Like some others here I am disappointed with the price.
I know its till just a rumor but I was expecting $3k. I would not have hesitated to purchase. But another $500 makes me wonder.
Perhaps the price is wrong... the d800 was rumored to be about $300-$500 more than the price they announced it at, so perhaps this case is similar.
I'm upgrading from a 550d, so I dont already have full frame. So my choice is BETWEEN the 5d2 and the 5d3, not a choice between getting the 5d3 or doing nothing. I'll discount the D800e option altogether because of the cost of replacing all my glass. I am even more excited about upgrading to FF for a silly sounding reason as well, I recently started using an old 35mm film slr and LOVE the increased size oft he viewfinder over a crop body.
5d2 is currently $2.3k body only so for the price of a body only 5d3 I could get the 5d2 with the 100mm f/2.8L Macro lens or the 8-15mm f/4 fisheye instead.
I dont need that much of an advanced AF system, better than the 5d2 would have been nice. I dont need the fps.
Its roughly the same mp as the 5d2. So no extra blowing up opportunities from the 5d2.
Obviously we have no word on iq compared to 5d2 yet... and thats a very important unknown because when it comes to it I couldnt care less about the specs in the end... the quality of the final image is everything.
Better performance at higher iso would be nice... but if it isnt much better with noise etc at low-medium iso than the 5d2 then I'm not sure if the extra $1200 over a 5d2 is worth it for me.
Perhaps the build quality is more rugged and the weather sealing improved too?
I REALLY didnt want to bitch when the camera so many of us have been waiting for is almost upon us but that extra $500 over what I thought they could price it at has left me more than a little disappointed. Its not a value thing, its just a raw thats $3500 thing... I am not complaining about the specs offered for that price and accusing them of ripping customers off as I suspect some of the other commenters might. I'm not asking for more specs and asking for more less money... I was kinda just expecting to buy $3k worth of Canon FF and not $3500 worth of Canon FF...
The other piece of my puzzle is when can I get my hands on it... I'm planning Grand Canyon, Antelope and Monument Valley for August... one way or another I will be going with a full frame camera and not my 550d.
Ah, decisions, decisions...