May 22, 2018, 06:28:24 AM

Author Topic: The TIPA and EISA Award Winners Have Been Announced  (Read 8681 times)

Durf

• EOS Rebel 300D
    • Durf's Journal - Photography Art
Re: The TIPA and EISA Award Winners Have Been Announced
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2018, 12:02:34 AM »

Frankly, I have no idea why people want to upgrade camera bodies every couple of years. I mean, don't they have anything else they would rather spend money on... lenses... lighting... birthday gift for wife...

It's an addiction and or obsession, a psychological trap or hole one falls in to.....when all one really needs to do is focus on their art and create some great photographs with the gear they do have, rather than worrying that it isn't high tech enough! sheesh!.

I can't remember one time 30 or so years ago where I seen a photographer stuff two rolls of film in his camera just in case one roll failed....now days people freak out over a camera with only one card slot! LOL

I'm one of the fools that bought a 6D Mark ii last year when it was released after reading all the negative comments about it and watching all the bashing hate videos about it on youtube. I now probably need to see a psychiatrists because I absolutely enjoy using it and I get fantastic images with it (perhaps I need to have my eyes tested too).

I have a pile of prints from a second hand 5 mega pixel Kodak that I took around 2002 that actually look pretty good but because of the Sony A7iii I probably should just throw them out because they are not keepers anymore....

But in the meanwhile I'll just use my 6D mark ii and my 80D and enjoy what I like doing.....and that's taking the best and coolest images that I am able too with the gear that I have!

« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 12:05:46 AM by Durf »
6D2 | 80D | T6i | 16-35mm f/4L | 50mm f/1.8 STM | Tamron SP 45mm & 85mm f/1.8  | 100mm f2.8L Macro | 70-300mm IS USM ii | Sigma 150-600mm | 
Pentax K1000 | Vintage Glass: Takumar-Pentax-Helios |
www.DurfsJournal.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2018, 12:02:34 AM »

Quirkz

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2018, 01:15:16 AM »
Since when is the 6DII a professional tool?

.... you’re joking right?

In the hands of a professional, it’s a professional tool. More than capable of incredible photography. Like any dslr available today.

Quirkz

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2018, 01:29:01 AM »
I'd say it was the 4K video on the 6DII that made the difference.
Pity they have it so well hidden in the menus that very few people find it.

Heh.

Nice one :)

albron00

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #33 on: April 21, 2018, 04:25:02 AM »
"What are they smoking?

BillB

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #34 on: April 21, 2018, 07:23:43 AM »
The are times when it Canon Rumors becomes  wonderfully funny place.  This thread is one of those times.

The Fat Fish

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • VFX Artist
« Reply #35 on: April 21, 2018, 08:14:50 AM »
How serious are these awards if even the 6DII get's one?

Why doesn't it deserve one?

Because it was the most criticised camera of the last decade? It was not a good release for it's price or release year. From a personal perspective, I had saved up for the 6DII in anticipation for it's announcement and then on release I have never been so disappointed. Admittedly I am a 6D user so the reasons to upgrade are almost none.

The 6DII was two features short of what it should have been as a $2000 2017 camera. There were three that users expected.

1) Improved DR inline with the 5DIV and 80D.

This is the biggest let down for most as there's absolutely no reason for not doing it. It's their latest camera, the original 6D had better DR than the 5DIII and it was something praised on the 80D and 5DIV.

2) 4K Video

As a 2017 camera this was expected by many. Of course the 5DIV's less than ideal 4K video implementation indicated the 6DII would suffer also, many including me had hoped Canon would swallow their pride and offer it.

3) Dual card slots

This is a bit of a "bonus feature" but one Sony and Nikon don't have an issue putting in $2000 cameras.

The 6DII needed any two of these features in my opinion. The reason they were held back are largely due to the inflated price of the 5DIV. Looking at the $2000 market today, the 5DIV should have been the 6DII.

Sporgon

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2018, 08:47:47 AM »
Since when is the 6DII a professional tool?

