October 20, 2014, 11:59:02 PM

Author Topic: Eneloop batteries for my flash  (Read 10227 times)

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Eneloop batteries for my flash
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2012, 10:35:26 AM »
I used to use the Energizer rechargeables in everything.  I had the charger with the fan in it.   About a week after I bought my 580exii, one of them leaked all over inside it.  It still works (fortunately), but I threw every rechargeable battery I had away.  Double A's are dirt cheap if you buy a 36 pack, and they last a lot longer.  I'll never use the expensive rechargeables again.

Bummer about the leak, but I trust you're aware that regular old AA batteries can leak, too.  IMO, the main advantage of the NiMH rechargeables isn't the long-term cost savings or the environmental benefit of generating less waste.  The lower resistance of the NiMH chemistry means the flash recycles twice as fast as with alkaline AA batteries - and that's a huge advantage.

How can anything be a more important advantage than minimizing environmental harm?  Tsk tsk tsk  :P

(I'm not saying though that I don't enjoy the faster recycling time  ;D)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 10:36:58 AM by Meh »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2012, 10:35:26 AM »

Breacher1

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2012, 10:36:15 AM »
The problem comes in when a battery just fails while inside the flash.  I've had it happen a couple of times before.  Easier to just load them when needed then try and deal with a battery mfgr to get a repair covered for another piece of gear.  :(

I've used the 15 min fan-cooled charger from Sony for a decade now, and replaced my AA's once. It's much better for a battery to be boosted properly than to slow charge at much lower voltage...

I did an experiment with a car battery once, adding some more powerful diodes and also put a few more rounds round the transformer, and boosted the charging current and voltage to 17 V, and I brought back many dead batteries to life. If they never get enough power out from the charger, the battery slowly dies.

I don't use the Eneloops, but I do use the 2700mAh Sanyo, and they're great. What you need to look at is the battery-packs that lets you run your flash on 12 or 16 batteries instead of 4, you'll never worry about battery again. And no changing batteries, plus it's a great way to keep track of your batteries.

00Q

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2012, 10:59:42 AM »
I use Energizer NiMH rechargeable and sadly, they are not as cool as Eneloops.  Cheaper, more flashes, and faster cycling though, so I stick with them.

Here is a good page about Eneloops: http://www.stefanv.com/electronics/sanyo_eneloop.html
Basicly it says you should be fine with your charger.

So the energisers are "Cheaper, more flashes, and faster cycling though"????? that means the eneloops are only good to holding on to their charges longer. Are you sure there isnt a typo in there?

RC

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2012, 11:02:32 AM »
Since we are talking about batteries, I want to share an awesome battery caddy to hold your batteries (I have 3, thanks again Syl).  Normally I don't get excited about a piece of molded plastic, but these caddies are excellent; strong non-brittle plastic, batteries snap in and will not fall out, orient your batteries up or down to indicate charged or discharged, and come in multiple sizes and colors.

http://www.amazon.com/Storacell-Powerpax-Battery-Caddy-Yellow/dp/B004YG7JXW/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1329666567&sr=1-2

http://www.amazon.com/Storacell-Powerpax-Battery-Caddy-Orange/dp/B004YG7LA8/ref=pd_bxgy_e_img_b

http://www.amazon.com/Storacell-Powerpax-Battery-Caddy-Black/dp/B001AQYJI2/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1329666567&sr=1-5

« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 05:15:58 PM by RC »

Breacher1

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2012, 12:57:18 PM »
+1
Just ordered several of these last week and they are GREAT!!

Since we are talking about batteries, I wanted to share an awesome battery caddy to hold your batteries (I have 3, thanks again Syl).  Normally I don't get excited about a piece of molded plastic, but these caddies and excellent, strong non-brittle plastic, batteries snap in and will not fall out, orient your batteries up or down to indicate charged or discharged, and come in multiple sizes and colors. 

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 01:03:52 PM »
Although I have 4 pack storage containers that come with batteries from Thomas distributing, I ordered three of the 12 battery holders just now.  I am tired of having several 4 packs in my camera case, and its hard to tell which are discharged, I move them to different pockets now.

Thanks for the link!

DBCdp

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2012, 04:46:47 PM »
I use the semi transparent cases for 4 batteries and when I take them out of the flash I leave them in the 2 up 2 down configuration to show me they've been in use. Makes it easy to differentiate from the fresh ones.

