May 22, 2018, 01:59:49 PM

Author Topic: Industry News: SmugMug Acquires Flickr  (Read 4565 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • Canon Rumors
Industry News: SmugMug Acquires Flickr
« on: April 21, 2018, 01:15:33 PM »

From SmugMug:

We’re excited to announce that Flickr has agreed to be acquired by SmugMug, the photography platform dedicated to visual storytellers.

SmugMug has a long history of empowering people who love photography and who want to improve their craft, making them a perfect fit for Flickr and our creative community. With SmugMug, we’ll continue to focus on you, the Flickr members who inspire us all with your work.

Nothing will change immediately with regard to your Flickr account. You will still access Flickr with your current login credentials and you will have the same Flickr experience as you do now. We will continue to work to make your Flickr experience even better.

We think you are going to love Flickr under SmugMug ownership, but you can choose to not have your Flickr account and data transferred to SmugMug until May 25, 2018. If you want to keep your Flickr account and data from being transferred, you must go to your Flickr account to download the photos and videos you want to keep, then delete your account from your Account Settings by May 25, 2018.

If you do not delete your account by May 25, 2018, your Flickr account and data will transfer to SmugMug and will be governed by SmugMug’s Terms and Privacy Policy.

Read more detailed FAQs about this transition on the Flickr Blog.

We’re happy that Flickr is your home for photography and we look forward to the next chapter in our adventure together as we join the SmugMug family.

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Industry News: SmugMug Acquires Flickr
« on: April 21, 2018, 01:15:33 PM »

Frodo

• EOS M5
Re: Industry News: SmugMug Acquires Flickr
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2018, 03:13:18 PM »
"Nothing will change immediately with regard to your Flickr account"

Yeah, right!

After using Photobucket, Picasaweb, and Google, which have either been killed or starved, (and Irista which is unimpressive), I am cynical about this statement.
The only way forward that I see is hosting through your own website. Ironically, I am almost finished a Squarespace site after considering Smugmug.
If gear matters: 5DsR, 6D, M3, Samyang 14/2.8, EF 24-105/4, EF 35/2.0IS, EF 50/2.5 macro, EF 85/1.8, EF 200/2.8II, EF 400/5.6, EF-M 11-22/4-5.6, EF-M 18-55/3.5-5.6, EF-M 55-200/4.5-6.3, Ext 1.4x, Lifesize conv, Ext tube EF25, 270EX, Godox XPro-C, TT685-C and TT600

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2018, 03:51:20 PM »
I wonder what this means for Flickr Pro users?
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

ethanz

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • 1DX II
    • my website
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2018, 04:27:35 PM »
I really like my SmugMug site. It's not really a surprise that yahoo got rid of flicker.
1DX II, 16-35L f/4 IS, 24-70L f/2.8 II, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 200-400L f/4 IS w/1.4 EXT
http://ethanzentz.com/

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2018, 12:19:08 AM »
I really like my SmugMug site. It's not really a surprise that yahoo got rid of flicker.

It was expected after Verizon bought them.  Verizon has no interest in running a photography site, so its good that they will be owned by people who do like photography.  What it means for Flickr users in the long run is not revealed, I'd expect very little to change in the next year or two, it takes that long to implement major changes.  We might see minor changes like SmugMug being added to the web pages.

DJL329

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2018, 02:02:56 PM »

According to their FAQ page, nothing will change.  At least, not yet.

https://www.smugmug.com/together/faq

Will anything happen to my photos? Will they be moved?

No, you’ll still be able to access your photos as you do currently and they’ll retain the same Flickr or SmugMug URL as always. Over time, we’ll be migrating Flickr onto SmugMug’s technology infrastructure, and your Flickr photos will move as a part of this migration—but the photos themselves will remain on Flickr.

Will Flickr continue to offer a free version? Will Flickr’s price change?

Absolutely. Flickr’s free accounts are foundational to its community of influential and engaged photographers. We are not making any changes to Flickr plans or rates at this time. We’ll let Flickr Pro customers know if that changes.

Will my Flickr Pro subscription change?

Nope! You’ll remain a Flickr Pro member and continue to enjoy all the benefits of a Pro membership.
Canon 5D Mark IV | 14mm f/2.8L | 16-35mm f/4L IS | 24mm f/2.8 IS | 50mm f/1.4 | 85mm f/1.8 | 100mm f/2.8L IS | 200mm f/2.8L II | 400mm f/4 DO IS II

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 02:05:24 PM »
We’ll let Flickr Pro customers know if that changes.

