July 29, 2014, 08:37:14 PM

Author Topic: *BUSTED* 5D Mark III & 5D X Specs?  (Read 16883 times)

windscmoon

Re: *BUSTED* 5D Mark III & 5D X Specs?
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2012, 06:28:05 PM »
Hum,I just wanna say,as a canon fan from China ,I read every piece of news about the successor of 5d2 at Chinese websites for 2 years.What I should say is every (yes,I said every)news was copyed and translated from aboard.Our webs do not have any source can bring us fresh and independent news. So do not trust them.I rank this for CR0.
Haha, well said! What's ur id in xitek?

I am a member of xitek.but rare to reply or post on that board.just read.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2012, 06:28:05 PM »

jdavis37

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2012, 09:20:06 PM »
The D800 departs somewhat in that is has 36+ MP versus the D4's 16 but shares many other things. If it could deliver 6 fps I might be giving it some thought though I don't have to have that many MP's.

It does. It is 4fps in FF mode. 5fps in 1.2x crop mode. And, with grip, 6fps in DX 1.5x crop mode.

Not exactly what I meant but worth noting :) I'll watch both the D800 and whatever body or bodies Canon coes out with interest. The D800 certainly has enough pixels to make the crop aspects of telephoto work. But I'll need to see clean ISO1600 shots with feather detail before I believe it! While a 22MP FF sensor will be lacking in pixel density (assuming that rumor is true though I have a hard time believing Canon will essentially not be adding any pixels ) I can get bigger glass if need be especially if the higher ISO ( meaning ISO1600.. with my 7D and birds I rarely go above ISO400 ). It wil be interesting.. but if the rumors suggesting it will have the 1D-X AF, 22 MP and 6.9 fps are true, did Canon just do the D700 to itself? Unless you really NEED 12 fps why not buy the 5D in that case for less than half the price? Just not seeing Canon suddenly pulling a Nikon. Even Nikon this time did not pull a Nikon ( D700 versus D800)! If they do, however, I'll be very inclined to buy one! Especially if I can spot meter using any Af sensor location!

pj1974

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • A selection of my photos (copyright)
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2012, 10:47:48 PM »
Hi friends,

I have been following various discussions of a possible'new' FF (eg 5DX/5DIII/5Ds/3D) on these forums and in other places for some time, and have found it interesting seeing the various opinions and speculations presented.

Amidst all the 'information and rumour' overload... there have been a few posts in this particular thread that I think are particularly logical - and applause duly given to those   8)

I do not think Canon will be going down the route of developing and selling 2 cameras under the 5D line. I think their branding department want to maintain an emphasis on different camera names with an intended target market.

So I believe there might be a 3D in some of the rumours / information we've seen floating over the last while.  I believe a 3D will be marketed as a camera that can do anything a 5D can do, but somewhat better in every regard.

In this post, I provide my take (in summary) on what could constitute the whole of a future Canon lineup, under the APS-C and FF tiers / sensor size categories. I'm predicting the next model of each camera body / line, except for the 1DX which hasn't hit the shelves yet. Within my list, I'll provide my take on the possible equivalent of a 5DmkII replacement, which I'm calling the 5DmkIII, though it could also be called the 5DX (same for the possibility of a '7DX').  I have given a name to each line ('in brackets'), that I think defines the branding strategy and focus Canon has had for each line over recent years.

I'm not including all features of each camera- even though I might have a projection and guess for these.  That is I won't list the following in my comparisons below: display size / resolution / type, ISO range, exposure or metering details, live view, video details, memory type, CPU # or type/s, flash details, body size.

Note that comparisons between APS-C and FF should not be made.  People who do not understand the real differences between APS-C and FF cameras / sensor sizes will consider APS-C to be 'non pro' and FF to be 'pro'.   ::)

Read from the top down to make sense of the list.  That is, comparisons of 'better' / 'more', etc refer to the model directly above. In general, the handling and features of the respective bodies will get progressively superior in each tier (APS-C and FF) - which can be noted by aspects such as (any) weather sealing, quality of optical view finder (OVF), buttons, features and customisation.

APS-C
- 1200D ('budget')  12MP 3fps. Basic 9pt AF & budget sensor. Smallest body & OVF.
- 650D ('consumer') 18MP 4fps. 9pt with cross-type & better sensor. Better display & OVF.
- 70D ('amateur') 18MP 6fps. 9pt AF with more cross-type AF pts. Better body & OVF.
- 7DmkII ('prosumer') 22MP 8fps. 19pt AF, cross-type AF pts. Best APS-C body & OVF.

