June 18, 2018, 12:13:45 AM

Author Topic: Kickstarter: The KOBRA Flash Modifier System  (Read 3147 times)

Mikehit

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
Re: Kickstarter: The KOBRA Flash Modifier System
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2018, 01:38:24 PM »
The same thing occurred to me

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2018, 01:38:24 PM »

Hesbehindyou

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2018, 05:29:04 PM »
Couldn't you just get the gary fong rip off dome on ebay and line the back and top with tinfoil?

Absolutely!

They show a bunch of crap-looking-but-still-functional bodges at the start of the video - I quite like that they're upfront about it just being an expensive version of the bodge that most of its buyers will already have made and already be using themselves.

lubinphoto

• Canonflex
    • Lubin Tasevski Photography
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2018, 10:12:46 AM »
The reason everyone does their own DIY modifier is the plain truth is each modifier does relatively the same thing.
The flash with nothing added is a small light source and creates harsh shadows.
Bouncing up or to the side, or behind (if near a wall) all serves to make the light source bigger and softer.
All these modifiers do is simply try to make the light source a bit bigger to soften the light.
Regardless of which you use, if they are the same size, expect similar results.
If you are in a very open space and you try to bounce up or anywhere away from the subject, you will waste a lot of light and eat up a lot of battery life (unless on a really high iso), and bouncing into a sky is pointless without one of these add-on plastic things on your flash.

In a club, the client doesn't care about shadows. Actually, most clients don't care. We do, because we are picky about what we feel looks great. I personally like setting up strobes around the room and choosing which goes off to shape my light. I often don't notice any issues with shadows with my setup. But when running and gunning with flash on camera, I say if the client is expecting that kind of equipment setup, then they should expect harsh shadows even with all these DIY or expensive modifiers.

If you are ready to spend $40 to $100+ on one of these pieces of plastic that cost $0.50 to make, go nuts and buy as much as you want. The DIY'ers are smart to simply make their own and save a few bucks. The video tries to make it seam like DIY modifiers are ineffective, but not true.

If you want a soft light, make a bigger modifier. It would be funny to see someone strap on a 2ft scrim, harnessed to their body to bounce the light off. this would create the best soft light, but would look stupid and make you stand out too much, especially at a concert or party.

Pookie

• EOS 5DS R
  • PDB loves juggling Pookie, dont forget to rinse...
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2018, 10:21:50 AM »
In a year this will be laying in a box (or the recycle bin) next to your Fong gear and all the rest of the "trinkets" that people sell to photography newbies.
Simple truth about this site, if you're here you are daily chiming in with advice, you are  in no way a professional photographer and don't even try and pretend you are.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2018, 10:21:50 AM »