August 23, 2014, 01:49:16 AM

Author Topic: *UPDATE* The Next 5D on March 2, 2012 [CR3]  (Read 178713 times)

MazV-L

Re: The Next 5D on February 27/28, 2012 [CR3]
« Reply #435 on: February 24, 2012, 06:21:03 AM »
Perhaps the price is including the new fancy grip ??? Anyways the price was approximate only, not a definite figure.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 06:40:20 AM by MazV-L »

catz

« Reply #436 on: February 24, 2012, 06:31:06 AM »
If 5D3 only implements aliasing/moire free video and more resolution on video, I will be more happy to upgrade to 5D3. Even if this was the only improvement on the 5D3 over 5D2, it would be worth every cent.

The other thing I always of course would like to be improved, the dynamic range. It is more important than low light performance. I have been happy with the 5D2 dynamic range since it is much better on it than some other Canon DSLRs, but I would be really happy if it was pushed even greater since I always shoot RAW and edit every picture. That would make amazing possibilities for post-production for the kind of photography I typically do.

If thats all you want then look at the anti aliasing filter from http://www.mosaicengineering.com/

This plus a 5dmkii would be much cheaper! Id hope for other improvements such as rolling shutter, maybe 60fps 1080p, improved codec etc from the next model.

And suddenly by adding a antialiasing filter that blurs the already blurry video quality the footage starts to look
like RED right? sarcasm: "Oh wow so convinced".

Mosaic engineering antialiasing filter will help but it will not restore the video resolution nowhere near the 1080p because the 5D2 is not resolving more than something between SD and 720p and the crop sensor Canons are even worse. Mosaic engineering filter can make the video look like good moire-free SD, but not like FullHD. I have been seriously considering getting this filter because a moire free SD is better than the moire h*ll of the DSLR footage.

Video resolution has absolutely nothing to do with the codec, 60p or anything like that. The difference between greatly resolving camera and poorly resolving camera is like day and night even if the codec was really poor and if there was web compression also applied. Poorly resolving uncompressed 4444 12 bit raw looks like crap if compared to a camera that has a poor codec of 8 bit h264 in comparison, but that resolves every pixel of the 1920x1080 frame. This is why Panasonic GH2 even without the hack looks much more sharp than the 5D mark II or any other Canon DSLR despite it has really weak codec with very low bit rate (without the hack). The reduced compression will reduce artefacts on the image, but will never ever not make a blurry video look sharp.

People seem to almost religiously believe that lack of compression will solve the problems. This is not the case. Resolution does not come from nowhere if it did not exist in the first place.

You can do this experiement if you like:
- Make a jpeg image with your 5D mark II and scale it to 1920x1080p. Then save it with compression setting that is relative to the compression of the h264. Now take a video of the same subject. Take a still out of the video. Edit both pictures in image editing program like Aperture and match the colors of these two. Now do a blind test between these. Which one is which. Surprise surprise: equally compressed jpeg will look awesome compared to the frame grab from the video. If the 5D3 will resolve perfect 1920x1080 video, then each frame of that video will be as good as this jpeg scaled to 1920x1080.
- I purchased my 5D2 in the early days after it go launched and I thought that it would be great for video. I was greatly disappointed by the lack of resolution after I did the above test myself.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 06:42:17 AM by catz »

Martin

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 24, 2012, 06:40:18 AM »
Think it over for last couple of days. If the rumors is true, and there will be no significant changes in ISO, DR I will switch to Nikon once again, hope it's the last time. I perform advanced and long time post processing of my studio works so Nikon seems better in it's files.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 06:42:05 AM by Martin »
5D3, 35L, 85 1.8, 135L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS II, 580 EX II.

atopos

« Reply #438 on: February 24, 2012, 06:41:23 AM »
Hi !

What about time code
implemented in 5D III ?
Likely ?
1DX has it.

Grum

« Reply #439 on: February 24, 2012, 06:43:27 AM »
If the rumors is true, and there will be no significant changes in ISO, DR

Where in the rumours does it say that!!?

Martin

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: February 24, 2012, 06:47:51 AM »
If:

1.the rumors is true (22mpix, only better AF, price tag)
2. and nothing changes in other parameters (nothing about this in rumor)

5D3, 35L, 85 1.8, 135L, 24-70L, 70-200L IS II, 580 EX II.

CJRodgers

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: February 24, 2012, 06:49:05 AM »
If 5D3 only implements aliasing/moire free video and more resolution on video, I will be more happy to upgrade to 5D3. Even if this was the only improvement on the 5D3 over 5D2, it would be worth every cent.

The other thing I always of course would like to be improved, the dynamic range. It is more important than low light performance. I have been happy with the 5D2 dynamic range since it is much better on it than some other Canon DSLRs, but I would be really happy if it was pushed even greater since I always shoot RAW and edit every picture. That would make amazing possibilities for post-production for the kind of photography I typically do.

If thats all you want then look at the anti aliasing filter from http://www.mosaicengineering.com/

This plus a 5dmkii would be much cheaper! Id hope for other improvements such as rolling shutter, maybe 60fps 1080p, improved codec etc from the next model.

