July 30, 2014, 09:48:18 AM

Author Topic: Canon 18-45 f/3.5-5.6 Kit Lens for APS-C Mirrorless Patent  (Read 14901 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
Canon 18-45 f/3.5-5.6 Kit Lens for APS-C Mirrorless Patent
« on: February 20, 2012, 09:57:53 AM »

Canon Mirrorless Fun

A patent showing  an 18-45 f/3.5-5.6 kit lens for an APS-C sensored mirrorless camera has appeared. That would be a 29mm-70mm lens when crop is factored in.

Source: [EG]

cr

DeliciousStumbleUponDiggTwitterMixxTechnoratiFacebookNews VineRedditLinkedInYahoo! Bookmarks
canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

Canon 18-45 f/3.5-5.6 Kit Lens for APS-C Mirrorless Patent
« on: February 20, 2012, 09:57:53 AM »

maxxevv

Re: Canon 18-45 f/3.5-5.6 Kit Lens for APS-C Mirrorless Patent
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 10:08:41 AM »
Think the prayers of a lot of mirrorless advocates have been answered !  :D

paulc

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 10:13:16 AM »
Gimme an EF compatible body and a pancake prime for taking on vacation and I'll be a happy happy man.

briansquibb

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 10:16:48 AM »

That is the start of the future of APS-C with its gradual move into the consumer arena. Imagine a mirrorless 7D equivalent and then wonder if there is a future for the DSLR 7D as well?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 10:18:23 AM by briansquibb »

melbournite

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 10:18:16 AM »
Sounds nice but I don't think I would buy it.  My choice of compact camera three or four years ago was the Lumix LX3 but since I got myself an iPhone a couple of years ago (and especially the iPhone 4S), I haven't used it at all.  Mostly because it's with me 24/7 and comes in handy when I'm not carrying my 5DII or 7D.

So, I don't think I would be in the market for a Canon Mirrorless although I'm sure it would be lots of fun.

Kiran

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 10:19:01 AM »
Gimme an EF compatible body and a pancake prime for taking on vacation and I'll be a happy happy man.

I agree, EF compatible body is what I am waiting for in the mirror less camera from Canon, I have seen EF adapters for other mirror less cameras in the market but it would be nice if Canon released one with EF and EFS mount

About this new lens 18-45mm, it would have been nice if they had provided 24 - 70mm instead of 29 to 70mm

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 10:23:16 AM »
Good it is APS-C and no less. This is kit zoom and it doesn't exclude better lenses. I also think this is the future of entry level DSLR successors' line.
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 10:23:16 AM »

paulc

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 10:50:02 AM »
About this new lens 18-45mm, it would have been nice if they had provided 24 - 70mm instead of 29 to 70mm

There may be a serious physical size consideration here.  It's already APS-C.  Given what the patent shows I'm already kinda worried it will look like a half of a can of soda hanging off a deck of cards.  The whole package needs to be small or else it's pointless.

maxxevv

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 11:15:08 AM »

There may be a serious physical size consideration here.  It's already APS-C.  Given what the patent shows I'm already kinda worried it will look like a half of a can of soda hanging off a deck of cards.  The whole package needs to be small or else it's pointless.

I'm not so sure what the outcome will be but I think Canon seems to have pulled all the stops in miniaturizing the lens design. Typical back focus for EF lenses are in the range of 40-70mm range. But this one apparently has a "0.5mm" back focus. Which means an extremely rear plane ! Typically, a lens with a very close rear plane can be made smaller to cover the same image circle.   

