July 20, 2018, 01:13:10 AM

Author Topic: What's Not Coming in 2018?  (Read 18297 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
    • Canon Rumors
What's Not Coming in 2018?
« on: April 27, 2018, 10:27:37 AM »

There is still some chatter around the web that an EOS 7D Mark III will be coming ahead of Photokina in September. We can safely say that this is not the case and the EOS 7D Mark III will be coming some time in 2019.

If we go by our buyer’s guide announcement dates, there are a lot of cameras that still have some time in the lineup before they get replaced.

• The Canon EOS 7D Mark II was announced 1320 days ago, the previous time between the EOS 7D and EOS 7D Mark II was 1637 days.

• The Canon EOS 80D was announced 799 days ago, the previous time between the EOS 70D and EOS 80D was was 961 days.

• The Canon EOS 5DS/5DS R were announced 1176 days ago, since there is no previous versions of these cameras, we’ll use the EOS 5D series dates. The time between the EOS 5D Mark III and EOS 5D Mark IV was 1637 days.

We suspect product lifecycles are going to continue to stay the same or increase slightly in the coming years.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 08:03:46 PM by Canon Rumors »
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

What's Not Coming in 2018?
« on: April 27, 2018, 10:27:37 AM »

xps

• EOS 5DS R
Re: What's Not Coming in 2018?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 11:03:45 AM »
Not the rumor, I´d like to hear. But if you see it from Canon´s view absolutely an economic strategy.
The competitors are increasing tempo and putting a lot of good features in their products. But despite this, Canon is still earning a lot of Money with their "older", but still well working stuff.

:(

amorse

• EOS Rebel T7i
    • Flickr
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2018, 11:33:01 AM »
Not the rumor, I´d like to hear. But if you see it from Canon´s view absolutely an economic strategy.
The competitors are increasing tempo and putting a lot of good features in their products. But despite this, Canon is still earning a lot of Money with their "older", but still well working stuff.

:(
Agreed - their current offerings have enough of what people need to do their job.  Until the market swings to other manufacturers Canon will keep doing what it's doing.  If it isn't broken, don't fix it!

It seems to me that with so many different camera lines produced by Canon, it makes more sense for them to  update each line more slowly in order to have a wider variety of cameras targeting different market points.  Maybe targeting more market points at once is more profitable than a more rapid turnover of products.

MrFotoFool

• EOS 5DS R
  • 5D mkIV
    • HoodFineArt
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2018, 11:36:30 AM »
In a review by Dustin Abbott (I think for 80D) he made an interesting observation. (It is his opinion but it may be true). He said while other manufacturers are quicker to come out with new features, Canon has the features more refined so that they work better when they do come out.

I was also reading another thread here about 7Dmarkii and the last posts were from almost two years ago (May 2016). People back then were holding off on purchase because the 7Dmarkiii release was imminent! I wonder if they are still waiting?

tomscott

• EOS 5DS R
  • Photographer & Graphic Designer
    • Tom Scott | Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2018, 11:44:08 AM »
Hard work being a Canon fan...
5DIV 6DII 5DIII STOLEN 7DII 70D 17-55mm F2.8 16-35mm F2.8 II L 24-70mm F2.8 L 24-105mm F4 L 70-200mm F2.8 II L 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 II L 2x II 1.4X III 580EX

ritholtz

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2018, 11:53:39 AM »

<li>The Canon EOS 90D was announced 799 days ago, the previous time between the EOS 70D and EOS 80D was was 961 days.</li>

I think it is 80D.
70D, 10-18mm, 17-50mm F2.8, 85mm F1.8, 55-250 STM.

fingerstein

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 12:08:23 PM »
I was also reading another thread here about 7Dmarkii and the last posts were from almost two years ago (May 2016). People back then were holding off on purchase because the 7Dmarkiii release was imminent! I wonder if they are still waiting?
Well... Yes! I own a 7D Mark II and it's for sale. But there seems to be no interest for it. People prefer to invest money in a camera that is future proof. Or, because fits their budget.
Most o people know about Canon-Nikon war... Maybe it doesn't matter what better features competition will add as long these two are the best. If everybody will do like me... Because there's a better system, nobody cold sell their used gear. If Canon doesn't come very soon with something to compete with Sony as a perfect hybrid camera (photo/video) it's very likely that I'll have two systems. Just because Canon is hard to sell.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 12:08:23 PM »

dak723

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 12:15:31 PM »
Well... Yes! I own a 7D Mark II and it's for sale. But there seems to be no interest for it. People prefer to invest money in a camera that is future proof. Or, because fits their budget.
Most o people know about Canon-Nikon war... Maybe it doesn't matter what better features competition will add as long these two are the best. If everybody will do like me... Because there's a better system, nobody cold sell their used gear. If Canon doesn't come very soon with something to compete with Sony as a perfect hybrid camera (photo/video) it's very likely that I'll have two systems. Just because Canon is hard to sell.

Hard to sell?  Interesting.  Noticed that 12 Canon 7D II cameras were sold on Ebay (USA) yesterday and 17 in the past two days.  Just sayin'  :)

Diko

• EOS 6D Mark II
  • 7 fps...
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 12:21:27 PM »

The Canon EOS 7D Mark II was announced 1320 days ago, the previous time between the EOS 7D and EOS 7D Mark II was 1637 days.
The Canon EOS 5DS/5DS R were announced 1176 days ago, since there is no previous versions of these cameras, we’ll use the EOS 5D series dates. The time between the EOS 5D Mark III and EOS 5D Mark IV was 1637 days.

