December 03, 2016, 12:48:17 PM

Author Topic: *UPDATE* The Next 5D on March 2, 2012 [CR3]  (Read 247653 times)

Neeneko

Re: 5D3 Design Standard
« Reply #780 on: February 29, 2012, 12:08:20 PM »
Color, shape, whatever it could be a square black box for all I care as long as it delivers superior IQ for the price, I'm good.  =)

That is my thought.  I am looking for a camera, not a fashion statement.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #780 on: February 29, 2012, 12:08:20 PM »

zackck

« Reply #781 on: February 29, 2012, 01:12:29 PM »
I'm scared to death that those pictures are of the real thing. It just looks cheap. Looks plasticy. And worse: looks smaller than the Mark II.

While I really don't care for colored bodies on professional equipment, I do believe that the camera should feel 1) solid, 2) easy to use with 3) well placed buttons. And if it looks good and makes you happy to hold it, even better.  :)

It's weird, but true. I prefer to shoot with the Pentax 645D because of ergonomics than a H4D that feels like I'm holding a teapot. The H4D might look fancier (specially the INOX version) that the Pentax (black box) but the later is just easier to hold.

My 2 cents.

K-amps

• 1D X Mark II
Re: *UPDATE* The Next 5D on March 2, 2012 [CR3]
« Reply #782 on: February 29, 2012, 01:27:36 PM »
My argument is not that the 5D2 has a 'pro AF' but that it is not as useless system as is regularly portrayed.

With a f/2.8 lens the 5D2 still is the best in low light on that centre point

PS I still would not classify the 7D as a pro AF either - just the best at that price point

Brian why are you lurking the Forums disguised as a 40D /EF-S shooter.... trying to hoodwink us eh?  :D

Because I got flamed for showing my kit. It seemed like the politics of envy raised its ugly head. I do have a 40D - this is the one I leave in the car in case I need a camera. I have had it for 4 years and wont get rid of it - it still works well within its limitations.

Don't worry about the Haters buddy, just say what's on your mind. Pick your battles, and leave the trolls to their devices...  :-X
EOS-80D & Pentax K1
EF Mount Rok 14mm F2.8; ∑ 24-105mm F4 A; 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; 100-400mm L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; 100mm L F/2.8
Pentax D-FA 15-30 F2.8 & 28-105mm

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
« Reply #783 on: February 29, 2012, 01:30:06 PM »
Now people are getting flamed for gear and posting example images...... This thread has gone down hill. Grow up.

agreed with D_Rochat ... there's really no need to get so fired up over camera-announcement-related speculation, let's keep things civil, yeah?

briansquibb

« Reply #784 on: February 29, 2012, 01:33:20 PM »

Don't worry about the Haters buddy, just say what's on your mind. Pick your battles, and leave the trolls to their devices...  :-X

Many thanks - you may have noticed I'm out on a limb more times than not :D

SomeGuyInNewJersey

« Reply #785 on: February 29, 2012, 01:51:29 PM »

I'm sure you know it well enough but I feel the need to say it anyways...

Theres a lot of folk on this site that like using to make them feel superior by using their saws on people out on limbs...

RedEye

« Reply #786 on: February 29, 2012, 01:59:32 PM »
Color, shape, whatever it could be a square black box for all I care as long as it delivers superior IQ for the price, I'm good.  =)

That is my thought.  I am looking for a camera, not a fashion statement.

I agree with you, I really don't wish for camera equipment to become a smell-me one-up competitive thing among guys who are taking photos for fun, but sometimes when you're making art and using a highly technical device to do so - there is a bit of appreciation for the art which makes the art. 
Similar to car design, you can't see the car you're driving while you're driving, but somehow even the details of the tail lights speak something about the car to the potential buyer. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #786 on: February 29, 2012, 01:59:32 PM »

RedEye

« Reply #787 on: February 29, 2012, 02:02:12 PM »
I'm scared to death that those pictures are of the real thing. It just looks cheap. Looks plasticy. And worse: looks smaller than the Mark II.

... ... ...

While I really don't care for colored bodies on professional equipment, I do believe that the camera should feel 1) solid, 2) easy to use with 3) well placed buttons. And if it looks good and makes you happy to hold it, even better.  :)

My 2 cents.

I agree.  My first thought was... well, hopefully the exciting stuff is on the inside.  Then after looking at it a few more times, it was 'there better be exciting stuff on the inside because the leak photos are rather...well.. unexciting, and don't really communicate anything about the Canon message', or if there is a message. 

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
« Reply #788 on: February 29, 2012, 02:03:28 PM »
not a fan of having color on the camera, it just draws way too much attention to itself that I wouldn't want either at events or when traveling.  I do think that, among DSLRs, Canons are already very elegant looking.  Nikon has been working on making their cameras look less Frankenstein-ish, and apparently Sony's just plain given up on designing non-hideous equipment.

D_Rochat

« Reply #789 on: February 29, 2012, 02:14:17 PM »

I wouldn't worry about the new body. The body in the images we've seen is not a full on production model and the cheapness you speak of is just the coating over the magnesium body. Nothing will be plasticy about it.

briansquibb

« Reply #790 on: February 29, 2012, 05:10:14 PM »

I'm sure you know it well enough but I feel the need to say it anyways...

Theres a lot of folk on this site that like using to make them feel superior by using their saws on people out on limbs...

Yep I spotted that - and also those that only have time for warm cuddly comments about the model which they are using  ::) ::) ::)

D_Rochat

« Reply #791 on: February 29, 2012, 05:45:13 PM »
I've notice that there are a few 7D extremists around here that will put a Jihad on you if you even insinuate that another camera might be better at something, even if you know from first hand experience. Love your equipment, but be realistic about it.

*posted with -84 Karma*  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 05:54:00 PM by D_Rochat »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #792 on: February 29, 2012, 05:59:37 PM »
I've notice that there are a few 7D extremists around here that will put a Jihad on you if you even insinuate that another camera might be better at something, even if you know from first hand experience. Love your equipment, but be realistic about it.

*posted with -84 Karma*  ;D ;D ;D
ROFL Jihad Durka Durka
I had to give you another +1 to help offset your jihad

APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #792 on: February 29, 2012, 05:59:37 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
« Reply #793 on: February 29, 2012, 06:02:37 PM »
My argument is not that the 5D2 has a 'pro AF' but that it is not as useless system as is regularly portrayed.

With a f/2.8 lens the 5D2 still is the best in low light on that centre point

PS I still would not classify the 7D as a pro AF either - just the best at that price point

Brian why are you lurking the Forums disguised as a 40D /EF-S shooter.... trying to hoodwink us eh?  :D

Because I got flamed for showing my kit. It seemed like the politics of envy raised its ugly head. I do have a 40D - this is the one I leave in the car in case I need a camera. I have had it for 4 years and wont get rid of it - it still works well within its limitations.
not wanting to give thieves a shopping list? common sense?
APS-H Fanboy

SiliconVoid

• Canon AE-1
  • Freelance (film days) - Digital Enthusiast
« Reply #794 on: February 29, 2012, 06:10:13 PM »

What the heck is a 'pro AF'?? Weren't there professional photographers before autofocus cameras/lenses?
If having the camera do everything for you, and those features only available in the most expensive bodies, then all it takes to be a 'professional' is you spending more money...  ;D
Canon - 5DmkII - 40D - Rebel XSi - AE1 - F1 : 3 Ls
Nikon - D700 - D300s : 2 Ns

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #794 on: February 29, 2012, 06:10:13 PM »