The award said 'Expert' - so I suggest you improve your reading skills.

And why would a professional not use it?

One card slot
Poor dynamic range
No auto brightness on rear lcd
Relative light weight
Polycarbonate top plate
Rear screen tilt and swivel
Only 132 AF points
Viewfinder only shows 99% of the picture
Costs less than £3,000
Off chip A/D converter can cause depression with prolonged use
Tony and Chelsea don’t like it
Ken does
Has “6D” written on the front

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 21, 2018, 08:47:47 AM »

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #37 on: April 21, 2018, 12:54:48 PM »
Looking at the $2000 market today, the 5DIV should have been the 6DII.

Except that the 5DIV is a perennial favorite in its class, and sells for a thousand bucks more.

The biggest problem with the 6DII is that there's a chunk of people who didn't want a 6DII at all.  They just wanted a 5DIV for $2,000, and feel entitled to a professional tool for $2,000, because everything that's technology is supposed to get cheaper.

The same group is overjoyed at the A7M3 featureset, because they can go, "For most people the A7iii is virtually identical for a thousand bucks less".  Will A7M3 + A7R3 sales meet Sony's expectations, and change the market such that Canon and Nikon are forced to add more features into a $2000 camera? Or, will it not move the needle much because the $2,000 camera body market is pretty small, and Sony will just screw themselves out of some potential $3,000 camera sales -- and Canon and Nikonn just go about their product differentiation as usual?  Or will a lot of the people who are overjoyed not even be in the market for an "expert" type camera, and just like to grandstand on the Internet?

Only time will tell.

KirkD

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • Invisible Attributes Clearly Seen
« Reply #38 on: April 21, 2018, 02:18:18 PM »
The 6DII was two features short of what it should have been as a $2000 2017 camera. There were three that users expected.

This is the biggest let down for most as there's absolutely no reason for not doing it. It's their latest camera, the original 6D had better DR than the 5DIII and it was something praised on the 80D and 5DIV.

2) 4K Video

As a 2017 camera this was expected by many. Of course the 5DIV's less than ideal 4K video implementation indicated the 6DII would suffer also, many including me had hoped Canon would swallow their pride and offer it.

3) Dual card slots

This is a bit of a "bonus feature" but one Sony and Nikon don't have an issue putting in $2000 cameras.

The 6DII needed any two of these features in my opinion.

Nailed it.

Mikehit

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2018, 06:23:29 AM »

Because it was the most criticised camera of the last decade? It was not a good release for it's price or release year. From a personal perspective, I had saved up for the 6DII in anticipation for it's announcement and then on release I have never been so disappointed. Admittedly I am a 6D user so the reasons to upgrade are almost none.

2) 4K Video

3) Dual card slots

The 6DII needed any two of these features in my opinion. The reason they were held back are largely due to the inflated price of the 5DIV. Looking at the $2000 market today, the 5DIV should have been the 6DII.

And the criticism was by a bunch of trolls who had never used it, who had set their own design specifications and as a result the camera was not what they thought it should have been. That does not stop it being a good camera for making pictures.

klausenrique

• PowerShot SX60 HS
    • 8th Ave Headshots NYC
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2018, 07:39:16 AM »
Why is everyone so shocked about 6D2?

DSLR Professional went to Nikon D850
DSLR Expert went to Canon 6DII

What recent DSLR would you have given those two awards to instead??  Your choices on full frame DSLR releases are rather limited :)

In its defense, the Canon 6DII is an amazing camera, especially for the price, and if I had my money from the purchase back, I'd buy it again, because (1) what better DSLR can I buy at that price point and (2) what other full frame DSLR has an articulating screen?

I wonder what awards other companies received.

http://www.tipa.com/en-en/awards/tipa-world-awards-2018.html

Pentax K-1 or K-1 Mark II are both WAY BETTER cameras than the 6DII... 6DII is an embarrassment...

klausenrique

• PowerShot SX60 HS
    • 8th Ave Headshots NYC
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2018, 07:41:56 AM »
There’s just this weird perception that the 6D II is a bad camera just because everyone expected it to have improved low iso dr.  Even though everyone who actually owns and uses one says it’s excellent.

