July 16, 2018, 03:39:53 PM

Author Topic: *UPDATE* The Next 5D on March 2, 2012 [CR3]  (Read 351480 times)

Picsfor

Re: The Next 5D on February 27/28, 2012 [CR3]
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2012, 05:56:35 PM »
I wonder how the marketing is going to spin the new 5D without the megapixels.

there must be something out there. I refuse to think that the rumors reflect all of the interesting stuff the new 5 is going to have.

purely photographic features like fps or autofocus are not good for marketing
- HD video was. now it's not good anymore, everybody has it
- resolution was. now it's not good for canon anymore, nikon has it.
- price/features ratio was. canon's first consumer digital dslr's had it, $3500? no thanks
- AF and FPS never have been. the 5d3 with 1dx AF? nikon always had pro fps in lesser bodies
- high ISO performance? yeah right, we only saw <1600ISO 1DX JPEGs at 18mp, what makes you think the 5d3 will be any better? I actually don't think even the 1DX will be that special.
- high DR performance? few people actually know what DR is, few realize what it means, and canon never had good DR. 2+ stop improvement is just not happening.

so what else? 4K video? never shot any video on my 5d2. maybe it would be useful for marketing. but it's not as big as first DSLR with HD video. video is already there. 4K is incremental. we know it's going to happen.
weather sealing? I'm happy with what the 5d2 offers (which is still something). not good for marketing.

there's also a whole list of features that are missing from 5d2 and I'm not sure whether or not canon will add to the 5d3. like programmable auto iso and auto iso in M mode.
and then everything from MagicLantern (if MagicLantern can do it, why can't Canon? Can't-on?

so I'm sure there will be improvements over 5d2. but they need some MARKETING thingy that everybody will talk about because "OMG LOOK at the new 5d3 it has #insertfeaturehere# let's not talk about the D800 anymore".

Marketing options:

The 22mp has been mentioned before as being an ideal figure for video purposes. Do you know how can training establishments buy 5D2's for training with, because it's so much cheaper than a full pro rig, and can provide almost the same results when used properly at a 5th of the price.

It still has dual card slot, which means it can still do double the video length that a 5D2 can

So, there's your first marketing gem. The D800 video is what?

AF system - if it is the exact version from the 1DX - um, i think that's a great marketing point for those who want 1DX for sports, wildlife etc but can't afford it. Oh hang, the 7D brigade won't be able to afford it? Yeah right - they'll make the stretch for the other features.

Nikon's AF system is what? Assuming the f8 feature will be sorted, the Nikon's will be trailing Canon in AF for the first time in a fair while - and you won't need a battery grip to get the extra FPS.

Talking of that Battery Grip - you know, the one that makes it look and feel just like a 1Dx with duplicated controls for portrait as well landscape mode?

How is Nikon's comparing to that? Oh it's not - it just bolts on the bottom and gives an extra few fps without and moulding for comfort? Damn, i thought you almost had me there!

22mp FF - yeah i know, that's a bitch isn't it? Not as good as 36mp, i'll give you that. But hang on - at what cost? Maybe Canon have a more rounded offer in the wing?

Do we know what ISO and DR this will be working with?

Do we know what price it will be coming out at?

So, we've killed off the D700 and D3, almost the D3s and the D4 - and this isn't even Canon's flagship camera.
Bugger, i thought this was a crumby replacement.

Such a shame it can't top 36mp. Oh hang on - that's all it can't do :o

Glad you don't work for Canon marketing, but i'm sure their whizz kids in Marketing have got even better spins on it than me...

Yeah, i'm now cleaning up all the kit that i don't need, including a pair of 5D2's to upgrade. Yeah, it's a real shitty upgrade isn't it! Be on to the local camera shop next week to pre-order mine!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2012, 05:56:35 PM »

Arkarch

• EOS M5
    • Karl Buiter Photography Ltd
« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2012, 05:57:05 PM »
On Price ...
I was just over at WPPI in Vegas and now back at my office down the street.   
I have not heard sirens and sounds of panic from wedding and portrait photographers...  yet...

Ok my thoughts.   I do expect a 10% break - maybe the "anchor pricing" approach.  Or maybe Canon knows the demand...  but when you get up to $3500 you are only $2499 away from a 1DX.   Hmmm..