And suddenly by adding a antialiasing filter that blurs the already blurry video quality the footage starts to look
like RED right? sarcasm: "Oh wow so convinced".

Mosaic engineering antialiasing filter will help but it will not restore the video resolution nowhere near the 1080p because the 5D2 is not resolving more than something between SD and 720p and the crop sensor Canons are even worse. Mosaic engineering filter can make the video look like good moire-free SD, but not like FullHD. I have been seriously considering getting this filter because a moire free SD is better than the moire h*ll of the DSLR footage.

Video resolution has absolutely nothing to do with the codec, 60p or anything like that. The difference between greatly resolving camera and poorly resolving camera is like day and night even if the codec was really poor and if there was web compression also applied. Poorly resolving uncompressed 4444 12 bit raw looks like crap if compared to a camera that has a poor codec of 8 bit h264 in comparison, but that resolves every pixel of the 1920x1080 frame. This is why Panasonic GH2 even without the hack looks much more sharp than the 5D mark II or any other Canon DSLR despite it has really weak codec with very low bit rate (without the hack). The reduced compression will reduce artefacts on the image, but will never ever not make a blurry video look sharp.

People seem to almost religiously believe that lack of compression will solve the problems. This is not the case. Resolution does not come from nowhere if it did not exist in the first place.

You can do this experiement if you like:
- Make a jpeg image with your 5D mark II and scale it to 1920x1080p. Then save it with compression setting that is relative to the compression of the h264. Now take a video of the same subject. Take a still out of the video. Edit both pictures in image editing program like Aperture and match the colors of these two. Now do a blind test between these. Which one is which. Surprise surprise: equally compressed jpeg will look awesome compared to the frame grab from the video. If the 5D3 will resolve perfect 1920x1080 video, then each frame of that video will be as good as this jpeg scaled to 1920x1080.
- I purchased my 5D2 in the early days after it go launched and I thought that it would be great for video. I was greatly disappointed by the lack of resolution after I did the above test myself.

Yes i do agree with you. Gh2 is much sharper. If only the colours were nearly as nice as canons. I think if there is a big price increase in this latest 5d version, it could be due to highly improved video features of which there are no details. So whilst everyone is upset that the price is possibly so high, it might be justified with excellent video quality as well as the af improvement for stills. This will annoy the people who only want this as a stills camera if they have to bare the increase in price due to superior video features.

atopos

« Reply #442 on: February 24, 2012, 06:52:04 AM »
Canon EOS-1D X

What else will 5DIII borrow from 1DX, You suppose ?

Autocall

« Reply #443 on: February 24, 2012, 07:43:23 AM »
absolutely NO mention is made about the sensor' size in the specs.
Could very well be the 7D II.
Anyone think the same?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 07:45:07 AM by Autocall »

Rank_90

« Reply #444 on: February 24, 2012, 08:06:12 AM »
absolutely NO mention is made about the sensor' size in the specs.
Could very well be the 7D II.
Anyone think the same?

lol Errr No

tt

« Reply #445 on: February 24, 2012, 08:32:16 AM »
It's the 5D mark II successor. Confirmed With someone who knows.
We await the important details.

Bluntforcetrauma

« Reply #446 on: February 24, 2012, 08:38:34 AM »
So  what is some of the big differences between 5DIII and the 1DX?I know price XWEHGWis one thing, but one is full frame and less money,

anyone have a bit of side to side comparison about the specs.

I am a tech newbie.

thanks

Chewy734

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: February 24, 2012, 08:52:21 AM »
when exactly is Canon's announcement?  27th? 28th? what time-zone?

sublime LightWorks

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: February 24, 2012, 08:52:44 AM »
So  what is some of the big differences between 5DIII and the 1DX?I know price XWEHGWis one thing, but one is full frame and less money,

anyone have a bit of side to side comparison about the specs.

I am a tech newbie.

thanks

Ah...tech newbie....fresh meat.......

Seriously, we don't know the full extent of what the 5D3 is going to have, but the speculation of differences is:

1 ) 5D3 will sport a 61pt AF and advanced metering system, but will not be the same as the full pro-level AF and metering of the 1Dx
2 ) Will be  much lower shoot rate, approx 7 fps vs. 12 fps of the 1Dx (1Dx also has a 14 fps JPEG burst mode)
3 ) Will have some level of weather sealing, but not have the weather proof pro body of the 1Dx
4 ) Will not have the same level of noise performance at high ISO settings as the 1Dx (1 to 1.5 stops lower performance)
5 ) 5D3 looks to have dual cards, CF and SD cards, but the 1Dx has dual CF cards
6 ) 5D3 will likely have a smaller RAW buffer (temp storage of images during shooting as the camera xfers to the storage cards)
7 ) 1Dx has a built-in grip, the 5D3 will likely be an optional purchase
8 ) shutter probably be have a rated duty cycle life lower than the 1Dx
9 ) 5D3 will probably have a few video features the are not in the 1Dx (speculation here, nothing has been reported, it's just a general consensus)

There are more diffs, other feel free to add.....

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: February 24, 2012, 09:01:56 AM »
four more sleeps  ;D