May 26, 2018, 02:48:19 AM

Author Topic: Canon Rumors is watching  (Read 2893 times)

sanj

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
Re: Canon Rumors is watching
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2018, 09:58:21 PM »
Thank you ALL. Understand this better. Will take your advice Tyroop. My trip not confirmed yet, am waiting for a yes to a music video to be shot in Bangkok. If that happens then I will go diving. If it happens, I will inbox you and perhaps we can meet.

I am not paranoid one bit and want CR to make all the money they can. I have expressed this earlier too on some other post.

I was just amazed that my search clicks where known. Thats all. Did not realize that it is known to all almost immediately. And of course CR is not interested in my searches. But they are interested obliquely because they have Google post my search on its website so advertisers can reach me. Cant deny that. And again, am fine with that as everyone is doing it. I did not know it was so blatant.

Actually having said that, I feel my searches were not visible - be it Google or CR or anyone else.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2018, 09:58:21 PM »

ethanz

• EOS 7D Mark II
  • 1DX II
    • my website
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2018, 10:38:56 PM »
If you want more private searches, use DuckDuckGo.
1DX II, 16-35L f/4 IS, 24-70L f/2.8 II, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 200-400L f/4 IS w/1.4 EXT
http://ethanzentz.com/

Tyroop

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2018, 10:49:54 PM »
Sanj, I'm in the deep south near the Malaysian border, but I'll be in Bangkok in June. See how your timing works out.

The Internet is all a bit sinister, as was highlighted in the recent Facebook/Cambridge Analytica scandal. Information about you is harvested constantly and fed into Big Data. Cookies are dropped and track everything. Whenever I look at hotel information I get an e-mail from a hotel booking company a few minutes afterwards offering me hotels for the same location.

Craig needs to be compensated for the time and effort he puts into this, as well as the hosting costs. People can recommend ad blockers, but all that will do is hasten the demise of the 'free' Internet. Already, lots of news sites are subscription based and the big social media sites use the information that you provide about yourself to make money. If ad blockers kills off all the small, independent sites the future for the WWW looks pretty bleak.

As a small website publisher myself I've seen my earnings drop to almost nothing over the past few years and many small websites have already closed. Lots of people are blocking ads, but I'm not sure if they are fully aware of the consequences.

sanj

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2018, 12:53:20 AM »
 8)

LDS

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2018, 03:12:03 AM »
Craig needs to be compensated for the time and effort he puts into this, as well as the hosting costs. People can recommend ad blockers, but all that will do is hasten the demise of the 'free' Internet.

The only "free" internet was that subsidized by DARPA and a few big universities...  long time ago.

Anyway, you can whitelist sites in ads blocker, so reputable ones still get their money, and dodgy ones don't. Reputable sites should use reputable ads services that don't put users in danger, or show objectionable contents.

User data collecting by ads without user consent is another big issue which goes beyond simply showing ads - and the European General Data Protection Regulation is going to have a big impact on that.

sanj

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2018, 04:50:00 AM »
I just logged on to Macrumors. And there were dive boats there too!!  ;D ;D ;D

Hillsilly

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2018, 05:05:43 AM »
On this site, I just get patio heaters and fire pits.  Boring.  Yet on a news site, I've got a B&H ad advertising a Godox AD200 that I'm thinking of picking up.  Much more interesting!
Camera Obscura

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2018, 05:05:43 AM »