July 30, 2014, 12:26:36 AM

Author Topic: How do body prices change over time?  (Read 3769 times)

WoodysGamertag

How do body prices change over time?
« on: February 21, 2012, 06:25:59 PM »
For those of you who've watched many Canon bodies come and go, how do their prices track over time?

In particular, I'm wondering if I preorder a 5D3 if I'll pay a substantial premium compared to the guys that waited 2 or 3 months?

I think we're getting close, it's time to come up with my game plan. :)

canon rumors FORUM

How do body prices change over time?
« on: February 21, 2012, 06:25:59 PM »

RedEye

Re: How do body prices change over time?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 08:00:21 PM »
tracking some of the last decade's releases - the further ahead they are the longer the initial pricing plateau.  So if the new FF camera is a 45MP 104000ISO 16BIT color dynamo... I think it's safe the say the price will float for at least a year or two.  I saw a N*k*n D700 on B&H listed for only about $300 less than the new D800 today.  So, in the case of the 5dII, if you're willing to wait four years to save maybe 25%, time is your friend.  I'm too much a capitalist.  :)

DBCdp

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 08:22:58 PM »
I bought my 5D MkII for $2699 on April 10, 2009, it's regular price today at Adorama is $2499 in the face of it's replacement. I got my 7D in March of 2011 for $1499. My original 5D was $2789 in Jan 2007. Just sold it in almost like new condition for $850 shipped with almost 50k clicks on it. My 20D was $1829.95 in Oct of 05.

« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 08:29:27 PM by DBCdp »

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 08:28:56 PM »
For a Camera like the 5D MK III, you will have to pre-order to get one in the first 3-6 months, then for the next few months, stock will be scarce, and at Christmas time from Nov thru Jan, stock will be out.  Then, after about 18 months, the price will start to drop $100 or so.

For Camera models that have yearly updates, like the Rebels, the drop in price is faster and more significant.

CJRodgers

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2012, 04:14:52 AM »
I noticed that the 5dmkii and the d700, both dropped 15 - 20% of their price in the first december of release (possibly in time for xmas). After that december they went back up and took years to come down in price to the same level again.

This is only based on amazons price but that is generally a good indication. There was also a very quick and smaller drop in price upon release.

Look at camelcamel to track the amazon price.

tt

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2012, 07:27:58 AM »
If you look the back up on camelcamelcamel or other sites you can see them change.
The 5D Mk II fluctuated a few £100/$100 in the first 1-3 months. Then it had a gradual drop in price (with its at Christmas, especially so this last Christmas).
The price I'd say had pretty muh bottomed out, with the bounce after start of January this year.
The 7D went down in price for new backs a lot faster and leveled out in price and had been similar for a long time.
Depends which line of cameras you're looking at.
Pries can go up - wg after release of a new model and after a promo period.

cadred

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 06:26:09 PM »
Answer: Not enough :P

I was wanting to buy a Canon 7D this month when my finances lined up. At the beginning of the month it was $1299.99 which is a decent price. Last week it shot back to $1599.99, a whopping $100 cheaper than if I would have purchased it in 2009.

Seriously Canon?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 06:26:09 PM »

WoodysGamertag

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2012, 02:56:57 PM »
Tho was really helpful, thanks.  The new 5D was just what I was hoping for (perfect if weathered sealed) so I guess I'll order it.

arioch82

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • flickr account
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 01:51:59 AM »
what about body quality?
are they like any other hardwares where the first models could be defectives?
Canon 5D MkII | Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM | Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS USM Macro | Samyang 14mm f/2.8 IF ED UMC | Canont 50mm f/1.4 USM | Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4.0-5.6 SP Di VC USD XLD

unruled

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 03:56:16 AM »
this is for the netherlands but take a look at the chart at the bottom
tweakers.net/pricewatch/223128/canon-eos-5d-mark-ii.html

CJRodgers

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 04:22:48 AM »
what about body quality?
are they like any other hardwares where the first models could be defectives?

Its hard to say. On one hand there could be a hardware failure but this would be recalled or easily exchanged. On the otherhand quality control is likely to be very tight for the first couple of batches where engineers usually oversee the process. This is how it works in other industrys anyways.

If future releases are like the 1dx where it keeps getting delayed, i wouldnt expect much trouble. It sounds like theyre making sure its perfect before release.

I think its most likely any problems could be fixed via firmware updates.

AmbientLight

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 04:53:01 AM »
Depending on where you are you may profit more by buying abroad than at home. Price differences are immense between some countries with very high price levels like Kuwait or Oman and others with lower price levels like Singapore. Of course this is feasible only in case you travel a lot, like I do, or in case you import through a specialized company handling customs and taxes.

Sudden price increases have recently occurred due to exchange rate corrections, so even in case you wait for initial prices to drop you may be in for a rude awakening based on your local currency or the Yen changing. This is I believe what Cadred described.

What is a really good tip as mentioned by CJRodjers and tt is to await a price reduction at Christmas time. This has worked fine for me in the past, allowing me to save a couple of hundred $.

JBL

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 05:42:56 AM »
You can look at canonpricewatch.com for price graphs across all major retailers.

e.g., 5D Mark II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 05:42:56 AM »