November 22, 2017, 01:35:54 PM

Author Topic: *UPDATE* The Next 5D on March 2, 2012 [CR3]  (Read 294514 times)

DJL329

• EOS 7D Mark II
Re: The Next 5D on February 27/28, 2012 [CR3]
« Reply #600 on: February 26, 2012, 02:39:54 PM »
... SNIP ...
A full frame sensor with a higher pixel density would give me the flexibility to take wider shots than I can get with my 7D and 500mm lens in some cases and still crop to bring up a long shot in others.
...SNIP ...

So you are not happy with your 7D?
Bad image quality ?
It is not because Rocco Siffredi has a bigger than yours, he will make love better ...

I always thought wildlife shooters liked to shoot faster :o :o :o

SebSic - I didn't say I was unhappy with my 7D - I just wish Canon had gone the way of the D800, for the reasons I noted.

briansquibb - LOL.

Seriously, though, as we all know there are trade-offs to be considered. The bigger pixels with higher DR  and ISO vs. more of them so you can crop a long shot and still get a reasonable sized print. I can understand why Canon went the way they did (again assuming the rumors are true) but I'd rate things differently, based on my experience.

I very much doubt Canon will allow Nikon to be the only one with a high MP dSLR (especially if it is successful).  The 5D X may be 22MP, as the rumors suggest, so we may finally see the "mythical" 3D as the competitor to the D800.
Canon 5D IV | 14mm f/2.8L | 16-35mm f/4L IS | 24mm f/2.8 IS | 50mm f/1.4 | 85mm f/1.8 | 100mm f/2.8L IS | 200mm f/2.8L II | 300mm f/4L IS | 400mm f/4 DO IS II

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #600 on: February 26, 2012, 02:39:54 PM »

Drama79

Re: *UPDATE* The Next 5D on March 2, 2012 [CR3]
« Reply #601 on: February 26, 2012, 02:40:46 PM »
In fact, I'm calling it - there's no 5D announcement this week. The March 2nd event is an Ixus event.

I really hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am. Invites are out, no mention of the 5, just a whole heap of hopeful punters.

MaGiL

• PowerShot G1 X II
« Reply #602 on: February 26, 2012, 02:46:48 PM »
In fact, I'm calling it - there's no 5D announcement this week. The March 2nd event is an Ixus event.

I really hope I'm wrong, but I don't think I am. Invites are out, no mention of the 5, just a whole heap of hopeful punters.

I hope you're wrong too  ;) But i'm afraid you're right.

photochemist

« Reply #603 on: February 26, 2012, 02:59:31 PM »
I'm so tired of hearing people flip flopping and getting up on their soap box and announcing "Canon loses" or "I'm going to Nikon". How does it REALLY matter?

Hell, the most moving and memorable images burned into the minds of most people on our planet, let's say "Top 100 photos of all time", are most likely ALL film. Taken decades (or longer) ago, on cameras that are laughable compared to ANYTHING we have now. In terms of features, abilities and technology, even usability and reliability. What does that say, truly, about GOOD photography that MATTERS?

Are you a photographer, or are you a tech head who actually doesn't REQUIRE any of this because it the D800, 1DX, D4, or digital Hassleblad won't make your images truly any better.

???

I for one, based on these rumored specs, are OK with the 5D Mark III. Assuming they're even real specs. I make a living off of photography, I do various types. Mostly portraits, some fashion and beauty, and documentary work (along with weddings in the summer months). I also print my work, large, for galleries and clients, on various mediums such as photo paper, canvas and fine art materials (even metal and wood once).

We don't know the DR, we don't know the ISO, and we don't a ton of other stuff, let alone the ACTUAL specs (again, this is a rumor, a CR3'd rumor, but still a rumor).

It's just so hilarious to sit here for days, have a coffee, read through some rumors, see what other photographers are saying about them... you get a few different types of people really. The most comical is the person, on any forum really, who types up a bunch of garbage about switching systems, or being so fed up with the changes, or lack of changes. OK, fine. How in the world is any other camera going to make your photos better? How is getting the 5D3, or NOT, going to make you a better photographer? The D800E, D800, 1Dx, D4? Answer: it won't help.

