June 18, 2018, 04:05:31 AM

Author Topic: More Full Frame Mirrorless Talk, Maybe Some Surprises? [CR1]  (Read 11733 times)

CanonFanBoy

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Bipolar. When it is happening I don't realize it.
Re: More Full Frame Mirrorless Talk, Maybe Some Surprises? [CR1]
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018, 02:45:55 PM »
If the code name is "Z" and it is video centric, then an extension of the XC-15 concept seems to be the most likely.

IOW not at all interesting for me.

Canon Zorro Mark I
5D Mark III, Canon EF 24-70 F/2.8L II, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 35 f/1.4L II, 135 f/2L, Streaklight 360ws, Flashpoint XPLOR 600PRO, 26x m42 screw mount lenses adapted to my DSLR. Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II, Olympus M. Zuiko Digital ED 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2018, 02:45:55 PM »

dak723

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2018, 02:55:39 PM »
We’re certainly not expecting the M series mount for full frame.

Not sure who the "we" is of which you speak, but I think a good % of those who have been paying attention here are expecting exactly that.

Has anyone actually confirmed that an FF sensor can be used with the M mount?  All the initial speculation when the M series was launched was that you could not get a big enough image circle for an FF sized sensor on an M camera.  Knowing the answer to that question seems to be important for all further speculation.

andrei1989

• EOS M5
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2018, 03:58:47 PM »
Has anyone actually confirmed that an FF sensor can be used with the M mount?  All the initial speculation when the M series was launched was that you could not get a big enough image circle for an FF sized sensor on an M camera.  Knowing the answer to that question seems to be important for all further speculation.

to "actually confirm" would mean that someone should sacrifice an M camera and a FF DSLR to rip the sensor from the latter and glue it into the former
the EF-M mount diameter (47mm) is similar to the sony FE mount diameter (46.1), and they put a FF sensor there last i checked
Canon M5|Canon EF-M 15-45mm| Canon EF-M 11-22mm|Canon 15-85mm|Canon 55-250mm IS STM|Canon 40mm STM|Samyang 85mm f/1.4|Meike 35mm f/1.7| Samyang 14mm f/2.8

Kit.

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2018, 04:09:03 PM »

Not sure who the "we" is of which you speak, but I think a good % of those who have been paying attention here are expecting exactly that.

Is it technically possible to make at least some FF lens for EF-M mount? Yes, there were some FF mounts with a much smaller opening than this one during the film rangefinder era. One of them was an one inch screw mount.

Is it technically possible to use most of the existing EF lenses with not much vignetting in the corners? Very likely, although probably not with the current EF - EF-M converters. Leica M is a slightly narrower mount, but it was still wide enough to have a 50/0.95 lens.

Will the lens adapter needed for EF to EF-M to FF sensor configuration be sturdy and durable enough for field work with heavy long telephoto lenses? That's something that probably needs extensive testing.

fullstop

• EOS 80D
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2018, 05:15:01 PM »
If that's not belonging into EOS line, then it's just maybe something like XC15 with interchangeable lens.

exactly. FF sensored XC-## with EF mount. Video-centric. Not of any interest to vast majority of market. move on, nothing to see.

Don Haines

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2018, 07:03:47 PM »

Will the lens adapter needed for EF to EF-M to FF sensor configuration be sturdy and durable enough for field work with heavy long telephoto lenses? That's something that probably needs extensive testing.

Remember, once you get into the big whites, it’s not so much mounting the lens on the camera as it is mounting the camera on the lens :)
The best camera is the one in your hands

Kit.

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2018, 07:32:29 PM »
Remember, once you get into the big whites, it’s not so much mounting the lens on the camera as it is mounting the camera on the lens :)
Static load for a camera+lens combo on a tripod is by far not the heaviest load suffered by an adapter during its routine [ab]use.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2018, 07:32:29 PM »

melgross

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2018, 07:41:22 PM »

That would be nuts. The M mount is for an app-c size sensor. It would be, in no way, appropriate for a full size sensor. Why would someone think that work?