FF
- 5DmkIII ('enthusiast')  26MP 5fps. 19pt AF downgraded 7D AF, A few cross-type AF pts.
- 3D ('premium') 34MP 8fps. 45 AF, many cross-type and extra sensitivity AF pts. Better body.
- 1DX ('professional') 18MP 14fps. 61AF. Full professional body. Highest connectivity and feature set.

The main marketed differentiation between the 5D line and the 3D line will be on the sensor, with the focus for the 5D line being on low noise and great DR, whereas the 3D marketing focus will emphasize resolution, advanced features and body quality. Both 5D line and 3D line will require a separate grip. The most difficult name to attribute to any of these cameras, was the (hypothetical) 3D...  I had also considered the following words "advanced / elite / deluxe / superior / expert / high-end" before deciding on 'premium'.   ;D

I expect the eventual (street) price of the 5DMkIII will be about $3,000 Euro / AUD / USD or about 2000 GBP, though the initial RRP might be a bit higher.
In comparison, if a 3D line does come out, I expect it to have a price of about $5,000 Euro / AUD / USD or about 3500 GBP, again though - the initial RRP might be a bit higher.
The 1DX has been marketed as the 'super fast, powerful AF' that photo-journalists and professional sports photographers demand, with connectivity options indicating a 'on the fly' environment for the target market. The 1DX's sensor will probably be Canon's lowest noise / highest dynamic range sensor for some time - given the relatively low MP for a FF.

FYI, I have the Canon 7D and 350D camera bodies, and a number of lenses, including the 15-85mm USM IS, 70-300mm L USM IS, 100mm USM macro and Sigma 10-20mm HSM EX. In my humble opinion, the number of quality Canon EF-S lenses (eg 17-55mm, 10-22mm, 15-85mm, 60mm macro) indicates their commitment to continue developing and producing the 'amateur' and 'prosumer' camera body lines for some time yet, with APS-C sensors continuing to offer a broad spectrum of photographers a good balance in terms of flexibility, quality and size. The APS-C tier fits between P&S / mirrorless cameras and FF.

My take on the future above, is purely derived from a personal analytical perspective. I have a marketing degree and working background, but have no insider knowledge from Canon. I don't believe that we'll see the return of APS-H sensors. Part of what I've written above might be hypothetical, but I'll be curious to see in the future how many of these I got 'close' or even 'spot on'!  ;)

I look forward to your comments.

Paul
I'm not a brand-fanatic. What I do appreciate is using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

spidyhero

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2012, 05:31:23 AM »

FF
- 5DmkIII ('enthusiast')  26MP 5fps. 19pt AF downgraded 7D AF, A few cross-type AF pts.
- 3D ('premium') 34MP 8fps. 45 AF, many cross-type and extra sensitivity AF pts. Better body.
- 1DX ('professional') 18MP 14fps. 61AF. Full professional body. Highest connectivity and feature set.

The main marketed differentiation between the 5D line and the 3D line will be on the sensor, with the focus for the 5D line being on low noise and great DR, whereas the 3D marketing focus will emphasize resolution, advanced features and body quality.

Paul

Reasoning on market segment, IMHO the 5DIII should lure those that own the 5DII (they are a nice segment in dimension), making them update to the newer, as much as those looking for an all around professional camera  less expensive than the 1DX.

The high framerate on a high resolution sensor camera has a reason if you don't split the line (as Nikon is doing with the D800).

If Canon is planning to split the 5D line, the high framerate should go to the lower-res camera (as a feature for general purpose shooter).

The high-res camera should be addressed to studio professionals or resolution addicted amateurs (they don't see high framerate as a big selling point) and bring a higher cost in comparison.

If you also take account of what the video enthusiasts are expecting, they don't need a higher megapixel camera, but a better Dynamic Range sensor for sure (as much as some video oriented new features).

So if you push on the DR feature, you must lower the pixel count and increase pixel dimension.

Canon can do the split since it is a mammoth company with a huge R&D dept. in comparison to Nikon (using Sony made sensors on proprietary specs), and it also makes sense on a usage-driven market segment (photo vs. video).

This is only speculation, of course, keep it with a grain of salt because we don't know all the photo-video Canon market numbers.

But also keep for sure that if a disruptive innovation has to be made for a product (the Canon 5D), it should be Canon itself to do it, because it opens new markets, don't cannibalize the existing one (think to the Apple iPhone 's new models development path).

jdavis37

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2012, 10:20:18 AM »

APS-C
- 1200D ('budget')  12MP 3fps. Basic 9pt AF & budget sensor. Smallest body & OVF.
- 650D ('consumer') 18MP 4fps. 9pt with cross-type & better sensor. Better display & OVF.
- 70D ('amateur') 18MP 6fps. 9pt AF with more cross-type AF pts. Better body & OVF.
- 7DmkII ('prosumer') 22MP 8fps. 19pt AF, cross-type AF pts. Best APS-C body & OVF.

