May 21, 2018, 03:29:39 AM

Author Topic: Adobe Apologizes for Bugs in Lightroom Classic CC, Releases Update  (Read 4917 times)

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
Re: Adobe Apologizes for Bugs in Lightroom Classic CC, Releases Update
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2018, 07:28:10 PM »
I can't even try GPU acceleration.  I built my PC in 2013, and the video card that I got at the time was good but not top of the line.  When Adobe LR first used GPU acceleration, LR would crash every few minutes.  Even though my card was listed to be compatible with LR GPU acceleration at the time, I could never get it to work properly, so I just disabled the feature, and it's been off for years.  Looking forward to building a new PC later this year that will bring me back to state-of-the-art standards/components.  My computer definitely became less stable at the end of last year, after hardware vulnerabilities were discovered and I assumed patched through software...

If it makes you feel any better, you're probably not missing out on anything.  Well, other than losing 5 hours trying to figure out if it is actually any faster and then 5 more hours trying to figure out if it's worth all the weird crap that happens before unchecking the box ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2018, 07:28:10 PM »

Ladislav

• EOS M5
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2018, 07:45:42 PM »
Then again, I have no idea how the 3D video card can be helpful in LR.  In the past, I couldn't really see any noticeable gain by turning GPU acceleration on.  Ironically, the latest patch fixed the GPU weirdness.  But.... It doesn't feel any faster than with GPU acceleration turned off, so who knows.  LOL.  ::)

It is not using 3D capability. It is using processing power of modern GPUs and computes some tools / effects on GPU instead of CPU. Just quick search came with this result about what is supposedly accelerated and what is not.
https://photographylife.com/gpu-acceleration-in-lightroom

I previously read that GPU acceleration really matters only on 4k+ screens but at the same time many people are complaining that after turning it off some operations became terribly slow even without 4k screen - for example zooming in development module. That probably depends on the CPU processing power - especially single core processing power.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2018, 07:47:48 PM by Ladislav »
5D4 | 6D | 16-35 | 24-70 | 70-200 | 70-300 | 150-600 | 17 TS | 24 TS | 50 | 100 Macro | 430 EX II

YuengLinger

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2018, 08:53:17 PM »
Perhaps a genuine expression of goodwill from Adobe would be a new version that allows use of the editing software without any catalog.  The scariest of the recent bugs is the catalog corruption.

What does deserve loathing, in my opinion, is Adobe's implied impending termination of "allowing" images to be stored locally on a user's desktop.  Naming the desktop/laptop version of Lightroom "Classic," seems a shot across the bow, suggesting those of us who don't want to use cloud storage are anachronisms.

I'm ok with a subscription based payment scheme.  Fine.  But pressuring photographers to move images to the cloud or see an end to functionality and upgrades would be a bridge too far.  I don't understand what motive, other than keeping cloud stored files as hostages, a company could have for heading in such a direction.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 05:47:43 AM by YuengLinger »

Quarkcharmed

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2018, 12:41:55 AM »
It's ok, S____ happens, it's good they fixed it fast enough.

However, before the latest update or after, LR CC is till freakingly slow. It's been slow for last couple of years or so, and performance improvements and fixes they made didn't really help. That's what I'm angry about.
Canon 5D MkIV, EF 24-70 f2.8L II, EF 16-32 f4L IS, EF 70-200 f2.8L II IS, EF 50 f1.8 STM

LDS

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2018, 04:18:00 AM »
Expect this to be a problem of the subscription model for a while. Companies feel the need to release something to justify the model, and also to skimp on QA to save money - more frequent releases usually *increase* QA needs.

You see this effect outside Adobe as well. There is a reason, for example, why Microsoft releases new upgrades to Windows 10 to determined group of users first and others later.

My advice is not to run to install the latest update, unless you know it fixes a blocking issue for you. Wait for a while to see what issues are found.

cayenne

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2018, 09:19:42 AM »
Hmm.....you might consider giving On1 RAW a try as an alternative.
- No rental model, and very reasonably priced
- Regular meaningful update
- So far, no updates that break your system or slow it down
- No forced upgrades
- Use a catalog or don't, its up to you
- No perceived moves to have you store your content on the cloud rather than locally.

So far, so good for me at least......

Random Orbits

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2018, 02:45:44 PM »
Perhaps a genuine expression of goodwill from Adobe would be a new version that allows use of the editing software without any catalog.  The scariest of the recent bugs is the catalog corruption.

What does deserve loathing, in my opinion, is Adobe's implied impending termination of "allowing" images to be stored locally on a user's desktop.  Naming the desktop/laptop version of Lightroom "Classic," seems a shot across the bow, suggesting those of us who don't want to use cloud storage are anachronisms.

