September 01, 2014, 04:15:53 AM

Author Topic: From NL: NDAs expiring on the 2nd of March  (Read 9374 times)

well_dunno

• 7D
    • View Profile
Re: From NL: NDAs expiring on the 2nd of March
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 02:45:43 PM »
Also, I do imagine Olympic games were one of the considerations for 1DX - more aimed at photojournalism...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 02:45:43 PM »

april

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 05:53:00 PM »
Over at NL we read:

"20th We've hearing of NDAs expiring on the 2nd of March.
Now we also hear of a 5D3 (and only a 5D3) spec for a launch on the 2nd
22MP, 6fps, 61 focus points (41 cross) same as 1DX system
100-25600 Basic ISO 1024k dots LCD display 3:2 wide (or 3.2" ?)
Best Video quality in a DSLR.
After several different suggestions pointing to the start of March I'm wondering if we will indeed get an announcement on the 2nd. Fridays are not a traditional day for announcements, but perhaps we will see a 5D3 celebrating 25 years of EOS?"

this spec would be very nice and very much welcome for me but thinking of 61 pt. AF plus 6 fps I doubt this will happen as this will greatly affect the sales of 1dx. I recon  that if 61 pt AF will be put on the a 5d upgrade then we'll get a low fps with it.

mathino

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 07:09:56 PM »
this spec would be very nice and very much welcome for me but thinking of 61 pt. AF plus 6 fps I doubt this will happen as this will greatly affect the sales of 1dx. I recon  that if 61 pt AF will be put on the a 5d upgrade then we'll get a low fps with it.

Why not ? If you check: native ISO is half of 1D-X, FPS is half of 1D-X - so I doubt it would affect sales of 1D-X. Professional photogs (sports, wildlife, bird guys) need such high FPS and good-high-ISO body. And market for 1D-X  (as for all 1D series) is a lot smaller than for 5D Mk III (or whatever it will be).

Canon just can push the price a little higher - around 3000 USD (and no, this will not be competitor to D800 - it is a completly differnet camera). Prices for new 5D Mk II here in Slovakia are around 1800 € so I can imagine new one selling at 2500-2800 € with those specs.

Putting in such features like this pro AF and 6 FPS is wise:
- 7D users would be tempted because of high ISO capabilities and FF
- 5D Mk II users would be tempted because of pro AF, better high ISO and more FPS
- Canon would earn a lot of money, because such body will be selling like crazy (unless you want zilion Mpx)
- and introducing high Mpx body (a split in the line/new line) later will gain even more customers

That are my 0.02 cents.

P.S.:
There was a price increase for 5D Mk II - it was at 1770 € like 2 week ago - now at 1800 € - I really do not know if it indicates something. Just wnated to share that info with you.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 07:17:13 PM by mathino »
6D (on the way) | 450D | EF 28 f/1.8 USM | EF 40 f/2.8 STM | EF 85 f/1.8 USM | 430 EX II | wishlist: EF 24-70 f/2.8 L II USM, EF 135 f/2 L

YellowJersey

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 09:41:27 PM »
I appreciate CR guy is in Ecuador testing his new 5D3/X  :) :) - but he has remained some what quiet over the last few days, posting non '5D' stuff almost as a diversion.

I'm hoping he's enjoying those 30+mp pictures from his 5DX and that 1DX AF on his 5D3  8)

Bet he'll be back for next week just as it all gets really busy.

Idle fact or cold hard speculation? :P

Waterdonkey

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 10:31:13 PM »
Um, what is a NDA? ???

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 10:36:08 PM »
Um, what is a NDA? ???

Non-disclosure agreement. Agreement that you will honor any media embargo and not go blabbing things around.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

SomeGuyInNewJersey

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 11:15:55 PM »
I wonder if Apples rumored announcement of an iPad 3 on March may affect Canons choice of timing on the 5d3 announcement?

Rumors on rumors of rumors affecting other rumors I know... but just a thought.

Even though not a dslr camera and iPad 3 release would certainly overload all the tech media for a couple fo days around it...

Maybe thats why a Canon date of the Friday is being thrown around. Either Canon (or just the rumor people) think Canon get in a few days before Apple so they can get some publicity on the 5d3 before Apple talk fills every tech website, newspaper column and other media slots...