FF

If the 5DMkIII is as you suggest it would match Canon's marketing from the past quite well. Let's compare what $3K brings us:

Nikon D800 - 36.3 MP, 4 fps ( up to 6 fps in DX mode), Nikon's best AF, fully sealed
Proposed 5D3 - 26 MP, AF inferior to even 7D's, and 5 fps

Now unless Canon does something magical with their sensor (something they have not done in some time now ) WHY would the average person buy the Canon except for already owning Canon glass? I've shot Canon gear since 1980 but am not a loyalist nor do I jump camps at a whim (obviously).

At some point though Canon has to step up and at least TRY to match what Nikon is doing, or at least come close to matching them.

I am at an end with buying crop sensors (currently using 7D,,, good camera, like it, but noise above ISO400 is tough on bird feathers ). I'm ok with buying bigger glass to replace the crop. But there is no way I would pay $3K to have an AF worse than my 7D.

This is like ESPN's "Come On MAAN" routine.

I prefer the rumors of a 1D MkIV AF or slightly dumbed down 1D-X Af, 5 to 6 fps and 22 MP for the next 5D. But I fear they will deliver something closer to what Paul is suggesting here. I also hope the rumors of the 1D-X MAYBE adding F8 Af ability is true. D800 and D4 both offer that.

Will be interesting to see if Canon steps up or if they continue to preserve the flagship at all costs, avoiding what Nikon did with the D3/D700 ( where D700 was a much cheaper option, add grip and almost a D3).

But Canon continues to do their marketing as they have and perhaps A D4+ 200-400F4 + 1.7X TC is an option.. hate to suggest it but who knows.

briansquibb

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2012, 10:25:37 AM »

Cant see them developing an inferior AF wihen they already have the 45 point 1d4/1ds3 AF sitting in the parts bin waiting to be fitted

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2012, 10:27:28 AM »

(...)

(...)WHY would the average person buy the Canon except for already owning Canon glass? (...)

This is NOT gear for average person. It's enough that pictures will lok better on Canon and those who know what and why they spend theit money will not look for rough numbers from specification.
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2012, 10:27:28 AM »

DzPhotography

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2012, 01:46:31 PM »
Just one question. Why are the specs striked through? Because they're not believable nor correct?
EOS 550D | EOS 7D | EOS 6D | EOS 1Dx | EF-S 15-85 | EF 28f2.8 | EF 30f2.0 | EF 40f2.8 | EF 50f1.8II | EF 16-35f2.8L MkII | EF 24-105 f4L | EF 24-70f2.8L | EF 70-200f2.8L MkII | Sigma 10f2.8 Fisheye | Sigma 50f1.4 | Tamron 17-50f2.8VC | Tokina 11-16f2.8 | 430EXII | 580EXII

JoeBoe19

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2012, 01:48:38 PM »
Just one question. Why are the specs striked through? Because they're not believable nor correct?

good question - it makes it look like they have been deemed completely impossible.

pj1974

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2012, 06:19:24 PM »

FF

If the 5DMkIII is as you suggest it would match Canon's marketing from the past quite well. Let's compare what $3K brings us:

Nikon D800 - 36.3 MP, 4 fps ( up to 6 fps in DX mode), Nikon's best AF, fully sealed
Proposed 5D3 - 26 MP, AF inferior to even 7D's, and 5 fps

Now unless Canon does something magical with their sensor (something they have not done in some time now ) WHY would the average person buy the Canon except for already owning Canon glass? I've shot Canon gear since 1980 but am not a loyalist nor do I jump camps at a whim (obviously).

At some point though Canon has to step up and at least TRY to match what Nikon is doing, or at least come close to matching them.

I am at an end with buying crop sensors (currently using 7D,,, good camera, like it, but noise above ISO400 is tough on bird feathers ). I'm ok with buying bigger glass to replace the crop. But there is no way I would pay $3K to have an AF worse than my 7D.

This is like ESPN's "Come On MAAN" routine.

I prefer the rumors of a 1D MkIV AF or slightly dumbed down 1D-X Af, 5 to 6 fps and 22 MP for the next 5D. But I fear they will deliver something closer to what Paul is suggesting here. I also hope the rumors of the 1D-X MAYBE adding F8 Af ability is true. D800 and D4 both offer that.

