December 19, 2014, 07:22:12 AM

Author Topic: *UPDATE* The Next 5D on March 2, 2012 [CR3]  (Read 188085 times)

RedEye

5D3 Design Standard
« Reply #780 on: February 29, 2012, 10:48:50 AM »
I would voice the idea that there is a slighted preference for a DSLR that not only functions well but also has a beautiful design and is distinctive.  I don't think I would be comfortable with ferrari red as some hassy models have done for marketing, but I think a distinctive case design with ergonomics to match would add some value to the new model for me. 
Some of the design features of the GX1 are accommodating; probably not the best for a full size DSLR but its the perception of the theory which matters. 

canon rumors FORUM

5D3 Design Standard
« Reply #780 on: February 29, 2012, 10:48:50 AM »

jchl97

Re: 5D3 Design Standard
« Reply #781 on: February 29, 2012, 11:00:05 AM »
I would voice the idea that there is a slighted preference for a DSLR that not only functions well but also has a beautiful design and is distinctive.  I don't think I would be comfortable with ferrari red as some hassy models have done for marketing, but I think a distinctive case design with ergonomics to match would add some value to the new model for me. 
Some of the design features of the GX1 are accommodating; probably not the best for a full size DSLR but its the perception of the theory which matters.

That's why apparently the new 5D is adopting the curvier look of the 7D, which in my opinion is simply sexy.

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #782 on: February 29, 2012, 11:10:52 AM »
I'm not sure about color accents on the camera... it doesn't need it... I did notice, at least to my impression, that the corners of the safari images we seen on this site that it appears to be "rounder" especially on the bottom and top edge corners... It could have been the angle of the shots or my perception, but that's what jumped out at me...  Color, shape, whatever it could be a square black box for all I care as long as it delivers superior IQ for the price, I'm good.  =)
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

briansquibb

Re: *UPDATE* The Next 5D on March 2, 2012 [CR3]
« Reply #783 on: February 29, 2012, 11:14:59 AM »
My argument is not that the 5D2 has a 'pro AF' but that it is not as useless system as is regularly portrayed.

With a f/2.8 lens the 5D2 still is the best in low light on that centre point

PS I still would not classify the 7D as a pro AF either - just the best at that price point

Brian why are you lurking the Forums disguised as a 40D /EF-S shooter.... trying to hoodwink us eh?  :D

Because I got flamed for showing my kit. It seemed like the politics of envy raised its ugly head. I do have a 40D - this is the one I leave in the car in case I need a camera. I have had it for 4 years and wont get rid of it - it still works well within its limitations.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 11:26:03 AM by briansquibb »

briansquibb

« Reply #784 on: February 29, 2012, 11:21:52 AM »
Quote "I love that camera's IQ, but for other than studio, I hate it's AF. I needed a camera that could tracking moving targets like professional cyclists, equestrian jumping, and kids football, baseball, and soccer.

Hahaha says the guy who posts a "centre" weighted "DOG" photo all on the same image plane showing the 5d mark ii's focus capabilities. God this is priceless! Hypocrit !

Dude.....I didn't post that photo, that was not my posting.  It was Brian's.  Go back and check again.  You quoted my posting above, but you referenced a photo and posting that is not mine.  Can't you keep your thoughts straight, or it that too difficult this early in the morning?

You just made a complete ass out of yourself.  That is PRICELESS.  What a jackass.

+1  8) 8) 8)

Especially as the picture was clearly labelled as an all AF points shot in low light :D And obviously never tried photographing a lively young terrier  in low light ??? ??? ???
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 12:06:02 PM by briansquibb »

D_Rochat

« Reply #785 on: February 29, 2012, 11:49:57 AM »
Now people are getting flamed for gear and posting example images...... This thread has gone down hill. Grow up.

Neeneko

« Reply #786 on: February 29, 2012, 12:08:20 PM »
Color, shape, whatever it could be a square black box for all I care as long as it delivers superior IQ for the price, I'm good.  =)

That is my thought.  I am looking for a camera, not a fashion statement.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #786 on: February 29, 2012, 12:08:20 PM »

zackck

« Reply #787 on: February 29, 2012, 01:12:29 PM »
I'm scared to death that those pictures are of the real thing. It just looks cheap. Looks plasticy. And worse: looks smaller than the Mark II.