I suspect they mean 'when'.
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2018, 02:05:24 PM »

Frodo

• EOS M5
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 02:20:58 PM »
We’ll let Flickr Pro customers know if that changes.

I suspect they mean 'when'.

Exactly!
That's why I'll get out.

Does anyone have experience of using Squarespace for photohosting, like you would do with a site like Flickr? I have purchased a Squarespace business account and it seems like I can have up to 1000 pages, which presumably includes 1 gallery per page, with 250 photos per gallery.  I have not been able to find a total storage limit like Flickr's 1TB.
If gear matters: 5DsR, 6D, M3, Samyang 14/2.8, EF 24-105/4, EF 35/2.0IS, EF 50/2.5 macro, EF 85/1.8, EF 200/2.8II, EF 400/5.6, EF-M 11-22/4-5.6, EF-M 18-55/3.5-5.6, EF-M 55-200/4.5-6.3, Ext 1.4x, Lifesize conv, Ext tube EF25, 270EX, Godox XPro-C, TT685-C and TT600

AvTvM

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2018, 04:00:03 PM »
STRIKE! I like. flickr has deserved corporate death 1000x over. f' em. Not listening to their users/customers. Just love it when stupid companies fail and/or are gobbled up.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flickr

Smugmug won't win me over either, though. Will never post my own images under other people's rules and censorship. 

JMZawodny

• EOS 6D Mark II
  • 1Dx2, 7D2 and lots of wonderful glass!
    • JMZawodny Observations
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2018, 07:26:59 PM »

Well for me, it means I deleted my account yesterday.  I wish Flickr had remained an independent entity and that Yahoo! (Marissa Mayer) had never bought them.  It went downhill from that moment onward.
When you are right you are the teacher, when you are wrong you are the student. A win-win scenario if ever there was one.

LDS

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 03:36:23 AM »
I wish Flickr had remained an independent entity and that Yahoo! (Marissa Mayer) had never bought them.  It went downhill from that moment onward.

Mayer came to Yahoo only in 2012 - Flickr was acquired in 2005, and paid a fraction of what later companies like Instagram would have been bough for.

Staying independent means to be able to generate profits - and these business models rarely do - the only path being trying to sell user data to advertisers.

Hillsilly

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 04:01:12 AM »
I'm curious what this might mean for Smugmug users.  It would be great if they can integrate more of the community aspects of Flickr.
Camera Obscura

Hector1970

• EOS 5DS R
    • Flickr
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 08:54:50 AM »
Not sure how they will resurrect Flickr.
I'm a long time user with a Pro account but it's been a dying site for years.
It was a handy internet storage spot for me.
It's interesting the new owner doesn't know what he going to do with it and is going to listen to its customers.
As a customer I can tell him that I haven't a clue what he should do with it.
The user community on it is more or less dead.
The whole Explore thing became sort of random whether your picture got on it or not.
It was the only fun bit of it as you got to get some feedback on photos or thousands of view suddenly.
The groups got swamped with stupid groups and stupid copy and paste awards.
It almost needed an independent human input into showcasing the best of Flickr but its all so subjective its hard to do.
A slow death I predict, Smug Mug won't be able to carry it for long. The storage costs must be big. There are billions of photos on Flickr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2018, 08:54:50 AM »

cayenne

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 09:51:06 AM »
Just curious about the seemingly negative reactions to anything SmugMug....

Can someone give me some insight to potential negative things about SmugMug?

I've been considering setting up a commercial site through them to see if I can sell some images/wall art.

I'd not heard anything negative about them before, and while researching between SmugMug and Zenfolio, I'd just about decided on SmugMug for features, etc.

Anyway, I'd be interested in why many of you pros seem to be feeling a bit negative towards SmugMug.  Is it service? Price? Policies?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

ethanz

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • 1DX II
    • my website
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 10:30:31 AM »
Just curious about the seemingly negative reactions to anything SmugMug....

Can someone give me some insight to potential negative things about SmugMug?

I've been considering setting up a commercial site through them to see if I can sell some images/wall art.

I'd not heard anything negative about them before, and while researching between SmugMug and Zenfolio, I'd just about decided on SmugMug for features, etc.

Anyway, I'd be interested in why many of you pros seem to be feeling a bit negative towards SmugMug.  Is it service? Price? Policies?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

I'm curious about the same thing. I've had a great experience with Smugmug. Their features are great.
1DX II, 16-35L f/4 IS, 24-70L f/2.8 II, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 200-400L f/4 IS w/1.4 EXT
http://ethanzentz.com/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2018, 10:30:31 AM »