Rumors > Lenses

16-35 f/2.8II vs 17-40 f/4

<< < (8/10) > >>

pwp:

--- Quote from: kraats on April 19, 2013, 08:40:29 PM ---16-35 II is by far the best. No spint. It is tag sharp from corner to corner.

--- End quote ---
Even at f/2.8? If so you must have an awesome copy.

-PW

Marsu42:

--- Quote from: insanitybeard on April 19, 2013, 06:10:45 AM ---and used on a crop body it's not suffering the same drop off in resolution or vignetting at the corners as it does on a FF body at the wide end, wide open!

--- End quote ---

... only that correcting vignetting in post is really easy and with no problems unless the vignette was -3ev, but you cannot raise sharpness in post (yet :-)). As for the much discussed corner sharpness, well, I haven't got a ff body (again: yet :-p) but looking at my current shots it doesn't really matter.

Krob78:
Does anyone have any experience with the Tokina 16-28mm f/2.8 FX on Full Frame that they could share?  Looks to be quite capable and fairly on par with the 16-35mm but just not sure.  I do a lot of paid, indoor Real Estate photography and previously used a Tokina 11-16mm f/2.i with image stabilization on my 7D with outstanding results but didn't love the fit and finish of the lens compared with my L glass. 

I'm now shooting my interiors with my 5D3 and being FF it's a different beast altogether for UWA lenses.  So I'm not sure if I should just fork out the extra $$ for the 16-35mm II or get the Tokina 16-28m, which doesn't accept filters either, if I want to jump to some landscape work with it...

Thanks, I value your opinions and especially any experience you may have with this newer Tokina lens.

All the best!  :D

Kernuak:

--- Quote from: insanitybeard on April 19, 2013, 06:10:45 AM ---
--- Quote from: Marsu42 on April 19, 2013, 04:02:21 AM ---As usual, "more expensive is better" applies here, though as far as I read it not for f8-f11 landscape shots. If you use uwa a lot, the 16-35 might be the better choice, but often it'll be used in a combo with a 24-70 lens - and then it gets more difficult: 16-35+cheap 24-70 or 17-40+expensive 24-70? That's why I've got the 17-40, and at f8 I'm happy so far, it's a good iq (even on crop) and sturdy internal zoom lens.

--- End quote ---

I use the 17-40 on crop as well, as my general purpose lens. Well built, sealed and performs well, and used on a crop body it's not suffering the same drop off in resolution or vignetting at the corners as it does on a FF body at the wide end, wide open!

--- End quote ---
When I only used crop, the 17-40 was one of my most used lenses, but once I switched to FF for landscapes, it rarely found a use, except for some more creative ideas, as the corners are simply not good enough on FF, even at f/8-f/16. Mind you, the 24-105 suffers form the same deficiencies between about 24-30mm, but then I now use the 24mm f/1.4 MkII for landscapes at 24mm.

insanitybeard:

--- Quote from: Kernuak on June 22, 2013, 05:40:28 PM ---When I only used crop, the 17-40 was one of my most used lenses, but once I switched to FF for landscapes, it rarely found a use, except for some more creative ideas, as the corners are simply not good enough on FF, even at f/8-f/16. Mind you, the 24-105 suffers form the same deficiencies between about 24-30mm, but then I now use the 24mm f/1.4 MkII for landscapes at 24mm.

--- End quote ---

This is why when I eventually go full frame I'll also need to get a better wide angle zoom than the 17-40 I already own, otherwise I could just get a 6D and be done with it. I'm not saying you can't get decent ultrawide shots with the 17-40 on full frame, but especially for landscape use, seeing how the corner resolution falls off even using it on a crop body, I can only imagine how it would be on full frame. Interestingly this is more apparent to me for landscape work at infinity focus than it is for closer subjects. For this reason I am interested to see what becomes of the rumour rumor that Canon may have a new ultrawide zoom coming to market sometime in the medium term future.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version