August 23, 2014, 02:50:22 PM

Author Topic: Used 1D Mark IV dirty sensor  (Read 2204 times)

kenjancef

Used 1D Mark IV dirty sensor
« on: February 18, 2012, 10:34:16 PM »
I purchased a used 1D Mark IV, received it yesterday (Friday the 17th). Took it out for an hour for testing and messing around, came back and saw spots in my pics. Luckily I had an extra CPS coupon so I immediately boxed it up and it's on it's way to Jamesburg.

So my question is: being new to the Mark IV, are they prone to dirty sensors, kinda like the old 5D Classic, or is it just one of those things? By the way, the shutter count is approx. 9,300, but I am having Canon tell me that while it's there.

Thanks for all help...

Ken

briansquibb

Re: Used 1D Mark IV dirty sensor
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 10:59:31 PM »
I purchased a used 1D Mark IV, received it yesterday (Friday the 17th). Took it out for an hour for testing and messing around, came back and saw spots in my pics. Luckily I had an extra CPS coupon so I immediately boxed it up and it's on it's way to Jamesburg.

So my question is: being new to the Mark IV, are they prone to dirty sensors, kinda like the old 5D Classic, or is it just one of those things? By the way, the shutter count is approx. 9,300, but I am having Canon tell me that while it's there.

Thanks for all help...

Ken

Been using mine for 6 months without a problem

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 12:04:56 AM »
i want one :( nearly got one on ebay last week but it fell through :(
APS-H Fanboy

cfargo

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 12:40:25 AM »
The larger the sensor the more proan to dust the are and the harder they are to clean. So the 5d does have more dust issues than the 1D mk  IV.

Actionpix

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 01:23:12 AM »
Even when I get a brand new cam the first thing I do, after going through the manual, is clean the sensor. Okay, it is extra work, but that is just the way it is. Dust being a problem mainly depends on the kind of images you are shooting. Meaning, shooting mostly wide open with a lot of detail in the sharp area will show dust only when there are big particles, shooting a landscape with a big amount of clear sky will show much smaller particles much sooner. The best thing to do is just to invest some extra money in a wet cleaning set. Shooting for years portraits without a problem and suddenly discovering you have a problem when stopping down the aperture and not being able to fix the problem quickly yourself sucks. So just get a cleaning set.

Michael_pfh

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 01:53:57 AM »
I haven't had any problems with mine so far.
1DX | 14 2.8L II | 16-35 2.8L II | 24 1.4L II | 24-70 2.8L II | ZE 35 2.0 | ZE 50 2.0 | 85 1.2L II | 100 2.8L IS | 135 2.0L | 70-200 2.8L IS II | 200 F2.0L IS | 300 2.8L IS II | 400 2.8L IS II | 500 4.0L IS

wockawocka

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Wedding Photography
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 03:23:23 AM »

So my question is: being new to the Mark IV, are they prone to dirty sensors, kinda like the old 5D Classic, or is it just one of those things?

Thanks for all help...

Ken

After 8 different Canon bodies including the 1D4 I will say they all appear equal. Technique and location make a difference to the dust you pick up. Studio cameras are always clean. Cameras where the owner has loads of lenses less so.
1DX, 5D3 and Hasselblad H Series owner.

kenjancef

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 02:08:25 PM »
The best thing to do is just to invest some extra money in a wet cleaning set. Shooting for years portraits without a problem and suddenly discovering you have a problem when stopping down the aperture and not being able to fix the problem quickly yourself sucks. So just get a cleaning set.

I did that when I had the issues with the 5D, but I couldn't clean it for the life of me. So I sent it to Canon. Unfortunately at the time I was NOT a CPS member, so it cost me about $200.

I'm very sad that I don't have the Mark IV, but in the end I'll feel better knowing that it got some maintenance. Hopefully that's the only issue they'll find.

Thanks all!!