The reason why, on twitter and other bigger forums, you don't see the seasoned pros or working photographers complaining about much, is because they understand this simple notion. You get caught up in all the gear talk, and all the #s, and it truly, at the end of the day, doesn't mean much. The reason we get new cameras, and want to "upgrade" is because we can, and because sometimes it gives us new tools, and it's fun to have new things that we truly love, like cameras and lenses. But we never should lie to ourselves and say or believe that owning the 5D3, or a PhaseOne, or D4 is going to make us a better photographer.

No one is going to look back on their career, put up a gallery show and say "right here, this is when you can tell I got the 5D3, or switched to the D800, it shows in my work". Blah blah blah.

I don't even believe most of what I read when you have someone boasting about changing sides or "needing" something MORE, MORE MORE! Always MORE!

No one is ever truly happy, right? I say.... I can't wait for what Canon, Nikon or anyone else brings us. If we can properly use any of these tools, then let's go for it, but let's not pretend it means much more.

My 5D2 has been through hell, I bought it the month it was on the market. It's so banged up and wonderfully used. My back up is an old 40D, which I never use, and has had some problems before. I don't trust it. Getting a 5D3, or the 1Dx makes sense for me in a lot of ways, but I'm not going to pretend it is going to make me a better photographer, or make my work more accessible to clients or galleries.

You are entitled to your opinion but I strongly disagree with it and your ranting about people "boasting about changing sides", and "...needing something MORE MORE MORE...".
I am one of those people who are disappointed with the approach Canon took with the 5D3  (assuming the rumors are true) and I consider the Nikon D800 a significant improvement for the wildlife photography that I do. A full frame sensor with a higher pixel density would give me the flexibility to take wider shots than I can get with my 7D and 500mm lens in some cases and still crop to bring up a long shot in others. So yes, even though my first SLR was an F-1 and I've got a lot of money sunk into Canon lenses, I might consider a jump to Nikon if the rumors turn out to be true. Its got nothing to do with "making me a better photographer" - it's just about getting with a company that's taking the technology in the direction I want to go. As was mentioned in CR some time ago, Canon COULD make a high megapixel FF but they HAVE NOT. Maybe they will someday, but then again, maybe they won't.
My point in posting was to (hopefully) let Canon (assuming that anyone at Canon reads CR) know how I (and I suspect others) feel.

Well said Bill. I agree with you.

I can think back about the photos that never saw the light of day because cropping caused pixelation. They were great shots but I didn't have the 800mm lens to get in close. With a 40+ MP camera I would have been able to crop them. So if more pixels results in better photos I would say that improves my photography.

For those that want higher fps at the cost of lower mp they have every right to wish for that. In my photography I have no need for high fps so give me all the mp you can. I will wait until Canon makes it so.

Musouka

« Reply #604 on: February 26, 2012, 03:32:51 PM »
I think it's almost guaranteed we'll get a new 5D between Feb 28th & March 2nd now that CR is reporting a probable price drop for the 5D2 (starting March 4th):

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=3634.0
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 03:35:48 PM by Musouka »

Chuck Alaimo

• EOS 5DS R
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #605 on: February 26, 2012, 03:58:55 PM »
I'm so tired of hearing people flip flopping and getting up on their soap box and announcing "Canon loses" or "I'm going to Nikon". How does it REALLY matter?

Hell, the most moving and memorable images burned into the minds of most people on our planet, let's say "Top 100 photos of all time", are most likely ALL film. Taken decades (or longer) ago, on cameras that are laughable compared to ANYTHING we have now. In terms of features, abilities and technology, even usability and reliability. What does that say, truly, about GOOD photography that MATTERS?

Are you a photographer, or are you a tech head who actually doesn't REQUIRE any of this because it the D800, 1DX, D4, or digital Hassleblad won't make your images truly any better.

???