We suspect product life cycles are going to continue to stay the same or increase slightly in the coming years.
Quite sound observation there. Thank you, Canon rumors.

It would have never even occur to my mind to count the days instead of years or months of the gaps. The same number in the days of the 7D and 5D series is quite astonishing and seems well Japanese.

Hard work being a Canon fan...
Feel ya there, bro! Feel ya :D :D :D
Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.

wldbil

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 12:35:54 PM »
 MrFotoFool I was waiting for the 7D Mark III. No longer interested.

Had 2 7D mark ii’s. After getting the first one wet at the Formula 1 in Montreal, I had to replace it. Decided to get another 7D Mark ii. I really liked the machine gun action when shooting sports. The downside was only getting a 40 to 60 percent keeper rate. Also found that I was spending too much time deleting a lot of photos.

Wanted the next generation because I wanted better color, better low light, higher keeper rate.

After getting the Rockinon 14 mm f 2.4 for night photography I decided to go full frame with the 5D Mark IV. I’m very happy that I did. Don’t miss the 7D Mark II much. Had no problem selling the 7D Mark II. Did find that it was shaper for microphotography. That was surprising. I do have a larger field to work with the 5D Mark IV but I don’t find the photos are quite as sharp when stacking with Zerene Stacker. When I say not as sharp I’m nitpicking at the micron level. The colours of the 5D are better, keeper rate is better, low light is better.

Regardless of what the next generation of the 7D will bring, I personally have moved on. I presently am not interested in what the next 5D will be unless I can get a sharper picture from it for microphotography. For all my other photography the pictures are great. I’m still learning things about the 5D Mark IV and will be until I’m too old to shoot anymore.
5D Mark IV, Canon (135/2, 50/1.8, 24 ii/1.4,100 - 400 ii/4.5 - 5.6, EX EF 1.4x III), Rokinon 14/2.4, extension tubes, a mono pod and two tripods.
Zeiss Stemi 2000-c microscope, Williams Optics 110mm telescope & various binoculars (Zeiss 10x42 Fav)

KeithBreazeal

• EOS 5DS R
    • Keith Breazeal Photography
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2018, 01:09:47 PM »
  I still have my trusty 7D and really thought I'd jump for the 7D mark III when the time came.  After buying an M5, I'm having second thoughts.  I have the 5D Mark IV and 5DS for FF along with way too many EF lenses and a few crop body lenses.  I may wind up giving my son the 7D and some lenses for it- that will please him to no end.  He got into photography when I gave him my first DSLR- a 40D.
  So, my thoughts for now are sticking with FF bodies and using the M5 for either a second body or the everyday personal fun stuff.  The little M5 is surprisingly good.  The 11-22mm on the M5 is killer.
The 7D Mark III would have to be "over the top" stunning for me to reconsider.  Throw in a flippy screen and 10+ fps and I'll take notice. 
Canon 5D Mark IV, Canon 5DS, 5D Mark III, Canon M5, 7D, SL-1, Canon 300L 2.8, 100-400L IS, 70-200L IS, 24-105L, 10-22mm, Rokinon 14mm 2.8, Tokina 16-28 f2.8

Chaitanya

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2018, 02:07:26 PM »

Hard to sell?  Interesting.  Noticed that 12 Canon 7D II cameras were sold on Ebay (USA) yesterday and 17 in the past two days.  Just sayin'  :)
Even in India I have seen a lot of adverts on local websites for 7D Mk2 for sale. You can get it used for lot less than price of 80D(new). Not sure why people are selling them off but they do seem to be the most commonly sold Canon camera after Eos 600/700D.

Treyarnon

• PowerShot SX60 HS
    • Matt-Photo.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 03:10:04 PM »
The Canon EOS 90D was announced 799 days ago, the previous time between the EOS 70D and EOS 80D was was 961 days.

You mean the 80D right?
This suggests that the 80D replacement is due 6th October 2018. Cool  ;)

I say '80D replacement' - as I'm not sure it will be called the 90D (this naming conversion is going to hit the buffers very soon anyway). If Canon wants the "benefit" of my "superior market acumen" -  how about and '8D'?
As in: 1D (full pro brick outhouse, money no object) - 5D and 6D (good full framers) - 7D and 8D (good croppers) and then slightly re-brand and tidy up the Rebel lines .

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2018, 03:10:04 PM »

traveller

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2018, 03:23:12 PM »
In a review by Dustin Abbott (I think for 80D) he made an interesting observation. (It is his opinion but it may be true). He said while other manufacturers are quicker to come out with new features, Canon has the features more refined so that they work better when they do come out.

The counter view to this is that Canon are behind the times with their approach and should change their approach to continuous development of product lines via downloadable firmware upgrades. Thom Hogan advocates for Nikon to do this is a recent article http://dslrbodies.com/newsviews/nikon-to-do-list.html (see point #3).

Of course, one can argue that Fujifilm is freer to release bug-ridden products as their users are more likely to be friendly to this sort of approach (partly through self-selection). 

jolyonralph

• EOS 5D Mark IV
    • Every Other Shot
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 03:24:24 PM »
"While the EOS 7D Mark II will not be replaced in 2017, we think it’s very possible we see a replacement later in 2018 ahead of Photokina. The 5 year wait between Mark 1 and Mark II likely won’t repeat itself"

Source: http://www.canonrumors.com/buyers-guide/#ixzz5Du11MMNp

:D
Jolyon Ralph

Cameras: 5DSR, A7RII, 5D III, EOS M6/M5/M3, Mavic Pro, DXO One.  Oh, and more lenses than I care to count.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2018, 03:24:24 PM »