Will be interesting to see if Canon steps up or if they continue to preserve the flagship at all costs, avoiding what Nikon did with the D3/D700 ( where D700 was a much cheaper option, add grip and almost a D3).

But Canon continues to do their marketing as they have and perhaps A D4+ 200-400F4 + 1.7X TC is an option.. hate to suggest it but who knows.

Thanks jdavis37 for your reply and thoughts.

I agree with you, that the Nikon D800 offers a lot of bang for the buck, and on paper it appears to be an impressive camera. With the 5DmkIII (or whatever the 5DmkII successor will be called), I think Canon will be targetting a lot of those already with Canon glass - and many of these will have significant glass already.  So if the price of 5DmkIII and D800 are close, I think they are going to differentiate on 'you're with us already' - not expecting many people to switch because they have lenses they don't want to part with, and a system that 'works' for the photographer already.

Perhaps Canon will have a sensor in the 5DmkIII that will be very good in terms of low (clean) noise at all ISOs, high DR and is very sharp per pixel definition, and they'll be encouraging people to either upgrade from APS-C or 5D / 5DmkII. If Canon do go the '5D line and 3D line' for FF below the 1D line, I think they'll 'aim' the 5D just below Nikon's D800, and the 3D significantly above the D800 (even if the prices don't fully reflect that). Canon will have done their research on that, and my understanding is that they make most of their profits and 'gain customers' via the APS-C cameras, first... then migrating them up to FF.

I find the 7D's AF to be very good for what it is.  The flexibility of the cross-type AF points location (for composition) and working well (ie focussing reliably and accurately), even in relatively dim light I'm happy with. Obviously I'd like to have a superior system (eg ability to focus in even lower light, perhaps even quicker AF response), but I think it is very powerful - and I've seen many experienced photographers really like it for action shots (eg sports, birds in flight, etc). The 7D noise is certainly an area they can improve on (and I hope they do for the 7DmkII).  Though for critical applications I select as low an ISO as I can, and post processing does often remove noise while preserving decent detail well - though of course not at the higher end ISOs.

The 3D I think will be aimed at those who need more speed and better AF than the 5DmkIII, whereas the 5DmkIII will have better AF than the 5DmkII, and be aimed at the 'more budget conscious studio / landscape photographer' after very high image quality, without getting anywhere near the $5k for 'just the body'. Similarly to the APS-C lines of cameras, I think any 3D will be developed to 'do everything better than the 5D line' - just as the 7D does everything better than the 60D, and in turn the 60D currently do everything better than the 600D (build quality, AF, features, etc).  The sensor is the minor differentiation here.  The Canon 200-400mm with built in 1.4 TC will be a lens that many with the 3D will 'want'. I do think it's a 'shame' the 1DX doesn't have AF f8 capability, and not sure if Canon is perhaps looking to change this via another FF that can AF @ F8, or via firmware.

jdavis37, I hope that Canon will surprise us with their next release of camera bodies. In many aspects, Nikon has upped the ante in recent years, though I still prefer Canon's bodies, colours and definitely most lenses (and lens breadth / quality, though of course both have many very good lenses). Let's see where this goes. I'm still very keenly looking forward to the image quality that is going to come from the FF 1DX 18MP.... hoping that it is something of a huge revolution in image quality - ie out of this world even compared to the 5DmkIII.  Not that I am planning to buy that camera..... even though I have currently the 'spare funds to'.

But I do believe Canon have seen what Sony's sensors have been like, and in response Canon has been doing a lot of work (R&D) on their sensors, that hopefully will trickle through as improvements in quality to all their next released models.

Regards....

Paul
I'm not a brand-fanatic. What I do appreciate is using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

pj1974

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2012, 06:31:56 PM »

Cant see them developing an inferior AF wihen they already have the 45 point 1d4/1ds3 AF sitting in the parts bin waiting to be fitted

Hi Brian, thanks for your post also.  :)

Yes, I can definitely see where you're coming from, that it might seem better to use an existing / working AF system rather than 'dumb down' say the existing 7D AF.

My post above was speculation, however I do see a gap between the 5DmkII and the 1DX that 'needs' to be filled by something like what I've proposed above might be the specs of a 3D, which uses a good working 45pt AF system similar (or exactly the same as) the previous 1D4/1Ds3.  I just don't see the 5D line inheriting that (at least not 'yet').

And as I've seen Canon do quite successfully in the APS-C lines, that is: have a range - ie 4 (!)  differently developed AF sensors, which also seems 'inefficient' from a R&D perspective, but they have that. Although I'm reasonably technically competitent, I am not a electronic engineer (I've got a marketing degree instead)- thus I'm not sure the development costs (to dumb down a 7D or 'invent' another AF system all together for the 5DmkIII).  I just think Canon are trying to win points and market share by having a 'range to suit every person' - and also clearer reasons to attempt to tempt people up to the next line or tiers of camera.