While I really don't care for colored bodies on professional equipment, I do believe that the camera should feel 1) solid, 2) easy to use with 3) well placed buttons. And if it looks good and makes you happy to hold it, even better.  :)

It's weird, but true. I prefer to shoot with the Pentax 645D because of ergonomics than a H4D that feels like I'm holding a teapot. The H4D might look fancier (specially the INOX version) that the Pentax (black box) but the later is just easier to hold.

My 2 cents.

K-amps

• 1D X
  • Whatever looks great !
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: February 29, 2012, 01:27:36 PM »
My argument is not that the 5D2 has a 'pro AF' but that it is not as useless system as is regularly portrayed.

With a f/2.8 lens the 5D2 still is the best in low light on that centre point

PS I still would not classify the 7D as a pro AF either - just the best at that price point

Brian why are you lurking the Forums disguised as a 40D /EF-S shooter.... trying to hoodwink us eh?  :D

Because I got flamed for showing my kit. It seemed like the politics of envy raised its ugly head. I do have a 40D - this is the one I leave in the car in case I need a camera. I have had it for 4 years and wont get rid of it - it still works well within its limitations.

Don't worry about the Haters buddy, just say what's on your mind. Pick your battles, and leave the trolls to their devices...  :-X
EOS-5D Mk.iii 
Sigma 24-105mm F4 ART; EF 70-200 F/2.8L Mk.II; EF 85mm L F/1.2 Mk. II; EF 100mm L F/2.8 IS Macro, 50mm F/1.8ii;  TC's 2x Mk.iii; 1.4x Mk.iii

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #789 on: February 29, 2012, 01:30:06 PM »
Now people are getting flamed for gear and posting example images...... This thread has gone down hill. Grow up.

agreed with D_Rochat ... there's really no need to get so fired up over camera-announcement-related speculation, let's keep things civil, yeah?

briansquibb

« Reply #790 on: February 29, 2012, 01:33:20 PM »

Don't worry about the Haters buddy, just say what's on your mind. Pick your battles, and leave the trolls to their devices...  :-X

Many thanks - you may have noticed I'm out on a limb more times than not :D

SomeGuyInNewJersey

« Reply #791 on: February 29, 2012, 01:51:29 PM »

Many thanks - you may have noticed I'm out on a limb more times than not :D

I'm sure you know it well enough but I feel the need to say it anyways...

Theres a lot of folk on this site that like using to make them feel superior by using their saws on people out on limbs...

RedEye

« Reply #792 on: February 29, 2012, 01:59:32 PM »
Color, shape, whatever it could be a square black box for all I care as long as it delivers superior IQ for the price, I'm good.  =)

That is my thought.  I am looking for a camera, not a fashion statement.

I agree with you, I really don't wish for camera equipment to become a smell-me one-up competitive thing among guys who are taking photos for fun, but sometimes when you're making art and using a highly technical device to do so - there is a bit of appreciation for the art which makes the art. 
Similar to car design, you can't see the car you're driving while you're driving, but somehow even the details of the tail lights speak something about the car to the potential buyer. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #792 on: February 29, 2012, 01:59:32 PM »

RedEye

« Reply #793 on: February 29, 2012, 02:02:12 PM »
I'm scared to death that those pictures are of the real thing. It just looks cheap. Looks plasticy. And worse: looks smaller than the Mark II.

... ... ...

While I really don't care for colored bodies on professional equipment, I do believe that the camera should feel 1) solid, 2) easy to use with 3) well placed buttons. And if it looks good and makes you happy to hold it, even better.  :)

My 2 cents.

I agree.  My first thought was... well, hopefully the exciting stuff is on the inside.  Then after looking at it a few more times, it was 'there better be exciting stuff on the inside because the leak photos are rather...well.. unexciting, and don't really communicate anything about the Canon message', or if there is a message. 

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #794 on: February 29, 2012, 02:03:28 PM »
not a fan of having color on the camera, it just draws way too much attention to itself that I wouldn't want either at events or when traveling.  I do think that, among DSLRs, Canons are already very elegant looking.  Nikon has been working on making their cameras look less Frankenstein-ish, and apparently Sony's just plain given up on designing non-hideous equipment.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #794 on: February 29, 2012, 02:03:28 PM »