June 20, 2018, 07:13:52 PM

Author Topic: Focus Peaking Epiphany! And tilt shift.  (Read 2573 times)

cpreston

• EOS Rebel 300D
Re: Focus Peaking Epiphany! And tilt shift.
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2018, 11:09:09 AM »
If you want to have some fun with your focus peaking, m42 lenses, ef-m camera, and tilt shift, try this thing: https://www.adorama.com/katspxseosm.html

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2018, 11:09:09 AM »

jolyonralph

• EOS 5D Mark IV
    • Every Other Shot
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2018, 11:42:12 AM »
If you want to have some fun with your focus peaking, m42 lenses, ef-m camera, and tilt shift, try this thing: https://www.adorama.com/katspxseosm.html

I have the Nikon mount version of this, it's really quite fun with old Nikkor manual-focus lenses such as the 50mm f/1.4 and the classic Nikkor Micro 55mm f/2.8
Jolyon Ralph

Cameras: 5DSR, A7RII, 5D III, EOS M6/M5/M3, Mavic Pro, DXO One.  Oh, and more lenses than I care to count.

Sporgon

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2018, 03:30:28 PM »

Therefore I am curious to read the above post by Sporgon, (Hi!) who wrote that focus peaking is more useful in (his) experience when it is used with narrow depth of field applications... (e.g. macro and portraits whereas when wider applications it is not so useful).  ;)

To ensure I understand this... do you mean that when the depth of field is wider, the 'in focus' displayed by the coloured focus peaking is too wide (i.e. extends from nearby to quite far "into" the composition), and therefore it is too easy to miss the critical focus point?

Yes basically. As I said, my experience with focus peaking on the Sony A7, Canon M3 and M5 is that the further away you are focusing, the wider the field of contrast and so peaking, and the "one third" in rule is a minefield as you get further away, as are different focal lengths. If we're going to get anal about it here's a link:

http://dofmaster.com

So......although using focus peaking on a tilt lens sounds like a good idea I'm not sure how it would work in practice as I've no experience ! But I suspect that it won't be as good as you think.

cpreston

• EOS Rebel 300D
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2018, 05:53:16 PM »
As a video guy, focus peaking can be a miss when you have a wide depth of field and very little foreground or background to help judge where the highest contrast might be. That is why Canon also includes a line overlay that displays contrast. When contrast peaks while focusing, you know you are in focus.

With tilt shift lenses, a foreground/background like grass really helps because you can see a line of high contrast peaking moving across the image as you focus forward and back. When you tilt, this line is no longer perpendicular to the camera lens so you can get a much better idea of how tilting is changing your focal plane. Peaking might not be magic, but I wouldn't want to use a tilt shift lens without it.

CanonFanBoy

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Bipolar. When it is happening I don't realize it.
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 07:56:27 PM »
So if you want to use focus peaking on a FF body with Canon lenses - why haven't you bought a Sony a7III or a7rIII yet? Add the metabones adapter and you're all set. As you move the focus plane around with the TS-E yes you can see the focus peaking indicating color move too. I think there's 3 different color choices and 3 different peaking strengths as well.

If you are shooting portraits - then with a native lens you have the eye control AF which I hear works really well.

Yuck. Why would I buy a Sony hand hurter to throw adapted L glass on?

Seriously, I'm not in the market for another FF camera at the moment. I can wait on Canon. I'd rather have my lenses native to the body (Exception: Legacy glass). That's how a fanboy rolls. ;)
5D Mark III, Canon EF 24-70 F/2.8L II, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L II, 135 f/2L, Streaklight 360ws, Flashpoint XPLOR 600PRO, 26x m42 screw mount lenses adapted to my DSLR. Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II, Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2018, 07:56:27 PM »