June 24, 2018, 08:40:41 PM

Author Topic: What's Next From Canon?  (Read 13198 times)

Mikehit

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
Re: What's Next From Canon?
« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2018, 03:14:00 AM »
Here's what's coming next from my MULTIPLE Euro-sources:

So what you are saying is that no-one knows what Canon are doing with their upcoming mirrorless camera - but one thing that is certain is that it will have a sensor of one size or another

That they are making a medium format camera with a data throughput that smacks the 1Dx2 into the long grass. Despite there not being a single rumour elsewhere that I can find

And despite the tech industry being a hotbed of rumours and investments, you are the only one in the world giving credence on the internet to stories of a takeover. or is it a joint venture? Or have they agreed to swap Christmas cards? You were saying only a few short weeks ago it was a takeover, and now you don't know.

So when you say your sources have been 'rather reliable' for you in the past, what you really mean is that they are acting than little more than a rumour site.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: June 13, 2018, 03:14:00 AM »

HarryFilm

• EOS M5
« Reply #91 on: June 13, 2018, 04:08:08 AM »
Here's what's coming next from my MULTIPLE Euro-sources:

So what you are saying is that no-one knows what Canon are doing with their upcoming mirrorless camera - but one thing that is certain is that it will have a sensor of one size or another

That they are making a medium format camera with a data throughput that smacks the 1Dx2 into the long grass. Despite there not being a single rumour elsewhere that I can find

And despite the tech industry being a hotbed of rumours and investments, you are the only one in the world giving credence on the internet to stories of a takeover. or is it a joint venture? Or have they agreed to swap Christmas cards? You were saying only a few short weeks ago it was a takeover, and now you don't know.

So when you say your sources have been 'rather reliable' for you in the past, what you really mean is that they are acting than little more than a rumour site.

---

The Medium Format camera has been in testing for quite a long time - I've seen the photos of it from Germany! It looks like stretched-out 1Dx Mk2 in the vertical and horizontal and quite-a-bit THICKER front to back! It has a HUGE mount getting pretty close to the size of the very large format Alexa-65 video camera mount.

The Mirrorless M5-look-alike is a bit more nebulous in specs but the number of statements made by engineering and finance indicates a short flange and 4:2:2 10 bits stills/video. Based upon what I see in my rumour mill arena, I am erring on the side that it will be an APS-C sensor rather than a full frame camera.

The Apple/Canon thing is from finance types who say there are activist shareholders in Apple who are pressuring the Apple board to spend some money in ways OTHER THAN a share buyback so as to get the market excited allowing the Apple stock price to rise.

The TWO names that consistently pop up are Canon and Texas Instruments and from a TECHNOLOGY point of view, they BOTH make sense for Apple to buy, especially since BOTH Canon and TI have chip building technology allowing Apple to bring RAM/CPU/GPU chip production entirely in-house! Canon would cost Apple about $55 Billion US and Texas Instruments could be had for $25 Billion US! The technology side rumors have LATELY been saying that Apple wants to buy large sensors from Canon for a new Large Sensor Smartphone while OTHER rumor mill engineers are saying it is Canon that wants to bring out the large image sensor smartphone. At this point I have to step back and say that a new large sensor smartphone IS COMING but what logo it will have i still don't know with any certainty! But what I AM certain of is that the image sensor will be AT LEAST a one-inch sensor maybe even APS-C size !!!

I do have though an almost ironclad proof that Apple and Canon executives HAVE been talking at very high levels for SOME type of agreement! (I won't mention what that is though because of the source's sensitive position!) Are those talks regarding a complete buyout/takeover OR is it a joint venture meetup to merely exchange patents? Based upon my finance-type sources, I am saying that the talks are about a COMPLETE PURCHASE of Canon by Apple rather than just a joint venture/patent exchange agreement!

My sources also predicted a Global Shutter C700 and they NAILED it's feature set dead-on! They also nailed the fact that the C500 would be left as is and 4K video would come to the C300 Mk2 instead. They are saying now on the video side that  DCI 8K (8192x4380 pixels) 60 fps Global Shutter video is coming to a C300/C500 Cinema EOS body style at its current S35 sensor-style/size AND the C700 will receive an 8K Full Frame Global Shutter sensor at NAB 2019!

They also predicted the XC-10/XC-15 video cameras and I suspect they are PROBABLY CORRECT on the coming update which is to be interchangeable lens with 4:2:2 10-bit 60 fps codec on a one inch 4K video sensor and 20 megapixels for stills! This MAY be announced at Photokina 2018

Now of course, all we can do is WAIT until Photokina and NAB 2019 !!!!

or until Apple and Canon make a joint announcement (or NOT!)