I'm ok with a subscription based payment scheme.  Fine.  But pressuring photographers to move images to the cloud or see an end to functionality and upgrades would be a bridge too far.  I don't understand what motive, other than keeping cloud stored files as hostages, a company could have for heading in such a direction.

I see value in a cloud-based model for those that travel to well-connected spots or for multiple people to work on a file from different locations (in the field and at the home office).  Unfortunately, I don't travel that much so the feature does not appeal to me.  And the biggest trips the last couple years have to been to national parks, which have horrid to no internet/cell phone connectivity.  And yes, naming it LR Classic is clunky/bad marketing...  It would have been better if they kept the original LightRoom name and called the new product LightRoom Cloud.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2018, 02:45:44 PM »

Otara

• EOS M5
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2018, 05:47:34 PM »
The cloud issue isnt really a problem as long as they have to charge for online storage - as soon as you try to copy pictures and they tell you that it cant be uploaded till you make room or pay more, thats a customer gone.

They can try to convince people to use it, but actually stopping local storage as an additional backup would be a whole different story.  I dont have any concerns about 'cloud only' being compulsory any time soon.

coldmist

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2018, 11:36:29 PM »
Adobe still hasn't fixed the bug since Classic CC's launch that allows some people with a perpetual license for Lightroom 6 to upgrade to a "perpetual" Classic CC which shouldn't even be possible. Doing that leads to a screwed up install that functions but numerous things are totally broken or missing.

Some people have updated from Lightroom 6 without realizing they're not supposed to be able to and it's been going on for 6 months now.
6D, 24mm f/2.8 IS, 35mm f/2 IS, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8

scottkinfw

• EOS 5DS R
  • Wildlife photography is my passion
    • www.kasden.smug.com
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2018, 01:06:57 AM »

Given the option of cloud storage only or leave, I'll leave.

Scott
Cameras: 1DXII,5D III, 5D II.  Lenses    24-70 2.8L II IS, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8.   Flashes: 600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT, 580 EX II.
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

LDS

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2018, 02:14:23 AM »
I don't understand what motive, other than keeping cloud stored files as hostages, a company could have for heading in such a direction.

The same Google and Facebook have. User data processing and reselling for 'marketing' (for many different meaning of 'marketing') targeting. There's a lot of data actual 'AI' technologies can extract from photos. They need you to give them, though....

Quirkz

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2018, 02:11:43 AM »
I don't understand what motive, other than keeping cloud stored files as hostages, a company could have for heading in such a direction.

The same Google and Facebook have. User data processing and reselling for 'marketing' (for many different meaning of 'marketing') targeting. There's a lot of data actual 'AI' technologies can extract from photos. They need you to give them, though....

It’s more than that. To some of us, it’s a really useful feature.  I transfer photos on my desktop Mac, later pick up where I left off on my laptop, and finally it’s great to review on my iPad, or share photos with family while sitting around the kitchen table. Seamless experience, no matter what device I use.

They’re moving in a direction of a new market that is opening up.  Many of you don’t like the change, and that’s ok.  I’m one of the other crowd that really likes some of what they’ve done.  Time will tell whether they were right in this move, but looking at their currently increasing subscription base, they are doing what most of their customers want.

To be fair, there’s a lot about the new Lightroom I strongly dislike, and even the cloud features could be improved In significant ways.  But they’re heading in a direction on offering a service where there is no competition. Pretty smart move.

BeenThere

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2018, 07:23:52 AM »
 A few terabytes of cloud storage is going to double or triple monthly subscription costs. No thanks! 🤦‍♂️

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2018, 07:23:52 AM »

LDS

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2018, 12:47:48 PM »
It’s more than that. To some of us, it’s a really useful feature.  I transfer photos on my desktop Mac, later pick up where I left off on my laptop, and finally it’s great to review on my iPad, or share photos with family while sitting around the kitchen table. Seamless experience, no matter what device I use.

That's one of the baits to get the photos. Client/server applications has been common in the past 25 years at least, when servers and their software became cheap enough. You don't really need a "cloud" for that. You just need the "server" part. Other sectors where teamwork is very important have been working across people and devices for years, well before the "cloud".

Adobe has and is strengthening a big "marketing" business - it has also a convention like Adobe Summit dedicated to that, and "marketing" today means profiling consumers and targeting them.

Why Microsoft too turned Windows 10 into a huge data gathering software? Just look at Facebook and Google revenues and profits. Others want a slice of the cake too, Adobe included, especially now there's the technology to extract useful information from images at relatively cheap costs.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2018, 12:47:48 PM »