May 27, 2018, 02:05:45 PM

Author Topic: Using an iPAD and external drive for travel  (Read 2954 times)

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • Would you take advice from a cartoons stuffed toy?
Re: Using an iPAD and external drive for travel
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2018, 06:50:28 PM »
I use the iPad Pro and the WD My Passport Wireless 4TB very happily on trips.

The reports on the My Passport Wireless on amazon.co.uk are mixed, with a large number of 1* ratings and complaints. How much does it weigh - I can't find the info in the tech specs?

450 grams, with the case and cable 525.

To be clear, if I am working away I bring my 15" MBP and the WD HDD, if I am on one of my travels, vacation, self commissioned travel images etc and want to travel light and I am not that fussed about doing serious editing while I am away but do have want the capability to cull, rate, do 'normal' editing and upload a picture here and there the iPad with Lightroom and the WD HDD are what I take.

For me both workflows have a purpose and after years of traveling heavy with multiple bodies, lenses, bricks of film and 'stuff' I have enjoyed the last few years of comparative simplicity with one body, often one or two lenses, a small tripod, battery powered printer, and the iPad, it all fits in a ThinkTank Urban Disguise 50 V2 and never gets a second look at airports or wandering in less than savory neighborhoods.

If I was working I would not recommend purchasing the iPad and WD HDD as a pro workflow solution at this point, its close to being workable but not their yet; for less than pro work it can be more than adequate if you go into it with your eyes open. It won't be efficient for 1,000's of images, it has limitations etc, but if you have an iPad Pro and want additional storage the WD HDD works well in my experience. It is not the same as a tablet with a fully functional file based operating system and a plugged in HDD.
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2018, 06:50:28 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2018, 07:28:43 PM »

The reports on the My Passport Wireless on amazon.co.uk are mixed, with a large number of 1* ratings and complaints. How much does it weigh - I can't find the info in the tech specs?

The SSD version is 235.3g, It sounds like a appealing choice.  Can it be kept in a pocket or bag and still wirelessly connect?

I'm almost convinced to get one.

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/WD-My-Passport-Wireless-SSD.aspx

privatebydesign

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2018, 07:51:13 PM »

The SSD version is 235.3g, It sounds like a appealing choice.  Can it be kept in a pocket or bag and still wirelessly connect?

I'm almost convinced to get one.

Yes it can.

The WiFi range is good, the SSD version came out after I got mine but I like the size and cost of the regular version too!
Too often we lose sight of the fact that photography is about capturing light, if we have the ability to take control of that light then we grow exponentially as photographers. More often than not the image is not about lens speed, sensor size, DR, MP's or AF, it is about the light.

privatebydesign

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2018, 08:09:01 PM »

The SSD version is 235.3g,

I think you misread that,
Compared to the tiny bus-powered portable hard drives such as the WD My Passport portable hard drives, the WD My Passport Wireless SSD is noticeably larger and heavier (16.2 vs. 8.3 oz, 460.3 vs. 235.3g), accounting for the substantial battery and additional electronics required for the wireless functionality.

The 235 is for the regular bus powered My Passport, not the My Passport Wireless.

eml58

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • 1Dx
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2018, 10:02:30 PM »
Using the Seagate Wireless Plus 2 TB

https://www.seagate.com/au/en/consumer/backup/wireless-plus/#specs

Quite happy with this item, small enough, light weight, and it works with both Apple systems & or Windows.

The WiFi system is first rate.

I was using this with my iPad Pro, MacBook Pro, but have dropped both those from my travel gear and now utilise the Seagate Wireless Plus with my Wacom Mobile Studio Pro 16", it is a windows based machine while travelling, but tethers to the Mac when home if required.