With three minutes left before WPPI close, I guess I cant make it back to hear the screams :)

Landscape ( http://www.buiterphotography.com )
Motorsports ( http://www.buitermotorsports.com )
5DS, 5Dm3, 7D, EF 300/2.8 II IS USM, ZE 21/2.8, ZE 50/2 ZE 100/2, TS-E 24/3.5, EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS USM II, EF 24-105 IS f/4, TC 1.4 III, TC 2.0 III

TexPhoto

• EOS 5DS R
« Reply #122 on: February 22, 2012, 06:01:08 PM »
If those are indeed the specs, I will hang onto my 5DII and put the money towards Pizza and Beer, I mean lenses.

Chuck Alaimo

• EOS 5DS R
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #123 on: February 22, 2012, 06:11:10 PM »
If these specs are true, then for $500 less you can opt for the Nikon D800.  Am I the only one that is unimpressed so far by the rumors for the 5D MkII replacement?  I mean the Mark II has been around for over 3 years, and its replacement seems to be a very modest, unimpressive boost in specs/features.  Something tells me Nikon is going to be stealing a lot of Canon sales this year.

This is what I don't get....

Thinking of all the forum topics about the mkiii rumored specs and expectations - If i were a canon marketing rep reading all this and reporting back to canon with the header title of - "this is what people want," then this spec list is right on target!

behold (taken from http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,3249.0.html-
High MP (30-36mp) body with price to match $3k                                         35 (15.1%)
Hi DR;  mid MP (21-24mp) body with improved AF priced $2.5-3k     95 (40.9%)
Hi DR lower MP (18-21mp) body with great ISO priced $2300 -$2500          40 (17.2%)
Mini/crippled  1Dx @ $3000                                                                           23 (9.9%)
Awin's Shove it in Nikon's face 40MP+ monster priced at $3k                       39 (16.8%

Now the specs we see today are potentially better what was asked for.  Most of the responses said such things as,  just give me a better AF and I'll be fine.  If many of the other things are addressed (better DR, ISO, Weather sealing) then even more of a bonus. And there may be a few more bells and whistles in this beast that we don't know about.  Like another poster here said, how do they market this beast?  What will they be able to say that makes people draw their eyes from the d800?  Well, the above could very well turn into one add, you asked and we responded!  There are a lot of wedding photogs out there, and the 5d series is a mainstay in that trade - so i'd guess there are a few marketing campaigns ready to go...

With all that said, the cost is ugggggggg...but, remember this ---

While the d800 is $3000 - there is also the d800e at $3299....  $3300 is very close to $3500. 

Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

sublime LightWorks

• EOS Rebel T7i
« Reply #124 on: February 22, 2012, 06:14:56 PM »
What is meant by: "Dual CF/SD Card Slots"? Both of each  :o? or CF+SD slot? Or not sure: maybe 2 x CF or 2 x SD?  ???

One of each.
Oh I hate that crap. I really wanted 2 x CF. I just don't see the point of using 2 formats. I can understand it for peeps upgrading from a cam who have already SD's. Guess I'm turning back to the 1D X...

Of course, you could use an Eye-Fi in the SD and get wifi for less than any anticipated wifi adapter.  Not a speedy solution, but it probably will work.

Neeneko

« Reply #125 on: February 22, 2012, 06:16:42 PM »
kinda bummed. i make my living with a 5d 2 on a tripod with a cable release using manual ziess lenses. not sure how this will help me. Im sure something will come for me sooner or later.

Ooooh.. that actually sounds fun.

skoobey

« Reply #126 on: February 22, 2012, 06:17:19 PM »
Um, that's all well and fine, but... i stumbled upon this set of images that are all 6000x9000, and metadata says Canon 5d, not 5dII like other images from the same photographer.... so it makes me wonder...  ;) is there a 5dx on it's way?
http://blogs.vogue.es/clara-alonso/2011/10/hippie-chic/]
[url]http://blogs.vogue.es/clara-alonso/2011/10/hippie-chic/
[/url]

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #126 on: February 22, 2012, 06:17:19 PM »

barryjphoto

Trickle down my way…..
« Reply #127 on: February 22, 2012, 06:20:32 PM »
Here's to hoping there will be some 7D's being sold in the near future. Not as many 5Dll's I know but you can always hope.

tooslick2k

« Reply #128 on: February 22, 2012, 06:23:24 PM »
stop complaining about the price... for god sake.
if you don´t have the money buy a rebel.

the camera will have a lot more improvements then what is listed here.
and im sure it´s worth the money.