I for one, based on these rumored specs, are OK with the 5D Mark III. Assuming they're even real specs. I make a living off of photography, I do various types. Mostly portraits, some fashion and beauty, and documentary work (along with weddings in the summer months). I also print my work, large, for galleries and clients, on various mediums such as photo paper, canvas and fine art materials (even metal and wood once).

We don't know the DR, we don't know the ISO, and we don't a ton of other stuff, let alone the ACTUAL specs (again, this is a rumor, a CR3'd rumor, but still a rumor).

It's just so hilarious to sit here for days, have a coffee, read through some rumors, see what other photographers are saying about them... you get a few different types of people really. The most comical is the person, on any forum really, who types up a bunch of garbage about switching systems, or being so fed up with the changes, or lack of changes. OK, fine. How in the world is any other camera going to make your photos better? How is getting the 5D3, or NOT, going to make you a better photographer? The D800E, D800, 1Dx, D4? Answer: it won't help.

The reason why, on twitter and other bigger forums, you don't see the seasoned pros or working photographers complaining about much, is because they understand this simple notion. You get caught up in all the gear talk, and all the #s, and it truly, at the end of the day, doesn't mean much. The reason we get new cameras, and want to "upgrade" is because we can, and because sometimes it gives us new tools, and it's fun to have new things that we truly love, like cameras and lenses. But we never should lie to ourselves and say or believe that owning the 5D3, or a PhaseOne, or D4 is going to make us a better photographer.

No one is going to look back on their career, put up a gallery show and say "right here, this is when you can tell I got the 5D3, or switched to the D800, it shows in my work". Blah blah blah.

I don't even believe most of what I read when you have someone boasting about changing sides or "needing" something MORE, MORE MORE! Always MORE!

No one is ever truly happy, right? I say.... I can't wait for what Canon, Nikon or anyone else brings us. If we can properly use any of these tools, then let's go for it, but let's not pretend it means much more.

My 5D2 has been through hell, I bought it the month it was on the market. It's so banged up and wonderfully used. My back up is an old 40D, which I never use, and has had some problems before. I don't trust it. Getting a 5D3, or the 1Dx makes sense for me in a lot of ways, but I'm not going to pretend it is going to make me a better photographer, or make my work more accessible to clients or galleries.

You are entitled to your opinion but I strongly disagree with it and your ranting about people "boasting about changing sides", and "...needing something MORE MORE MORE...".
I am one of those people who are disappointed with the approach Canon took with the 5D3  (assuming the rumors are true) and I consider the Nikon D800 a significant improvement for the wildlife photography that I do. A full frame sensor with a higher pixel density would give me the flexibility to take wider shots than I can get with my 7D and 500mm lens in some cases and still crop to bring up a long shot in others. So yes, even though my first SLR was an F-1 and I've got a lot of money sunk into Canon lenses, I might consider a jump to Nikon if the rumors turn out to be true. Its got nothing to do with "making me a better photographer" - it's just about getting with a company that's taking the technology in the direction I want to go. As was mentioned in CR some time ago, Canon COULD make a high megapixel FF but they HAVE NOT. Maybe they will someday, but then again, maybe they won't.
My point in posting was to (hopefully) let Canon (assuming that anyone at Canon reads CR) know how I (and I suspect others) feel.

Well said Bill. I agree with you.

I can think back about the photos that never saw the light of day because cropping caused pixelation. They were great shots but I didn't have the 800mm lens to get in close. With a 40+ MP camera I would have been able to crop them. So if more pixels results in better photos I would say that improves my photography.

For those that want higher fps at the cost of lower mp they have every right to wish for that. In my photography I have no need for high fps so give me all the mp you can. I will wait until Canon makes it so.

Wow is this one a loaded reply to a loaded reply to a loaded reply!  Given the rumored specs of the mkiii, this may not be the camera for wildlife photographers!  Maybe for now Canon isn't concerning itself with such a small niche.  Is this a bad thing?  Well, maybe it is for a wildlife photog.  But, if your a wedding photog, these specs fit the needs and then some....