I run Creative cloud (Lightroom & Photoshop) plus On1 RAW and the set up works flawlessly with the Seagate either through the WiFi or plugged direct to the Wacom.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

360iViews

• Canonflex
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2018, 10:39:30 PM »
I am eyeing up ways of reducing weight for my forthcoming weight-restricted safari. One thought has been to leave the MacBook Pro at home and use an iPAD for initial downloading, preliminary editing, and then backing up on an external drive. But, a real drawback of the iPAD is its incompatibility with plug-in drives. It seems that you have to connect wirelessly, and there are not many compatible drives - the LaCie Fuel and Mypassport wireless are mentioned on the web. I also use .cr2 files.

So, I would like advice on a) software for preliminary editing of .cr2 RAW files and b) backing up.

You might-could use that iPad Pro and a Gnarbox or LaCie. I have both, and are used for different types of shooting/downloading/editing. The Gnarbox is good because I can download image files to it, then do immediate editing on my phone or iPad. On a trip to Disney back in March, I did a quick download, edit and post to Instagram while waiting for the wife and kids to finish their ride. I don't use the editing software provided by Gnarbox, because I have Adobe Cloud - LR, PS & Pr are on all of my mobile devices.

Mt Spokane Photography

• CR GEEK
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2018, 11:27:36 PM »

The SSD version is 235.3g,

I think you misread that,
Compared to the tiny bus-powered portable hard drives such as the WD My Passport portable hard drives, the WD My Passport Wireless SSD is noticeably larger and heavier (16.2 vs. 8.3 oz, 460.3 vs. 235.3g), accounting for the substantial battery and additional electronics required for the wireless functionality.

The 235 is for the regular bus powered My Passport, not the My Passport Wireless.

I read that backwards, after double checking, you are, of course, right.

I'm still interested.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2018, 11:27:36 PM »

AlanF

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2018, 02:15:08 AM »
This site gives very good reviews of back-up systems. https://havecamerawilltravel.com/photographer/wd-my-passport-wireless-pro-review/     Go to near bottom of page and there is a table plus links to reviews of other devices. 
5D IV, 5DS R, 400mm DO II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, EF 1.8 STM,  EF 24-105, 100-400 II, EF-S 15-85, Sigma 150-600mm C, EOS-M5 15-45, f/2 22, 11-22, Samyang 8mm f/2.8 fisheye: sold 7D II, EOS-M, Powershot G3 X,  Sigma 10-20, EF 300/2.8 II, 70-200/4 IS.

Vivid Color

• EOS 6D Mark II
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2018, 08:12:28 AM »
I guess that one of the considerations is the availability of power and high speed internet.
OP: This is a very important point and not one to be underestimated. I don't know where you are going or the conditions you will be facing, but when I went to Tanzania a few years ago, I made the decision to stay in lodges not tented camps so I'd have more and continued access to power. What I didn't know at the time is that many of the lodges in remote areas also rely on generator power and the power is often cut out for a bit when they change the generators. Some days, I barely had power to sufficiently charge my camera batteries. One day, I had no power and was really glad I brought along the huge flashlight my tour provider had sent me before I left on the trip. My trip was also weight restricted (to 33 pounds total) and I'm glad I made the decision to leave the extra weight of an iPad and external drive at home (I also considered this for a while) and instead take enough SD cards that I wouldn't need to worry about taking extra stuff along to back them up to reuse them. I'm glad I made this decision as it not only allowed me to take another change of clothes along, it also freed up time for me to do and see other things on the trip--things I would not be able to do when I got back home. Don't get me wrong, I believe in backups and have my files triple backed up once I move the images from the cards to my computer. But, so far at least, I've never lost an image on an SD card. (Maybe this is more of a risk on CF cards, I don't know.) I should probably note that I grew up with film so it's no big deal for me to not view my photos until I get back home. (Plus, I've already seen previews on the back of my camera, which is way more than I ever got to do shooting film.) Everyone is different, but for me, unless I'm going on a dedicated photo workshop in which I am expected to process my images and share them with the group, it's more important to me to enjoy my time on my trip, and experience to the fullest my being in a foreign place. Especially one that is hard and expensive to get to. Good luck on your trip! --Vivid

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2018, 08:12:28 AM »