I wonder how this compares to other mirrorless systems or maybe even the Leica M system ?   Anyone has any clues what are the back focus of other mirrorless systems like the NEX  ?

thejoyofsobe

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 11:25:51 AM »
i'm thinking the G1X with its APS-C sensor is the precursor to Canon's mirrorless, interchangeable lens debut, kind of like the Fuji's X100 was to the X-Pro1. next year the new model G series comes with a lens mount and hopefully a built-in electronic viewfinder.

stabmasterasron

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 11:38:52 AM »

I'm not so sure what the outcome will be but I think Canon seems to have pulled all the stops in miniaturizing the lens design. Typical back focus for EF lenses are in the range of 40-70mm range. But this one apparently has a "0.5mm" back focus. Which means an extremely rear plane ! Typically, a lens with a very close rear plane can be made smaller to cover the same image circle.   

I wonder how this compares to other mirrorless systems or maybe even the Leica M system ?   Anyone has any clues what are the back focus of other mirrorless systems like the NEX  ?

I agree.  I am worried it will look like the Sony NEX system.  Sure the body is small, but the lenses are still large because of the sensor.  Not sure how miniaturizing the body helps when the lenses are still large.  Just makes working with the body harder as it is small and has fewer external controls.

Ricku

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 11:45:14 AM »
Sounds nice but I don't think I would buy it.  My choice of compact camera three or four years ago was the Lumix LX3 but since I got myself an iPhone a couple of years ago (and especially the iPhone 4S), I haven't used it at all.  Mostly because it's with me 24/7 and comes in handy when I'm not carrying my 5DII or 7D.

So, I don't think I would be in the market for a Canon Mirrorless although I'm sure it would be lots of fun.
Agreed. The Iphone is the only compact camera I'll ever want / need.

mkln

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 11:53:05 AM »

I agree.  I am worried it will look like the Sony NEX system.  Sure the body is small, but the lenses are still large because of the sensor.  Not sure how miniaturizing the body helps when the lenses are still large.  Just makes working with the body harder as it is small and has fewer external controls.

size doesnt really matter if the whole package is still small enough
I'm using a NEX 5n with a voigtlander 35 1.2 M-mount, and the whole thing weights 600g, but size-wise it's as large as the nex with the kit lens. of course that means it's larger than a compact camera, but I can still put the NEX in my bag/backpack without even feeling it.
now try do the same with a 5d2+85 1.2 (but even with a 50 1.4 - which you risk breaking if you dont use the hood btw)

the trick is considering the 3 dimensions, so it is true, NEX+kit is long because of the lens, but the height is really small compared to, say, X100 or Xpro1 or G1x. you can just position the NEX differently and it's still compact.

by the way, the patented lens looks small, but has no IS and is 5.6 at 45mm. that's still ok provided that it really is small.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 11:53:05 AM »

RC

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 11:56:19 AM »
Excuse me for coming off ignorant, but what is with all the hype over mirror-less cameras.  I'm serious, what am I missing?  I get the part of less mechanical, maybe higher shutter speeds (maybe not), but what about the loss of a "real" viewfinder?   

Yes, I know mirror-less have been around on and off for years, but I don't understand what market they're aimed at.  Is this to compete with the P&S market, DSLR, market or its own?  It seems to me they're targeted towards the hip, got-to-have-the-lastest, the in-thing, trendy market--at least that is what I get from the Sony commercials.

Please, someone enlighten me. ???
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 12:32:13 PM by RC »

marekjoz

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • marekjoz @flickr
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 12:13:05 PM »
Excuse me for coming off ignorant, but what is with all the hype over mirror-less cameras.  I'm serious, what am I missing?  I get the part of less mechanical, maybe higher shutter speeds (maybe not), but what about the loss of a "real" viewfinder?   

Yes, I know mirror-less have been around on and off for years, but I don't understand what market they're aimed at.  Is this to compete with the P&S market, DSLR, market or its own?  It seems to me they targeted towards the hip, got-to-have-the-lastest, the in-thing, trendy market.

Please, someone enlighten me. ???

See Leica M9...
flickr | youtube | 5D2, 50 F/1.4, 24-105 F/4 L IS, 300 F/4 L IS, x1.4 II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 12:13:05 PM »