October 02, 2014, 12:32:24 AM

Author Topic: Eneloop batteries for my flash  (Read 10149 times)

00Q

Eneloop batteries for my flash
« on: February 18, 2012, 11:01:29 PM »
Hope this is thie right place to post this.

Im planning to get the energiser 1-hour charger. Looks pretty  convenient for backpacking. 1 hour charging. Thats all I need.

Im aware that the eneloop batteries are cool. Just wondered if anyone has used that in any energisers chargers? Or is there a way to find out if they are compartible with the energiser 1-hour chargers?

thanks,

canon rumors FORUM

Eneloop batteries for my flash
« on: February 18, 2012, 11:01:29 PM »

smirkypants

Re: Eneloop batteries for my flash
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 11:12:18 PM »
Everyone says that 1 hour chargers significantly reduces the lifespan of rechargeables. I use Eneloops and they do take forever to fully charge, so that's a pain. Is it so inconvenient to just take an extra set of batteries?

00Q

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 11:24:08 PM »
Everyone says that 1 hour chargers significantly reduces the lifespan of rechargeables. I use Eneloops and they do take forever to fully charge, so that's a pain. Is it so inconvenient to just take an extra set of batteries?

It feels that 1 hour charger is quite useful on the move. backpacking. This seems ot be better than even the 3-4 hours options.... trying to take the minimum if I could. The 1 hour charger i already have so prefer to spend cash on other things and not a new charger if possible. just buy the eneloop rechargeables if they can be charged in the 1 hour charger from energiser...

TexPhoto

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 11:50:28 PM »
I use Energizer NiMH rechargeable and sadly, they are not as cool as Eneloops.  Cheaper, more flashes, and faster cycling though, so I stick with them.

Here is a good page about Eneloops: http://www.stefanv.com/electronics/sanyo_eneloop.html
Basicly it says you should be fine with your charger.

vuilang

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 11:52:12 PM »
#1 priority is: made sure the charger is Smart = Automatic disconnect as the batteries are fully charged.

MazV-L

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 12:32:33 AM »
I use only eneloop and imedion LD-NiMH batteries in my speedlites (because they're recommended by Syl Arena) and have no regrets, I charge them in a Powerex charger. I also use Energiser re-chargables in equipment such as mouse and keyboard, I sometimes charge my energisers in the powerex charger, but would never charge the eneloops and imedions in the compact energiser charger that I have- it doesn't auto switch off when the batteries are full whereas my powerex does, and the powerex has fast and soft charge options as well.
I simply pack a set of spare fully-charged eneloops or imedions when I'm using my speedlights(and CP-e4), I find they hold their charge well for re-chargables.

RC

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 12:58:40 AM »
I use only eneloop and imedion LD-NiMH batteries in my speedlites (because they're recommended by Syl Arena) and have no regrets, I charge them in a Powerex charger. I also use Energiser re-chargables in equipment such as mouse and keyboard, I sometimes charge my energisers in the powerex charger, but would never charge the eneloops and imedions in the compact energiser charger that I have- it doesn't auto switch off when the batteries are full whereas my powerex does, and the powerex has fast and soft charge options as well.
I simply pack a set of spare fully-charged eneloops or imedions when I'm using my speedlights(and CP-e4), I find they hold their charge well for re-chargables.

Dido, I too took Syl Arena's advice and use Eneloop LD-NiMH (low discharge) for ready to go and Powerex NiMH for when I have time to charge.  I use the Powerex Maha MH-C801D charger with 8 bays that has a condition, 1 hour (rapid), and soft charge modes. 

I learned the hard way not store batteries in your Speedlight.   Canon charged me $100 to repair a alkaline battery leak in my 580 EX II.

Edit:  The leaked alkaline battery was a Rayovac.   At the same time as my damaged 580, I also had a leak in one of my 430 EX IIs, also Rayovac alk.   Based on what others have posted, never store alkalines in a flash unit and store rechargables with caution. 
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 10:03:43 AM by RC »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2012, 12:58:40 AM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2012, 01:46:00 AM »
this reminds me, I keep my speedlights and battery packs with eneloops in them then have all the spares in plastic cases.
Is it bad to keep them in the units?
just it would take up heaps of room if i were to store them outside and then i have to go loading all the batteries and battery packs every time i want to use them

what is everyones take on this?
APS-H Fanboy

MazV-L

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2012, 03:36:19 AM »
this reminds me, I keep my speedlights and battery packs with eneloops in them then have all the spares in plastic cases.
Is it bad to keep them in the units?
just it would take up heaps of room if i were to store them outside and then i have to go loading all the batteries and battery packs every time i want to use them

what is everyones take on this?
I do the same, leave the batteries in my 580exii's and 430ex because they get alot of use whereas my 550ex I store empty because I don't often use it anymore.