I don’t get why the interwebz hates on it so much.

Because Canon is the most successful camera company and people love to tear down what is at the top.
Because the techno-geeks only care about new and exciting - and all the review sites are run by techno-geeks.
Because people read the review sites and then act like moronic sheep, mindlessly repeating what the reviewers say.

Or because the 6DII is just a 5DII with an extra 6MP... (+ DP)

BillB

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2018, 07:43:05 AM »

2) 4K Video

3) Dual card slots

I agree that the nerfed  sensor on the 6DII was a shock, but I don't think there was any reason at all to expect 4K video.  At the time, a new fullframe Sony with 4K was selling for $3000, and that was as cheap as it got.  The 4K video frenzy associated with the 6DII release was internet nonsense.  And comparing then to now seems sort of pointless to me

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2018, 07:43:05 AM »

BillB

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2018, 07:52:44 AM »
There’s just this weird perception that the 6D II is a bad camera just because everyone expected it to have improved low iso dr.  Even though everyone who actually owns and uses one says it’s excellent.

I don’t get why the interwebz hates on it so much.

Because Canon is the most successful camera company and people love to tear down what is at the top.
Because the techno-geeks only care about new and exciting - and all the review sites are run by techno-geeks.
Because people read the review sites and then act like moronic sheep, mindlessly repeating what the reviewers say.

Or because the 6DII is just a 5DII with an extra 6MP... (+ DP)

and upgraded AF and Liveview, touchscreen focussing, and a flip screen.

Durf

• EOS Rebel 300D
    • Durf's Journal - Photography Art
« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2018, 11:22:57 AM »

2) 4K Video

3) Dual card slots

I agree that the nerfed  sensor on the 6DII was a shock, but I don't think there was any reason at all to expect 4K video.  At the time, a new fullframe Sony with 4K was selling for $3000, and that was as cheap as it got.  The 4K video frenzy associated with the 6DII release was internet nonsense.  And comparing then to now seems sort of pointless to me

Most of this back and forth internet camera bashing and praising nonsense is pointless if one loves to spend time taking photos more than pixel peeping and upgrading their equipment every few months. They'll enjoy what gear they presently have and come home with great results every time.

....and when one does decide to upgrade from what they are presently using their new camera should be a blast to use regardless of what brand it is or how many card slots, buttons, or pixels it has.

If I dropped and broke my 6DII I'd most likely replace it with another 6DII. It's a great camera and for what I do I get fantastic and amazing images with it.

If I was a pro wedding, portrait, or event shooter I'd most likely be using a 5D4 or something else but then again I'd probably not enjoy photography like I do now having to deal with all the people and pressure that type of professional shooting involves. I shoot to relax and to enjoy the images I get with what I see out in nature.

The only other camera I had my eye on 7 months ago right before I bought the 6D2 was actually the Pentax K1. That was only because I have a large collection of old Takumar and Pentax M Lenses that I love to use.....I've adapted all these old lenses to all my Canon cameras and they work good enough for me on them, so even today I am still very happy with my decision to get the 6D2....(I still wouldn't mind playing with the Pentax K1 with these old Takumar's)!

With this recent 6DII award announced and because I am a 6DII user does that make me an expert now? LOL

« Last Edit: April 22, 2018, 11:25:03 AM by Durf »
6D2 | 80D | T6i | 16-35mm f/4L | 50mm f/1.8 STM | Tamron SP 45mm & 85mm f/1.8  | 100mm f2.8L Macro | 70-300mm IS USM ii | Sigma 150-600mm | 
Pentax K1000 | Vintage Glass: Takumar-Pentax-Helios |
www.DurfsJournal.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: April 22, 2018, 11:22:57 AM »