CanonGrunt

• EOS Rebel SL2
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2018, 08:06:48 PM »
I would be very surprised if the CANON FF mirroless is not focused on Video more than stills. They are going to want to make up opportunity lost to the Sony a7 series and cameras like the GH5.
c500, c100 MK II, EOS 1V, 5D MK III, M5, 7D, 85 f/1.4 IS L, 15 fisheye, 16-35 f/4 IS L, 50 f/1.4 USM, 35 f/2 IS, EF-M 22 STM, 70-200 f/2.8 IS L MK II, Nifty Fifty & Shorty Forty, EF-S 10-22 USM, 24-105 IS L, 100 IS L Macro, 2X Extender MK III, EF-S 24 Pancake.

BillB

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2018, 08:47:20 PM »

That would be nuts. The M mount is for an app-c size sensor. It would be, in no way, appropriate for a full size sensor. Why would someone think that work?

Well, the EF-M has almost  exactly the same throat diameter and flange distance as the E mount that Sony is using on its full frame cameras.  Since the measurements work for Sony, it doesn't seem unreasonable to think that Canon could use EF-M mount for fullframe mirrorless as well.

Don Haines

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2018, 08:50:45 PM »

Well, the EF-M has almost  exactly the same throat diameter and flange distance as the E mount that Sony is using on its full frame cameras.  Since the measurements work for Sony, it doesn't seem unreasonable to think that Canon could use EF-M mount for fullframe mirrorless as well.

and sony gives you more vignetting at longer focal lengths...
The best camera is the one in your hands

fullstop

• EOS 80D
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2018, 09:54:38 PM »
Canon EF-M mount might possibly be "force-fit" for FF [similar to Sony E-mount, involving major design compromises], but it was definitely developed for APS-C only and not with FF in mind. At least that's what the Canon people in charge of EOS M / EF-M said.  :)

- Where is the most important factor in developing a new mount called "EF - M"?
Nakamura: It is a mount diameter that satisfies the APS - C size image circle properly, but also to make it possible to realize small size and light weight. In addition, the operation feeling such as attaching and detaching the lens is designed to be the same as the EF mount.

- EF-M mount. The mount diameter is also reduced from the EF mount
Can the EF-M mount correspond to sensors larger than APS - C size, eg 35 mm full size sensor?
Kikuchi: I think that I can not do that. I can not say that if I do something strange, I will not physically enter ... .... It is a level that the amount of marginal light falls considerably or that you do not know what the image will look like. 

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/20120810_551672.html

captainkanji

• EOS 80D
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2018, 11:27:38 PM »
A mirrorless in a 5DIV body would be cool.  You could put something like internal ND filters in between the lens and sensor with the saved space.  Maybe that's crazy science fiction talk.
Canon 6D, Meike battery grip, Black Rapid Strap
Sigma 24 Art, EF 40mm f/2.8, EF 50mm f/1.4, EF 135mm f/2L USM, 430EX II Speedlite
HDR photos look best when I can't see them.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2018, 11:27:38 PM »

sanj

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2018, 01:02:26 AM »
Why make a DSLR form factor with focus on video??? Such form factor cameras are for photography first....

Whats not to like: Interchangeable lens video camera in a much smaller package. Does both photos and videos well and easily. One camera to do it all reasonably well... Sounds great to me

Do you shoot video much? I mean have you shot video with a dedicated video camera? DSLR form factor is for still photos first.

Talys

• EOS-1D X Mark II
  • Canon 6DII
« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2018, 02:14:34 AM »
To think of 5d4 mirrorless, but NOT part of EOS - now THAT is going to be a challenging task. wtf.

Exactly what I was thinking - how do you reconcile that it will be like a mirrorless 5dIV but not part of the EOS system?

Maybe because it doesn't LOOK like an EOS?

A video-centric EFM full frame that's like a 5DIV is cool; but whether I'm interested would depend on how much like a 5DIV it is:

1) how well it works as a stills camera
2) how much it works like a 5DIV (the more, the better), and how similar the controls are to it (particularly, the right hand controls)
3) how ergonomically and technically well it works with larger EF lenses

With regards to the video-centric part, it could do a cropped 640x480 1 fps in 8 shades of grey and I'd be ok with it :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2018, 02:14:34 AM »