whole system work.

TonyPicture

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #154 on: May 01, 2018, 05:41:18 AM »
We've not had too much talk of the CFFM camera in a few weeks, I was looking forward to hearing or seeing something more concrete on this front, after coming from a Sony A7ii to a Canon 6d2 I'd be willing to jump right in and buy one, I doubt we'll see a release this year and it will be interesting to see the actually specs, cost and the way the reviewers react when Canon show up with the long awaited FFM and if the M50 is anything to go by it will be a cracking camera but I think with a high price tag so as to protect the flag ship style DSLR cameras... Just my thoughts!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 08:33:28 AM by TonyPicture »

Phil Indeblanc

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #155 on: May 04, 2018, 12:58:28 PM »
It has to be the same EF mount or it will be a few and hard road. Besides, as crappy as the Sony electronics are, I am using the EF with Metabones and I deal with it just fine in studio. It just has bad response times in the field and hunting, etc...besides the electronic glitches it sometimes has...

I would be SUPER HAPPY to have a adapter solution. THIS IS the right way to go.  I sure am not buying a new set of lenses. If I was I would have gotten the Sony's already. But the Sony is not a camera first. It is a Electronic device and the camera plays catchup. Not so on the Canons.   The Canon mirrorless will have to be at least 40+ mpixels for me to change, as my 5D3/4 are doing fine along the A7RII/III. I use all 4 and the Sony is great in studio while it fails on the field. Sony viewfinder is a joke next to Canon. Also the electronics is just not reliable. Canon is OK in studio, but the Sony is more practical with live view.
Size is not an issue for either system. This is the lamest argument when you get into the lenses. With the Canon a batt grip is not needed, now same for the A7rIII, a bit smaller. Big deal. Its actually horrible ergo to hold. Maybe all Canon needs is a Live View addition to the existing system. I think some hybrid transparent mirror was something Nikon had in the works.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2018, 01:07:03 PM by Phil Indeblanc »

greger

• EOS 80D
  • 7D
« Reply #156 on: May 04, 2018, 03:16:59 PM »
The lens mount of the Mirrorless Cameras will be the same as my Apsc Cameras. A white dot for Apsc and a red dot for full frame lenses. Mirrorless means no mirror slap when you mount an apsc  lens. It should also allow faster frame rates.
Canon 7D | EFS 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM - EF 50mm f/1.8 Mark l - EF 100mm f/2.8 IS USM Macro - EF 70-200mm   f/4 L IS USM- EF 100-400    f4.5-5.6 IS USM - 1.4 ll and 2X ll Extenders

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #156 on: May 04, 2018, 03:16:59 PM »