But who knows... you could very well be right (and if so, well done!).  Time will tell... and hopefully we'll know before too long.   8)

Cheers!

Paul

psolberg

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2012, 08:34:03 PM »
The D800 departs somewhat in that is has 36+ MP versus the D4's 16 but shares many other things. If it could deliver 6 fps I might be giving it some thought though I don't have to have that many MP's.

It does. It is 4fps in FF mode. 5fps in 1.2x crop mode. And, with grip, 6fps in DX 1.5x crop mode.

Not exactly what I meant but worth noting :) I'll watch both the D800 and whatever body or bodies Canon coes out with interest. The D800 certainly has enough pixels to make the crop aspects of telephoto work. But I'll need to see clean ISO1600 shots with feather detail before I believe it! While a 22MP FF sensor will be lacking in pixel density (assuming that rumor is true though I have a hard time believing Canon will essentially not be adding any pixels ) I can get bigger glass if need be especially if the higher ISO ( meaning ISO1600.. with my 7D and birds I rarely go above ISO400 ). It wil be interesting.. but if the rumors suggesting it will have the 1D-X AF, 22 MP and 6.9 fps are true, did Canon just do the D700 to itself? Unless you really NEED 12 fps why not buy the 5D in that case for less than half the price? Just not seeing Canon suddenly pulling a Nikon. Even Nikon this time did not pull a Nikon ( D700 versus D800)! If they do, however, I'll be very inclined to buy one! Especially if I can spot meter using any Af sensor location!

I think if nikon wanted to make a fast camera for high iso, they would have named it D4....oh wait...they did.
point being, the D800 isn't about what you seem to think it should be. would you buy a 5DII because of its speed and AF prowess? The D800 is more of a new line and not a D700 successor which was an 8FPS, 51 pro-AF speed demon. totally different markets.

scokar

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2012, 01:28:02 AM »
1st one to offer a "D4 junior", or "1DX junior"  gets my money.   

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2012, 01:28:02 AM »

pj1974

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2012, 05:35:23 AM »

FF

The main marketed differentiation between the 5D line and the 3D line will be on the sensor, with the focus for the 5D line being on low noise and great DR, whereas the 3D marketing focus will emphasize resolution, advanced features and body quality.

Paul

Reasoning on market segment, IMHO the 5DIII should lure those that own the 5DII (they are a nice segment in dimension), making them update to the newer, as much as those looking for an all around professional camera  less expensive than the 1DX.

The high framerate on a high resolution sensor camera has a reason if you don't split the line (as Nikon is doing with the D800).

If Canon is planning to split the 5D line, the high framerate should go to the lower-res camera (as a feature for general purpose shooter).

The high-res camera should be addressed to studio professionals or resolution addicted amateurs (they don't see high framerate as a big selling point) and bring a higher cost in comparison.

If you also take account of what the video enthusiasts are expecting, they don't need a higher megapixel camera, but a better Dynamic Range sensor for sure (as much as some video oriented new features).

So if you push on the DR feature, you must lower the pixel count and increase pixel dimension.

Canon can do the split since it is a mammoth company with a huge R&D dept. in comparison to Nikon (using Sony made sensors on proprietary specs), and it also makes sense on a usage-driven market segment (photo vs. video).

This is only speculation, of course, keep it with a grain of salt because we don't know all the photo-video Canon market numbers.

But also keep for sure that if a disruptive innovation has to be made for a product (the Canon 5D), it should be Canon itself to do it, because it opens new markets, don't cannibalize the existing one (think to the Apple iPhone 's new models development path).

Hi spideyhero

Also thanks for your comments above, replying to my initial post in this thread.

I can see the logic, of splitting the FF under the 1DX by having both:
1) a 'high resolution / slower fps' camera (studio / landscape) and
2) a 'lower resolution / higher fps' (sports / wildlife / photo-journalists)

However, for some reason, at this stage, I am just thinking they might split differently. I could very well be wrong. I just see there being a 'gap' for a (perhaps) 3D - which is above 5D line in resolution and in fps.  Like the 7D was when it came out (above other APS-C cameras in both resolution and fps).

I think both the 5D line and a possible 3D line will be relatively high resolution, compared to the 1DX, which has the ultimate image quality per pixel - in terms of very low noise, great DR - and the most speed of them all.

Let's see! Thanks again.   ;)

Paul

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #43 on: February 21, 2012, 05:35:23 AM »