The LSD type of NiMh, like Neuro said, have less internal resistance and recycle faster. So multiple flash shots are the norm...even beating out lithium primaries.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2012, 04:46:47 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2012, 04:55:21 PM »
I used to use the Energizer rechargeables in everything.  I had the charger with the fan in it.   About a week after I bought my 580exii, one of them leaked all over inside it.  It still works (fortunately), but I threw every rechargeable battery I had away.  Double A's are dirt cheap if you buy a 36 pack, and they last a lot longer.  I'll never use the expensive rechargeables again.

Bummer about the leak, but I trust you're aware that regular old AA batteries can leak, too.  IMO, the main advantage of the NiMH rechargeables isn't the long-term cost savings or the environmental benefit of generating less waste.  The lower resistance of the NiMH chemistry means the flash recycles twice as fast as with alkaline AA batteries - and that's a huge advantage.

I've never had a rechargable battery leak, and i've had hundreds of them.  A battery  may have been damaged from fast charging or discharging, the pressure builds up when they get hot.

On the other hand, I've had almost every brand of alkaline batteries, and all of them will leak if left in the equipment too long.  They are a real problem if they are older batteries.  I've bought batteries 1500 at a time for use in my business, and once they are near the expiry date, they can leak at any time.

CaptainZero

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2012, 10:08:08 AM »
I did think it was odd when it happened, but I hadn't had a battery leak since I was a kid.  I use my camera and flash almost every day, and there is no way I'm taking the batteries out after every use.  I may have received a bad battery, but whatever the case, I'm not switching back.  I don't have problems with recycling times, but I did notice the rechargeable batteries didn't hold a charge nearly as long as a standard alkaline. 

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2012, 12:01:21 PM »
  I don't have problems with recycling times, but I did notice the rechargeable batteries didn't hold a charge nearly as long as a standard alkaline.

Thats why the Eneloop batteries are popular, they hold the charge for a long time.  The newest version keeps about 75% of its charge for a year.  Thats still not as long as a standard alkaline will hold its charge, and as long as you don't go theu several sets a week, they probably work fine for you.

kennykodak

• Rebel T5i
  • M.Photog.MEI.Cr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2012, 06:40:49 PM »
Although I have 4 pack storage containers that come with batteries from Thomas distributing, I ordered three of the 12 battery holders just now.  I am tired of having several 4 packs in my camera case, and its hard to tell which are discharged, I move them to different pockets now.

Thanks for the link!

i have my fresh batteries facing one direction, used batteries mixed up.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2012, 06:49:30 PM »
All this time, I've just been tossing them all in a ziplock sandwich bag, then when I need a fresh set, I put some in the flash, and if it doesn't fire, I keep swapping them out one by one until I have a working set of four.  I just knew there had to be a better way...   ;)

Seriously, great suggestions, everyone!

EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

briansquibb

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2012, 07:38:07 PM »
I have coloured plastic cases of two colours. New in the clear case, old in the red. Each case holds 4 rechargables

I have yet to get through 2 complete sets of batteries - so that is only 5 cases to carry.  If I think I am going to need more (ie when travelling) I take battery chargers too
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 07:40:58 PM by briansquibb »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2012, 07:38:07 PM »

Jamesy

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2012, 10:11:43 PM »
I will only use Eneloops now. My old Energizers still get airplay in remotes and such but my four flashes are pretty much Eneloops. I use a Powerex MH-C9000 smart charger as it tells you which cells are on the way out. I also have all of my sets labelled and always keep them in sets of four. I too bought the 4 cell holders from Thomas Distributing and they are great - nice and compact.

I have seen the Tigerdirect Ultra batteries die on many occasions - again the smart charger tells me the cells can no longer take a full charge then it is time to pitch them.

I run all me batteries through the long 40 hour recycle process every year or so and the Eneloops consistently hold near their rated capacity.

djw

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2012, 10:38:47 PM »
Very timely.

I have been using the 'coloured box method'. I have some neat (4xAA or 4xAAA) plastic holders that clip together - I have red and green colours to separate out changed and non-chargered batteries--they can from DealExtreme (http://www.dealextreme.com/p/4-x-aa-battery-case-holder-3-pack-3558).

While this is a good system it does mean that I need to carry two holders for each set of batts. Last night I saw this old post on DIY photography--it uses a sticker system to carry changed and non-charged in the same holder.

http://www.diyphotography.net/the-ultimate-guide-to-managing-batteries-on-location

Cheers

David

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 26, 2012, 10:38:47 PM »