Anyways, you ARE ALLOWED to take my statements with a grain or a million of salt!

BUT....WE SHALL SEE !!!!!

AGAIN! YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST !!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 04:12:16 AM by HarryFilm »

unfocused

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Mark Gordon Communications
« Reply #92 on: June 13, 2018, 09:35:33 AM »
Harry,

On 29th April, you said:

...BUT...

we DO have another software surprise for you which should be happening right around this coming Wednesday....

Well it's now over a week later than you indicated, and we're still waiting.

So...? Have you got anything, or not?

(I think we know the answer.)

Still waiting...

June 5. Still waiting....

June 13. Still waiting...

Mikehit

« Reply #93 on: June 13, 2018, 10:08:10 AM »
there are activist shareholders in Apple who are pressuring the Apple board to spend some money in ways OTHER THAN a share buyback

So it is not even a rumour about Canon, but a rumour that 'activist shareholders' (who are arguably the most dangerous of the bunch) are pressuring Apple to spend money. The best way to apply pressure is to make it public! But no-one has.
Jeez.

ahsanford

• Canon EF 800mm f/5.6L IS
  • USM > STM
« Reply #94 on: June 13, 2018, 11:19:43 AM »

Again:  Next. level. paint. is being huffed in dangerous quantities here.

The reality Harry lives in has got to be amazing.  Like an alternate universe where Freaks and Geeks and Firefly didn't get cancelled in their first seasons.  Like a place where drywall tastes delicious and there is a Professional Hugging League that overtakes soccer as the world's #1 sport.  Like a place where we're on the EF 50 f/1.4 IS USM IV by now.   ;)

- A

HarryFilm

• EOS M5
« Reply #95 on: June 13, 2018, 04:17:38 PM »
Harry,

On 29th April, you said:

...BUT...

we DO have another software surprise for you which should be happening right around this coming Wednesday....

Still waiting...

===

BECAUSE I CAN"T TALK ABOUT IT !!!! GET IT !!!!

When YOU design and code a 4:4:4/4:2:2/4:1:1/4:2:0 High-Frame-Rate up-to-16-bits per colour channel Codec with multichannel audio, video and metadata streaming capability and is platform-independent AND THEN sell it to a large corporation...THEN YOU CAN ASK WHAT'S UP -- Otherwise (*^$*#&^*&$*&!@&*$($(*!@$&* !!!!!!

slclick

« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2018, 04:19:44 PM »

Again:  Next. level. paint. is being huffed in dangerous quantities here.

The reality Harry lives in has got to be amazing.  Like an alternate universe where Freaks and Geeks and Firefly didn't get cancelled in their first seasons.  Like a place where drywall tastes delicious and there is a Professional Hugging League that overtakes soccer as the world's #1 sport.  Like a place where we're on the EF 50 f/1.4 IS USM IV by now.   ;)

- A

You had to bring up Firefly.
I wear my 'I don't shoot video ' badge proudly

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: June 13, 2018, 04:19:44 PM »

Adelino

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #97 on: June 13, 2018, 04:23:17 PM »
Larger cameras will always remain an option. But Canon already has some great large DSLR camera bodies, what they don't have right now is a compact FF camera. Give people choice.

I fail to see why two different camps of the market (I want it small vs. I want it seamless) is a problem.  Divide and conquer.  Two different camps = at least two different bodies someday for Canon to build lines out of.  Easy peasy.

So we'll get both, I believe, but I think the first go will be (effectively) a very small rig in the 6D2 / A7 III sort of space.

But a full EF mount mirrorless for working professionals may very well happen down the road.

- A

I agree, two mounts are do-able.

Mikehit

« Reply #98 on: June 13, 2018, 04:40:51 PM »
Harry,

On 29th April, you said:

...BUT...

Still waiting...

===

When YOU design and code a 4:4:4/4:2:2/4:1:1/4:2:0 High-Frame-Rate up-to-16-bits per colour channel Codec with multichannel audio, video and metadata streaming capability and is platform-independent AND THEN sell it to a large corporation...THEN YOU CAN ASK WHAT'S UP -- Otherwise (*^$*#&^*&$*&!@&*$($(*!@$&* !!!!!!

But you did talk about it.
And if I recall correctly you were happy to release it for the benefit of the unfortunate customer (stated and re-iterated!). Now you've gone all corporate on us.

AND TO RE-ITERATE, this will be ALL FREE and OPEN SOURCE for your technical pleasures and use on your cameras!  Leave comments below as to what features YOU WANT and I will see what I can do...
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 04:43:35 PM by Mikehit »

HarryFilm

• EOS M5
« Reply #99 on: June 13, 2018, 04:57:36 PM »
These are the Media Merger Headlines in the last two days:

"Judge Approves $85 Billion AT&T and Time Warner Merger!"