As I say just a thought... Idle speculation... nothing more...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 11:15:55 PM »

dilbert

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2012, 12:41:55 AM »
I'm hoping for 20-somethinig MP ... the Nikon camp is currently in a dither because Nikon is saying that need to use it with a tripod nearly all the time! lolz

moreorless

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2012, 12:54:14 AM »

Why not ? If you check: native ISO is half of 1D-X, FPS is half of 1D-X - so I doubt it would affect sales of 1D-X. Professional photogs (sports, wildlife, bird guys) need such high FPS and good-high-ISO body. And market for 1D-X  (as for all 1D series) is a lot smaller than for 5D Mk III (or whatever it will be).

Canon just can push the price a little higher - around 3000 USD (and no, this will not be competitor to D800 - it is a completly differnet camera). Prices for new 5D Mk II here in Slovakia are around 1800 € so I can imagine new one selling at 2500-2800 € with those specs.

Putting in such features like this pro AF and 6 FPS is wise:
- 7D users would be tempted because of high ISO capabilities and FF
- 5D Mk II users would be tempted because of pro AF, better high ISO and more FPS
- Canon would earn a lot of money, because such body will be selling like crazy (unless you want zilion Mpx)
- and introducing high Mpx body (a split in the line/new line) later will gain even more customers

That are my 0.02 cents.

I'd add that the 1DX seems more obviously focused on those sports, jurno, wildlife users than the 1Ds Mk3 was. The latters problem was I'd say that because it was also partly aimed at the studio/landscape market alot of those users didnt need its extra features so just bought a 5D mk2 instead.

te4o

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 01:16:13 AM »
dilbert, could you post the link to this "D800 only on tripod" info, this is smth I have been expecting with the high MP bodies. Are there reviewers already?
5D3 (04/12), Carl Zeiss ZE 21, 35/1.4, 50MP, 100MP
Canon 135/2, Sigma 85/1.4
SONY RX100

waving_odd

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2012, 01:45:05 AM »
dilbert, could you post the link to this "D800 only on tripod" info, this is smth I have been expecting with the high MP bodies. Are there reviewers already?

http://www.nikonusa.com/en_US/o/Y6wrkA9OU_z04IreazIXl_22UII/PDF/D800_TechnicalGuide_En.pdf

"...At the high resolutions offered by the D800/D800E, even the slightest camera motion can result in blur. The technique revealed in this section minimizes blur through a combination of live view photography and a tripod..."

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2012, 02:16:43 AM »
LOL that will upset a few wedding photographers

Landscape / billboard printers will be in heaven
APS-H Fanboy

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2012, 02:23:21 AM »
I'm hoping for 20-somethinig MP ... the Nikon camp is currently in a dither because Nikon is saying that need to use it with a tripod nearly all the time! lolz

And what of the 7D? 60d? 50d? Nobody ever uses them hand-held? Hah, they all have higher photosite density than the D800!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2012, 02:23:21 AM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2012, 02:27:22 AM »

And what of the 7D? 60d? 50d? Nobody ever uses them hand-held? Hah, they all have higher photosite density than the D800!

shhhhh dont go ruining a good story with crazy stuff like facts :P
APS-H Fanboy

briansquibb

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2012, 03:15:38 AM »

I'd add that the 1DX seems more obviously focused on those sports, jurno, wildlife users than the 1Ds Mk3 was. The latters problem was I'd say that because it was also partly aimed at the studio/landscape market alot of those users didnt need its extra features so just bought a 5D mk2 instead.

The 1d4 was the body for sports and wildlife shooter

The 1Ds3 was for studio and landscape as you say. The 1Ds3 has a lot of extra features over and above the 5D2. The headline feature was of course the AF with everyone latching on to the number of AF points etc.

However there are a lot of little features on the 1Ds3 that dont get into the reviews - such as the ability to select up to 8 af points for metering, metering on the af point rather than the centre point and so on.

Other minor things for landscapers might be the 7 shot bracketing

Plus of course the standard series 1 benefites such as weatherpoofing, dual cards etc

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2012, 03:15:38 AM »