August 27, 2014, 11:01:07 AM

Author Topic: *UPDATE* The Next 5D on March 2, 2012 [CR3]  (Read 178876 times)

D_Rochat

Re: 5D3 Design Standard
« Reply #795 on: February 29, 2012, 02:14:17 PM »
I'm scared to death that those pictures are of the real thing. It just looks cheap. Looks plasticy. And worse: looks smaller than the Mark II.

I wouldn't worry about the new body. The body in the images we've seen is not a full on production model and the cheapness you speak of is just the coating over the magnesium body. Nothing will be plasticy about it.

briansquibb

Re: *UPDATE* The Next 5D on March 2, 2012 [CR3]
« Reply #796 on: February 29, 2012, 05:10:14 PM »

Don't worry about the Haters buddy, just say what's on your mind. Pick your battles, and leave the trolls to their devices...  :-X

Many thanks - you may have noticed I'm out on a limb more times than not :D

I'm sure you know it well enough but I feel the need to say it anyways...

Theres a lot of folk on this site that like using to make them feel superior by using their saws on people out on limbs...

Yep I spotted that - and also those that only have time for warm cuddly comments about the model which they are using  ::) ::) ::)

D_Rochat

« Reply #797 on: February 29, 2012, 05:45:13 PM »
I've notice that there are a few 7D extremists around here that will put a Jihad on you if you even insinuate that another camera might be better at something, even if you know from first hand experience. Love your equipment, but be realistic about it.

*posted with -84 Karma*  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 05:54:00 PM by D_Rochat »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: February 29, 2012, 05:59:37 PM »
I've notice that there are a few 7D extremists around here that will put a Jihad on you if you even insinuate that another camera might be better at something, even if you know from first hand experience. Love your equipment, but be realistic about it.

ROFL Jihad Durka Durka
I had to give you another +1 to help offset your jihad

APS-H Fanboy

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #799 on: February 29, 2012, 06:02:37 PM »
My argument is not that the 5D2 has a 'pro AF' but that it is not as useless system as is regularly portrayed.

With a f/2.8 lens the 5D2 still is the best in low light on that centre point

PS I still would not classify the 7D as a pro AF either - just the best at that price point

Brian why are you lurking the Forums disguised as a 40D /EF-S shooter.... trying to hoodwink us eh?  :D

Because I got flamed for showing my kit. It seemed like the politics of envy raised its ugly head. I do have a 40D - this is the one I leave in the car in case I need a camera. I have had it for 4 years and wont get rid of it - it still works well within its limitations.
not wanting to give thieves a shopping list? common sense?
APS-H Fanboy

SiliconVoid

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Freelance (film days) - Digital Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: February 29, 2012, 06:10:13 PM »

PS I still would not classify the 7D as a pro AF either - just the best at that price point

What the heck is a 'pro AF'?? Weren't there professional photographers before autofocus cameras/lenses?
If having the camera do everything for you, and those features only available in the most expensive bodies, then all it takes to be a 'professional' is you spending more money...  ;D
Canon - 5DmkII - 40D - Rebel XSi - AE1 - F1 : 3 Ls
Nikon - D700 - D300s : 2 Ns

briansquibb

« Reply #801 on: February 29, 2012, 06:11:06 PM »
My argument is not that the 5D2 has a 'pro AF' but that it is not as useless system as is regularly portrayed.

Brian why are you lurking the Forums disguised as a 40D /EF-S shooter.... trying to hoodwink us eh?  :D

Because I got flamed for showing my kit. It seemed like the politics of envy raised its ugly head. I do have a 40D - this is the one I leave in the car in case I need a camera. I have had it for 4 years and wont get rid of it - it still works well within its limitations.

They would have to bring a truck to take it away and living in the middle of nowhere a truck is obvious and difficult to get up the track. I dont give a monkeys if people know what I have in the way of kit - just seems to offend them. I have enough smites because I am not a 7D fanboy so to invite more for the sake of a sig line is just a distraction that I cant be a***d with.

wickidwombat

• View Profile
« Reply #802 on: February 29, 2012, 06:13:42 PM »

They would have to bring a truck to take it away and living in the middle of nowhere a truck is obvious and difficult to get up the track. I dont give a monkeys if people know what I have in the way of kit - just seems to offend them. I have enough smites because I am not a 7D fanboy so to invite more for the sake of a sig line is just a distraction that I cant be a***d with.

it also seems your pet smiter is still going strong, You must have REALLY hurt someones feelings :D
APS-H Fanboy

briansquibb

« Reply #803 on: February 29, 2012, 06:14:15 PM »

What the heck is a 'pro AF'?? Weren't there professional photographers before autofocus cameras/lenses?
If having the camera do everything for you, and those features only available in the most expensive bodies, then all it takes to be a 'professional' is you spending more money...  ;D

No problem - go take some BIF using a manual focus.

Pros have had AF since at least the 70's.

briansquibb

« Reply #804 on: February 29, 2012, 06:16:11 PM »

it also seems your pet smiter is still going strong, You must have REALLY hurt someones feelings :D

Probably a fanboy that got an app on his iPhone and hasn't worked out how to stop it yet :D

well_dunno

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: February 29, 2012, 07:03:02 PM »

ROFL Jihad Durka Durka
I had to give you another +1 to help offset your jihad
LOL +1 to you both!

Rod Guajardo

« Reply #806 on: February 29, 2012, 07:49:33 PM »
Not sure what to think of Shane's reply to my tweet, but at least he doesn't deny 5D Mark III exist!

For those that may not know, Shane Hurlbut is the DP that used Canon 5D MII's in the action sequences of the new film, Act of Valor.  He is someone I would expect to know what is going on behind the scenes at Canon.  I will reply to him on Twitter and see if he has anything else to say.

Looking forward to the coming days!
Twitter: Rod_Guajardo
« Last Edit: February 29, 2012, 08:23:06 PM by Rod Guajardo »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: 5D3 Design Standard
« Reply #807 on: February 29, 2012, 08:16:26 PM »
not a fan of having color on the camera, it just draws way too much attention to itself that I wouldn't want either at events or when traveling.

It would take a fair bit of color to draw the eye away from that big, white lens...

I like an elegant design when it supports functionality or ergonomics.  Smooth curves are more comfortable to hold, for example.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

gsheve2004

« Reply #808 on: March 01, 2012, 04:32:49 AM »
please notice this pic in Shanghai, it's believed to be the post for tomorrow

noxious_nasties

« Reply #809 on: March 01, 2012, 06:33:14 AM »
Heres a thread with a pic from the chinese site

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,3747.0.html