April 21, 2014, 11:16:54 AM

Author Topic: Availability (Based on past releases)?  (Read 3247 times)

tasteofjace

Availability (Based on past releases)?
« on: March 01, 2012, 09:38:09 AM »
I've never followed the release of a Canon Body release like I have the 5DMKIII, and it will be the first full frame camera that I've purchased. That is if the final specs warrant the price tag.

So I was hoping that those who are more familiar with Canon's routine of announcing new bodies could enlighten me of when a new body is usually available for purchase after it has been announced to the public?

canon rumors FORUM

Availability (Based on past releases)?
« on: March 01, 2012, 09:38:09 AM »

kidnaper

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Availability (Based on past releases)?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 02:11:27 PM »
With the 1D X being announced in, what, October with the release in April? I won't say it will be that drastic, but I'm assuming the Mk.III will start to trickle out in May, and I'll hopefully get my paws on one before June. That's just wishful thinking though. With supply and demand it may not be until this fall.
5DIII 8-200mm minus 35mm in there.

mws

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 02:19:28 PM »
With how popular the 5d MK II ended up being, one hopefully thinks Canon would take into account that the MK III will be popular and adjust production to match.

rambarra

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 02:40:06 PM »
5D2 in Italy was a pain in the ass to get. Announced sept 2008, we had very limited supply till feb/march 2009.
Then more or less ok till june 2009 then camera disappeared again just before summer hot season.

But this is also a marketing gimmick and not only the capacity to produce or not. Marketers love to have people desire something which they can't get. The price and expectation remain high, the perception of the value of the item is at the highest possible point. On the contrary high inventories create low prices and bad feelings into buyers. So be sure that, also with the 5d3, volumes to market will be accurately tweaked by Canon, based on a well tested strategy (and they are masters at it: look at the 5d2 after 3.5 years how many they are still selling)

well_dunno

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 03:05:47 PM »
5D2 in Italy was a pain in the ass to get. Announced sept 2008, we had very limited supply till feb/march 2009.
Then more or less ok till june 2009 then camera disappeared again just before summer hot season.

But this is also a marketing gimmick and not only the capacity to produce or not. Marketers love to have people desire something which they can't get. The price and expectation remain high, the perception of the value of the item is at the highest possible point. On the contrary high inventories create low prices and bad feelings into buyers. So be sure that, also with the 5d3, volumes to market will be accurately tweaked by Canon, based on a well tested strategy (and they are masters at it: look at the 5d2 after 3.5 years how many they are still selling)

Any dealers/online stores in Italy you would recommend?

Nikon

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 03:53:29 PM »
With the 1D X being announced in, what, October with the release in April? I won't say it will be that drastic, but I'm assuming the Mk.III will start to trickle out in May, and I'll hopefully get my paws on one before June. That's just wishful thinking though. With supply and demand it may not be until this fall.

I doubt and hope it will not be that late. D800 is out March 22 and D800E is out in April. So I would expect Canon would be working very hard to have the new 5D out by March.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 03:53:29 PM »