May 27, 2018, 01:59:33 PM

Author Topic: Well, Here's Another Mirrorless Option for Your Canon Glass  (Read 6970 times)

magarity

• EOS Rebel SL2
Re: Well, Here's Another Mirrorless Option for Your Canon Glass
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2018, 06:34:48 PM »
That's a really great picture of a foggy London morning in the sample phone app.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2018, 06:34:48 PM »

masterpix

• PowerShot G1 X II
This will "kill" the mirror-less cameras...
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2018, 02:06:03 AM »
it makes the mirror-less body unnecessary, you have the lens (any EF, EF-S, EF-M) and the sensor connected directly to the phone from from there to whatever you want to show the world. Such solution is smaller than having a mirror-less body, and soon there will be lots of handy editing features that will turn this solution into something most people will buy. if they can make the "body" a bit shorter (and wider) than it will become a phone accessory. And if it will come with the right price, it will "kill" the mirror-less cameras.  8), Attach a pancake lens to it, 40mm? crop ratio of 3-5? you have a quality camera for the phone, this might even lead to 5mm, 10mm, 20mm pancake lenses, EF-P (for the phone?)

mb66energy

• EOS 5DS R
    • My Homepage
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2018, 03:34:25 AM »
A strange being - from the viewpoint of a photgrapher.

Strange now, but get used to it -- it's the future.  Items like this represent the essential elements of a digital camera: lens and sensor.  Everything else -- body, controls, viewfinder -- are just ergonomic add-ons.  I won't attempt to predict when, but at some point the "body" will just be a framework (with controls) to which you attach your lens and sensor, and maybe also your personal screen, if we haven't moved to direct retinal projection by then.

Hey, thanks for the reply - a very interesting point of view.

Just dreaming about physical controls you can buy piece for piece and connect via I2C bus to a Wifi enabled ESP32 uControler which communicates with the "essential camera" (lens+sensor). LEGO principle. Then you print your own camera body where the physical controls are where you want them after scanning your hand for the grip shape.
And if there is a new "essential camera" you just swap it out for the old one and the body stays the same.

Yes, there is a chance for a very bright future :)
Most used tools: EOS 200D + EF-S 60mm + 4.0 / 70-200 IS AND/OR EOS 5D i  + 4.0 70-200 IS + 2.8 100 Macro

photonius

• EOS M5
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2018, 09:29:37 AM »

Strange now, but get used to it -- it's the future.  Items like this represent the essential elements of a digital camera: lens and sensor.  Everything else -- body, controls, viewfinder -- are just ergonomic add-ons.  I won't attempt to predict when, but at some point the "body" will just be a framework (with controls) to which you attach your lens and sensor, and maybe also your personal screen, if we haven't moved to direct retinal projection by then.

Just dreaming about physical controls you can buy piece for piece and connect via I2C bus to a Wifi enabled ESP32 uControler which communicates with the "essential camera" (lens+sensor). LEGO principle. Then you print your own camera body where the physical controls are where you want them after scanning your hand for the grip shape.
And if there is a new "essential camera" you just swap it out for the old one and the body stays the same.

Oh dear,    Canon is doomed....   ;)

... ah not, Canon will shine, since it has one of the best and largest lens systems...  ;)

MrFotoFool

• EOS 5DS R
  • 5D mkIV
    • HoodFineArt
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2018, 10:36:17 AM »
If this was on or near April 1st, I would think it is an April Fool's Day joke. Since it is not, I will just think it is possibly the stupidest idea in the history of camera manufacturing.

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2018, 12:24:00 PM »

Being able to "print" your own camera body will be possible around the same time that you won't need one, because you'll just be able to pick up a handheld tricorder that can simply record 3D realtime images through 99.5% of solid objects on Earth at a sextillion megapixels per microsecond and re-render them in a holodeck.

Shellbo6901

• PowerShot G7 X Mark II
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2018, 07:16:13 PM »
the sony/olympus kind of disappeared into thin AIR. haha

id only pay around $50 for one of these unless they were like the best thing ever. but only bc that is like a 2 nice splurging dinners

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2018, 07:16:13 PM »

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2018, 01:38:18 AM »
the sony/olympus kind of disappeared into thin AIR. haha

id only pay around $50 for one of these unless they were like the best thing ever. but only bc that is like a 2 nice splurging dinners

I've spent way more than that on a lot of useless stuff, so I guess I'd peg it at slightly more.  But, only oh-so-slightly, mostly because it connects to a cell phone; on every camera I've done remote shooting from phone with, using the native camera interfaces for wifi or Bluetooth, the performance is just terrible, and lots of things (like phone calls) will wreak havoc on the connection.

If it worked smoothly and without a lot of lag and with a framerate that didn't look like stop motion photography, I'd pay maybe $150-$200 for it.  If it worked like the current (Canon) phone app, it'd be worth nothing to me.

ahsanford

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • USM > STM
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2018, 12:34:05 PM »
So I'll say it -- [wince] -- why not get the DXO One over this?

Pros:

• (In really broad strokes) Turn your iPhone into an RX100
  • Direct connection for data is better than having to couple and manage disconnects / "forgetting" the camera is on, etc.
  • Far better ergonomic implementation, etc. than the Air or this Yongnuo idea
  • You don't have to trust Yongnuo to not drop your lenses  :o

Cons: 

• It has the letters DXO on it. :o
  • Can't change lenses
  • iPhone Lightning connection or bust (I don't believe there's an Android version)
  • I've never used it, so manual focusing may be a screen-driven + FBW hot mess
  • Their advert on multi-shot mode looking like an FF SLR is radioactively irresponsible and misleading

Positive read of the DXO One here (if curious).

I am formally no fan of the DXO One for more reasons than I can count, but of all the bad options to upgrade your cell phone photography experience, this would appear to be a better one than this Yongnuo idea.  Talk me down, please.   :D

- A

ahsanford

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • USM > STM
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2018, 12:37:17 PM »
And yeah, I threw up in my mouth repping DXO One just now.

It's not a compliment to the DXO One nearly so much as it is a burn to the Yongnuo idea.

- A

mbuzz

• Canonflex
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2018, 10:14:14 PM »
I'd suggest this is the sort of innovation Canon should be looking at. We all have a smartphone with a far superior display than the one in the camera body, why not use it for your screen and controls. Put a medium format sensor in the controller/body and now were talking.

the.unkle.george

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2018, 01:02:39 PM »
What?   No 1/4" screw hole on the bottom?     How am I going to mount this on my selfie stick?

Sure there's a few major misses here, but the idea has potential to fill the gap between a GoPro and a 6dII blogging camera.
Make it water tight, built-in speed booster, 802.11 ac wifi and a huge battery and you have durable, portable blogging platform.

CanonFanBoy

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • I like cheap wine and even cheaper women.
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2018, 12:42:23 AM »
defeats the whole purpose of using the camera in the phone. And somebody is actually talking medium format?  ::)
5D Mark III, Canon EF 24-70 F/2.8L II, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L II, 135 f/2L, Streaklight 360ws, Flashpoint XPLOR 600PRO, 26x m42 screw mount lenses adapted to my DSLR. Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II, Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2018, 12:42:23 AM »

jolyonralph

• EOS 5D Mark IV
    • Every Other Shot
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2018, 08:40:38 AM »
Jolyon Ralph

Cameras: 5DSR, A7RII, 5D III, EOS M6/M5/M3, Mavic Pro, DXO One.  Oh, and more lenses than I care to count.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2018, 08:40:38 AM »