+1    We have all said it time and time again, "I'll spend whatever If the AF is improved" Its looking like they did that. So why back out now? This is a much better camera than the epic 5DmkII if you cant afford it, wait or buy a 7d, If you can afford it money shouldn't be an issue considering the current spec list.

Also note that the D800 was rumored at $3900, and is msrp offically at $3000.

gmrza

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #129 on: February 22, 2012, 06:24:38 PM »

22mp FF - yeah i know, that's a bitch isn't it? Not as good as 36mp, i'll give you that. But hang on - at what cost? Maybe Canon have a more rounded offer in the wing?

How many people actually will be able to use 36MP?  If you make huge prints, that will be great, but a 5DII already acquits itself quite well for 20"x30" prints.  For instance, if your required output is for 11"x14" prints, you can happily use SRAW1 on a 5DII.
I don't believe there are lots of people who need 36MP.  Keep in mind there is a difference between "need" and "want" or "would like".  :)
I have to admit I am beginning to wonder if you don't actually need a larger sensor (i.e. MF) to really get the benefit of so many pixels.
Zeiss Ikon Contax II, Sonnar 50mm f/2, Sonnar 135mm f/4

SomeGuyInNewJersey

« Reply #130 on: February 22, 2012, 06:26:26 PM »

Isnt it hard to try and take the high road with complaining people by just whining and complaining about them and then trying to demean them?

Well everyone who has misigivings about the rumored price must feel so humbled by such insight from your astute analysis. Your sureness of the rumored cameras worth and certainty of your as yet unknown but ever so valuable improvements must have really put people in their place.

My hypocritical bait taking on a hypocritical post is now over... I shall now lower myself by pressing post  :)

Ricku

• EOS 7D Mark II
« Reply #131 on: February 22, 2012, 06:26:40 PM »

How many people actually will be able to use 36MP?  If you make huge prints, that will be great, but a 5DII already acquits itself quite well for 20"x30" prints.  For instance, if your required output is for 11"x14" prints, you can happily use SRAW1 on a 5DII.
I don't believe there are lots of people who need 36MP.  Keep in mind there is a difference between "need" and "want" or "would like".  :)
I have to admit I am beginning to wonder if you don't actually need a larger sensor (i.e. MF) to really get the benefit of so many pixels.

Having high MP count is all about the ability to crop your photos. with around 40mp, you can crop like crazy.

Jimmy_D

« Reply #132 on: February 22, 2012, 06:27:29 PM »
well, since high resolution is out of the picture (bye-bye 36mp  :-[) my hopes reside in the possibility of 1dx type weather sealing

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #132 on: February 22, 2012, 06:27:29 PM »

tooslick2k

« Reply #133 on: February 22, 2012, 06:28:12 PM »

I don't understand your complaint.  People have invested a lot into their systems, and they truly believed that they were going to be able to have a somewhat affordable FF camera, and 3.5k is way out of reach for most people.

Sure we can be a used 5D2, but most people don't want a pre owned camera (lenses are a different story).

I don't think it's fair to say that people need to stop complaining about the price.  It is an enormous increase from the previous model.  Whether or not it's a smart financial move for Canon is a different story, but I say people have the right to feel a little upset.

With that logic, I want a 10,000 sqft house, but i dont want to spend the millions it costs on it.  I dont want a preowned home....

If i can only afford a 3000sqft home then thats what I buy. Everyone wants more for nothing. This price is great considering the improvements. If you cant afford it, there are other cameras to buy.

bestsides

« Reply #134 on: February 22, 2012, 06:30:38 PM »
Has anyone heard anything about weight of the camera body? may not be an issue for most guys but I've waited on this camera so I could upgrade to full frame - hoping it comes in under the weight of the current 7D (Approx. 28.9 oz./820g body only).

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #134 on: February 22, 2012, 06:30:38 PM »