An advantage of my Powerex charger is that it lets me know if a battery is faulty or dead.

Leaky batteries would be more of a problem in humid climates wouldn't it -corrosion from damp??  Where I live there's not usually a humidity problem.

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2012, 05:47:24 AM »
I've used the 15 min fan-cooled charger from Sony for a decade now, and replaced my AA's once. It's much better for a battery to be boosted properly than to slow charge at much lower voltage...

I did an experiment with a car battery once, adding some more powerful diodes and also put a few more rounds round the transformer, and boosted the charging current and voltage to 17 V, and I brought back many dead batteries to life. If they never get enough power out from the charger, the battery slowly dies.

I don't use the Eneloops, but I do use the 2700mAh Sanyo, and they're great. What you need to look at is the battery-packs that lets you run your flash on 12 or 16 batteries instead of 4, you'll never worry about battery again. And no changing batteries, plus it's a great way to keep track of your batteries.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2012, 07:06:25 AM »
I really like my eneloop batteries. I'm not fussed about the charger they came with, even though it's a long recharge time.  Honestly, I've never exhausted a set of batteries in a 430EX II.  Granted, I don't shoot weddings, but for my usage they're fine.  In fact, when going on a trip I don't even take the charger - for short trips, the batteries in the flash are fine, for longer trips I take a second set of batteries.

I do keep them in the flashes for storage, but they get used at least weekly, and I trade off which flash I grab if I'm only using one.  Every month or two, I just charge them all up over a day or two.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Isurus

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2012, 08:11:24 AM »
I'm also an eneloop user.  While I agree the charger it comes with takes a shade under a decade to charge batteries, I just have multiple sets and charge overnight.  IMO its not worth the risk of trashing the batteries.

I do not store batteries in the flash though as I had a battery explode in one once.  Granted, I hadn't used the flash for a few weeks, but it made me nervous going forward.  It trashed the flash, but the battery company (Rayovac) replaced it for me.  Good customer service at least!

DBCdp

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 09:21:43 AM »
Been using Eneloops and Imedion for years now, charged in a Maha Powerex 801 8 bay charger as well. Still using my first set of Eneloops from 07. They stay in the flash, and stay ready to use all the time. 2 430 EX's that I don't use often are nonetheless always ready to go.

Alkalines are the ones that will leak and damage equipment, it's rare for a NiMh to do so.

My experience with the Everready Rechargeables is that they don't hold a charge long, neither in storage or in use. I've seen a "Professional" that charged plenty using the Eveready's and having to recharge during a wedding. The guy actually had to run across the street and buy some alkalines during the wedding! I've shot many weddings and used the flash hard, after about 350 shots they come out of the flash hot, still working but need fresh ones for multiple flash scenario's like bouquet toss. I typically use 3 sets of 4 and take 1100-1500 pictures at a wedding, every one a flash picture.

I've never charge mine in the Eveready charger, and wouldn't, but the PowerEx charger uses a 1 hr charge and they've been fine on that.

When ordering batteries from www.batteryjunction.com they usually send a plastic case for 4 with the batteries, just carry a couple of extra sets....you probably won't need em as 2 sets will more than likely get you a couple of thousand pictures when not taking rapid repeat shots. The real key there is to help your flash in bad conditions with an ISO bump so the flash won't have to output 100%, that'll ensure they last longer as well as taking better care of your flash unit. So in very dark conditions where you want a fairly small aperture, be sure to bump ISO to at least 400 to assist.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2012, 09:21:43 AM »

CaptainZero

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2012, 09:36:45 AM »
I used to use the Energizer rechargeables in everything.  I had the charger with the fan in it.   About a week after I bought my 580exii, one of them leaked all over inside it.  It still works (fortunately), but I threw every rechargeable battery I had away.  Double A's are dirt cheap if you buy a 36 pack, and they last a lot longer.  I'll never use the expensive rechargeables again.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 10:25:22 AM »
I used to use the Energizer rechargeables in everything.  I had the charger with the fan in it.   About a week after I bought my 580exii, one of them leaked all over inside it.  It still works (fortunately), but I threw every rechargeable battery I had away.  Double A's are dirt cheap if you buy a 36 pack, and they last a lot longer.  I'll never use the expensive rechargeables again.

Bummer about the leak, but I trust you're aware that regular old AA batteries can leak, too.  IMO, the main advantage of the NiMH rechargeables isn't the long-term cost savings or the environmental benefit of generating less waste.  The lower resistance of the NiMH chemistry means the flash recycles twice as fast as with alkaline AA batteries - and that's a huge advantage.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 10:25:22 AM »