July 20, 2018, 01:19:56 AM

Author Topic: German laws - new European "General Data Protection Regulation" (GDPR, DSGVO)  (Read 2706 times)

YuengLinger

• EOS-1D X Mark II
The law sounds extreme and paranoid.  But, considering the history...

canon rumors FORUM

LDS

• EOS 5DS R
The law sounds extreme and paranoid.  But, considering the history...

You should have missed the Facebook/Cambridge Analytica story, or the Equifax breach...

ethanz

• EOS 5D Mark IV
  • 1DX II
    • my website
I wonder if this law includes personal data protections against the government? Probably not ;)
1DX II, 16-35L f/4 IS, 24-70L f/2.8 II, 70-200L f/2.8 IS II, 200-400L f/4 IS w/1.4 EXT
http://ethanzentz.com/

YuengLinger

• EOS-1D X Mark II
But I doubt police and other government agencies are notifying all the people photographed in high resolution and put in databases. Of course they will never share those databases with other countries or corporations.

Mikehit

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
I wonder if this law includes personal data protections against the government? Probably not ;)

Oh, it includes it. Bu the problem with a lot of data protection legislation comes down to 'you can do what you want as long as you can justify it'. But all data protection legislation is in its infancy and there is no clear definition of what is justifiable. And, of course, the government can justify whatever it wants....

Hillsilly

• EOS 5DS R
You guys also have the vote on copyright changes coming up soon, too.  Interesting times for content creators.
Camera Obscura

mb66energy

• EOS 5DS R
    • My Homepage
Re: German laws - new German "Basic Data Protection Ordinance" (DSGVO)
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2018, 04:18:44 AM »
Maximilian: Thanks for providing these compact and very readable pieces of information!

I searched for my 1000x filter and if I want to take photographs of something surrounded by lots of people I will use that filter to blurr the people away for the case I want to use that photo on my home page!

[...]

BUT:
If you constantly film a scene in case a crime could happen (e.g. car dash cam) this again is forbidden.

As far as I know there is some gray zone: If the camera films constantly but stores only the last e.g. 10 minutes a dashcam system is accepted - and the video material can be used in a trial as body of evidence.
Most used tools: EOS 200D + EF-S 60mm + EF 100mm Macro + EF f/2.0 100  + 4.0 / 70-200 IS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2018, 04:18:44 AM »

Maximilian

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • The dark side - I've been there
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2018, 08:34:28 AM »
Maximilian: Thanks for providing these compact and very readable pieces of information!
You're welcome.

[...]
BUT:
If you constantly film a scene in case a crime could happen (e.g. car dash cam) this again is forbidden.

As far as I know there is some gray zone: If the camera films constantly but stores only the last e.g. 10 minutes a dashcam system is accepted - and the video material can be used in a trial as body of evidence.
This system (with storing only the last few minutes) is not finally decided by the highest courts.
With other systems that constantly films and stores you commit a crime but you are also allowed to use it as commit a crime.  ::) ::) ::)
Funny lawmakers, funny lawyers, funny judges.
sometimes you have to close your eyes to see properly.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2018, 08:34:28 AM »