I happen to totally agreee with the quoted post though too.  A good photographer is not defined by his or hger equipment, but rather by the images they create. Granted yes, with a 45 MP sensor, you can get away with taking a single frame image and printing it huge - but, you could do the same with a stitched panoramic, print it huge, stand it side by side with the 45 mp one and dare folks to tell the difference.   

Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

jrista

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
  • EOL
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #606 on: February 26, 2012, 04:08:29 PM »
5D-7D merge. Sounds perfect for me.

For me to.
To get this it will need 46MP + some improvement so lets say 62MP double the Nikon. If it make 3.5 FPS at full resolution we should get 5FPS at crop 1.2, 7FPS at crop 1.4 and 9FPS at crop 1.6. It's not reasonable to expect higher FPS but include a 1.8 and 2 crop mode anyway.

I am not sure if you are just being sarcastic, but you realize that at 62mp, not more than 2-3 lenses in Canon's entire lineup could resolve enough detail at any aperture to actually use all those pixels, right? You max out at 46mp, which is about 116lp/mm, which is right about where Canon's newest L-series lenses top out at their best aperture as well...which seems to be somewhere between f/4 and f/5.6 most of the time. The only few lenses from Canon that I think could resolve enough detail for 62mp are the new 500mm and 600mm L II lenses (which as of yet are still unreleased) and possibly the forthcoming 200-400 L...and even then, their maximum aperture is f/4, so 173lp/mm.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #606 on: February 26, 2012, 04:08:29 PM »

Jackson_Bill

« Reply #607 on: February 26, 2012, 04:16:11 PM »
...SNIP...

I happen to totally agreee with the quoted post though too.  A good photographer is not defined by his or hger equipment, but rather by the images they create. Granted yes, with a 45 MP sensor, you can get away with taking a single frame image and printing it huge - but, you could do the same with a stitched panoramic, print it huge, stand it side by side with the 45 mp one and dare folks to tell the difference.   

Chuck - No argument about a photographer being defined by his/her images but I have to say - a "stitched panoramic" is NOT going to happen with moving animals.

Chuck Alaimo

• EOS 5DS R
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #608 on: February 26, 2012, 04:32:25 PM »
...SNIP...

Chuck - No argument about a photographer being defined by his/her images but I have to say - a "stitched panoramic" is NOT going to happen with moving animals.

True, that was more about landscapes.  the point is more about intended market for this new body.  I think its market audience is wedding photographers, so low mp, fast AF, high ISO is what wedding togs are looking for.  That's not to say canon won't release a body that would be more geared towards the landscape wildlife crowd. It's the good old jack of all trades master of none -if this camera is the low light beast it's desired to be, then i think while it will piss some off, it will make others really happy, and thats better than trying to please everyone, and disappointing everyone...
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

daveswan

« Reply #609 on: February 26, 2012, 04:43:17 PM »
Just to throw a bucket of cold water over this overheated thread....

What if this annopuncement was for a .......

World-shaking, game-changing. . . . .

Wait for it . . . . .

PHOTOCOPIER  >:(

It's happened before >:(

He he let's see how many smites I get for this :evil grin:

pakosouthpark

• EOS 80D
« Reply #610 on: February 26, 2012, 04:44:20 PM »

I hope you're wrong too  ;) But i'm afraid you're right.

oh nooo, so no camera either on the 2nd???  :-\

D_Rochat

« Reply #611 on: February 26, 2012, 04:52:28 PM »

Jackson_Bill

« Reply #612 on: February 26, 2012, 05:02:24 PM »
LOL and point taken.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #612 on: February 26, 2012, 05:02:24 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #613 on: February 26, 2012, 05:53:19 PM »

ROFL that pic made my morning, its a bit like our governement at the moment too :(
+1 Karma for a good laugh :)
APS-H Fanboy

entertainer

• PowerShot SX60 HS
« Reply #614 on: February 26, 2012, 06:22:49 PM »
nah. its for a DSLR.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #614 on: February 26, 2012, 06:22:49 PM »