May 23, 2018, 10:56:45 PM

Author Topic: CANON VS SONY A7III  (Read 6766 times)

bergstrom

• EOS Rebel SL2
CANON VS SONY A7III
« on: April 19, 2018, 08:10:42 AM »
Does anyone know if Canon are working on anything to compete with  the a7iii?

canon rumors FORUM

CANON VS SONY A7III
« on: April 19, 2018, 08:10:42 AM »

zim

• EOS-1D X Mark II
Re: CANON VS SONY A7III
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 08:13:31 AM »
No they are definitely not, they gave up
         ....... random internet punter

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 08:52:58 AM »

Which is a better camera for you depends on what you want to photograph and what you want in a camera.

In my opinion, the 6DII remains better choice by far for virtually everything I want to shoot, which is mostly wildlife and studio photography.

I also subtract points for the a7/a9's body size, since the two lenses I usually have mounted to my camera are 70-200/2.8 and 100-400, both of which feel pretty unbalanced on the a7 bodies ungripped, and still ergonomically inferior with a grip.  They also feel odd with a full size flash on them, because guess what, a GN60 flash is still the same size whether it's a Canon, Nikon or Sony; plus, the 1st party flash system is incomplete (their full size flash is incompatible with their wireless system).

There is also the issue of lens prices - Sony FE lenses are still pretty limited to popular zoom ranges, and horribly expensive in comparison to Canon/Nikon whether it's zooms like 70-200/2.8 or "money primes" like 85/1.4.

But, if you want to mostly use little lenses and you want a little camera, and you want EVF on a full frame body today, and don't care too much about using a flash, go buy a Sony!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 08:58:18 AM by Talys »

padam

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 08:58:40 AM »
Depends on what you prefer, really

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8SouvgDqJ0

The points here are still valid, except that the A7III is a cheaper but stronger camera with less flaws than the A7RII
(I don't agree about the colors, I think Canon is better even in RAW)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ONoxZkzqUk

This is also a good review for video from a Canon user

As a complete system, Canon is considerably cheaper because of the availability of cheaper / older lenses.

Both options are fine with a different approach, different strengths and weaknesses, people are just far too hostile trying to push one over the other (e.g. one is too conservative, the other is flawed, new stuff is always hyped, etc.).

In a few years time we will probably see a convergence towards each other (better software and ergonomics on the Sony, more features on the Canon)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 09:13:22 AM by padam »

johnf3f

• EOS 5DS R
  • Canon 1Dx
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 07:11:37 PM »
Does anyone know if Canon are working on anything to compete with  the a7iii? - No idea.

Does anyone know if Sony are working on anything to compete with Canon? - not at the moment!

I am sure there are a number of happy Sony users out there but, currently, Sony do not make a suitable camera for my (mainly wildlife) uses and they certainly don't (and don't seem to be planning to) make any suitable lenses! So Sony is simply not an option for me.
Canon 1DX, 7D2, 16-35 F4 L IS, 24-70 F2.8 V2, 100 F2.8 Macro, 100-400 L IS Mk2, 300 F2.8 L IS, 800 F5.6 L IS, Holga Pinhole lens.

3kramd5

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2018, 10:16:59 PM »
Does anyone know if Canon are working on anything to compete with  the a7iii? - No idea.

Does anyone know if Sony are working on anything to compete with Canon? - not at the moment!

So you don’t know what Canon is working on, but you know what Sony is not working on?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 11:38:06 AM by 3kramd5 »

johnf3f

• EOS 5DS R
  • Canon 1Dx
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 05:10:31 PM »

So you don’t know what Canon is working on, but you know what Sony is not working on?

My only sources are what Sony tell us and the odd leak (?) + what they are actually producing - I rest my case. The only positive that I have found is a possibility of a 400 F2.8 at some unspecified time and unspecified cost, half the focal length that I use, but still possibly a positive? Unfortunately I don't know of any A series bodies that are robust enough for a lens like this in the wildlife/sports world.

I have no doubt that Sony can produce one of (if not the) best all round camera systems - they have the industrial muscle to do so with ease, but do they want to? I see few sings so far.

P.S. the reason that I have no idea whether Canon is producing anything to compete with the A7iii is that I haven't looked. Why would I? A camera without an ovf (with current technology) is about as much use as the proverbial to me and many others.
Canon 1DX, 7D2, 16-35 F4 L IS, 24-70 F2.8 V2, 100 F2.8 Macro, 100-400 L IS Mk2, 300 F2.8 L IS, 800 F5.6 L IS, Holga Pinhole lens.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2018, 05:10:31 PM »

3kramd5

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2018, 05:22:52 PM »

My only sources are what Sony tell us and the odd leak (?) + what they are actually producing - I rest my case...

I take the OP as asking about what they (Canon) are developing, not what they’re currently producing. Only someone with inside information could rest that case ;)

dak723

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2018, 06:22:04 PM »

There are numerous threads (both current and recent) regarding what Canon is working on in terms of FF mirrorless that you can check out, but most info is still speculation.  I presume that is what you are asking about.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2018, 07:12:17 PM »

What makes you think Canon thinks the a7III is worthy of competition?
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

padam

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2018, 07:34:31 PM »
What makes you think Canon thinks the a7III is worthy of competition?

Well, without Sony, C-Log wouldn't even be an official option in a 5D Mark IV.
There is a 1DX II with quite an extensive video feature set that in some ways better 1DC (originally priced at 12000$) and there is no separate 1DC II model this time, etc.

Of course they are not stupid, they won't say anything like that publicly and it is not their main focus anyway, but they are always looking at the market.

The A7III is definitely the strongest alternative so far, because by the time they come out with their own system, it can be discounted, so even their allegedly cheaper model will cost considerably more (but that's the body only, lenses are a different matter altogether)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 07:39:34 PM by padam »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2018, 07:50:58 PM »
Sure, and butterflies flapping their wings in the Peking harbor cause Atlantic hurricanes.

BillB

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2018, 09:01:01 PM »
Sure, and butterflies flapping their wings in the Peking harbor cause Atlantic hurricanes.

Peking harbor?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2018, 09:01:01 PM »

Orangutan

« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2018, 09:07:33 PM »

Peking harbor?

Forget it, he's rolling

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2018, 09:14:20 PM »

Peking harbor?

Well, it's been Beijing for several decades now.  But I'm old.  :P

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2018, 09:14:20 PM »