"Comcast Bids $65 Billion for 21st Century Fox"

---

The AT&T Anti-trust court case decision allowing the deal to go ahead NOW means large media conglomerates will be able to merge without fear of excessive anti-trust oversight and review delays.

The NEXT Deals that are in the Works within the Coming Weeks and Months:

"Apple Buys Canon for $55 Billion" ...OR... "Apple Buys Texas Instruments for $25 Billion"

"Sony and Microsoft in $20 Billion Joint Venture Agreement"

"Disney Buys Microsoft X-Box Division for $8 Billion"

"Sony/Microsoft Buys Sigma for $5 Billion"

"Nikon and Fujifilm Merge in $15 Billion Deal"

"Bertelsmann and Facebook Merger Creates USA/Euro Media Giant"

"Viacom and Walt Disney in Talks to Merge"

REMEMBER !!! YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST !!!!!!!!!!!

HarryFilm

• EOS M5
« Reply #100 on: June 13, 2018, 05:08:12 PM »
Harry,

On 29th April, you said:

...BUT...

Still waiting...

===

But you did talk about it.
And if I recall correctly you were happy to release it for the benefit of the unfortunate customer (stated and re-iterated!). Now you've gone all corporate on us.

AND TO RE-ITERATE, this will be ALL FREE and OPEN SOURCE for your technical pleasures and use on your cameras!  Leave comments below as to what features YOU WANT and I will see what I can do...

===

It's no longer my problem...when the company heard about what I was doing, I was informed rather stridently as to the very strict corporate policies and that it's NOT my decision(s) to make as to what to do with the codec code I developed....it's THE COMPANY'S PEROGATIVE as to what to do with the code I create! They have a larger contingent of very expensive lawyers than I do!

I should note, I'm not complaining...it's a decent exchange for my silence and acquiescence..........!!! Oh Well! It's another peon crushed underneath the giant corporate yoke !!!

....AND I SHOULD NOTE --- LIFE JUST ISN'T FAIR, IS IT ???

« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 05:31:36 PM by HarryFilm »

Mikehit

« Reply #101 on: June 13, 2018, 05:55:12 PM »

===

It's no longer my problem...when the company heard about what I was doing, I was informed rather stridently as to the very strict corporate policies and that it's NOT my decision(s) to make as to what to do with the codec code I developed....it's THE COMPANY'S PEROGATIVE as to what to do with the code I create! They have a larger contingent of very expensive lawyers than I do!

I should note, I'm not complaining...it's a decent exchange for my silence and acquiescence..........!!! Oh Well! It's another peon crushed underneath the giant corporate yoke !!!

....AND I SHOULD NOTE --- LIFE JUST ISN'T FAIR, IS IT ???

So were you doing it solo or were you using company resources? It all sounds rather odd to me and you were not being particularly open about what was going on.

zim

• EOS-1D X Mark II
« Reply #102 on: June 13, 2018, 05:58:21 PM »
From what I understand, the DSP processing onboard is 20-bits per channel digitizing down to 16-bits per colour channel at 4:4:4/4:2:2 wavelet-based stills AND 4:4:4/4:2:2 INTERFRAME and INTRAFRAME encoded full-sensor downsampled 4k video at 60 fps!

Hey Harry, is that your codec sold to Canon? Hope not cause bad Canon will cripple all your good work and Mode dial will hate you for ever.  :'(

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: June 13, 2018, 05:58:21 PM »

unfocused

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • Mark Gordon Communications
« Reply #103 on: June 13, 2018, 07:40:18 PM »
Harry,

On 29th April, you said:

...BUT...

Still waiting...

===

Quit changing your story. Your original quote refers to a free software surprise you promised to unveil after you claimed you could not release your magic codec. You made it very clear that this surprise was independent of your magic codec and would be released as compensation for your deceiving everyone about the magic codec.

Clearly, you got nothing and now are trying to claim you never made such claims.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 07:42:22 PM by unfocused »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
« Reply #104 on: June 13, 2018, 08:16:51 PM »
Quote from: unfocused link=topic=35173.msg724274#msg724274 date=
Clearly, you got nothing and now are trying to claim you never made such claims.
[/quote

I'd recommend just ignoring him.  It's abundantly clear that he's fabricating all this bullish!t as a pathetic attempt to gain attention and notoriety, and responding to him merely plays into that and feeds his psychoses. 
EOS 1D X, EOS M6, lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: June 13, 2018, 08:16:51 PM »