October 23, 2014, 03:29:10 PM

Author Topic: *UPDATE* The Next 5D on March 2, 2012 [CR3]  (Read 183215 times)

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
Re: *UPDATE* The Next 5D on March 2, 2012 [CR3]
« Reply #660 on: February 27, 2012, 11:58:11 AM »
I'm dissapointed by those holes on the front - that doesn't look to water resistant. I will probably tape them up. Also I'm dissapointed by the 5D line seemingly still not getting a built-in eyepiece cover. That really sucks. the crappy little rubber thing they give you on the neck strap is really tacky and hard to put on, and means it's easy to lose your eyepiece, and a right pain when you have to put it on and off repeatedly.   Nikon D700 has had this for a long time. 3 years wait for a glorified 7D with a full frame sensor?

Quite frankly I was hoping for more - a lot more.

Do you mean the microphone holes? The 1d x has some as well, and thats meant to be waterproof. Its not too hard to seal them so they should be waterproof.

Also the 7D has the holes and it's been praised for it's weathersealing...
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #660 on: February 27, 2012, 11:58:11 AM »

Brad Trent

« Reply #661 on: February 27, 2012, 04:30:14 PM »
I've talked to Canon reps for the past couple of years about what the next 5-series body would be like, and they always act like they're guarding the secret to cold fusion. Getting any kind of straight answer out of them has been impossible and honestly, it kind of pissed me off. As a working pro, knowing what 'might' be in the pipeline could really help me in my business and when your own rep can't tell you anything, the frustration you begin to feel makes any kind of brand loyalty secondary. At the last Photo Expo in New York when all anybody wanted to talk about was the 1Dx launch, there were a lot of guys like me feeling extremely left out by Canon. It's not too much to say that the 1Dx, while a very nice machine, is not the ideal body for the majority of photographers out there and that doesn't have anything to do with what it costs. But Canon was so hopped up about their new toy that any questions about what the 5D mkII's replacement might be like were met with a stony wall of silence.

So without any information coming directly from Canon, like everyone else I've recently been following all the leaks about the 5D Mark III or 5Dx or whatever they plan to call the thing. Whether any of them are true or not ain't gonna really change my life since I spend most of my time with my face pressed firmly against a Hasselblad with a Leaf back, but if Canon does stick to their guns and keep the new model's pixel count at the 22MP range, it will probably be the thing to push me back to Nikon after more than 20 years of being a Canon guy. I was very happy with the first 1Ds...for what it was...but moved to the 5D Mark II for obvious reasons, even though it has a fair number of shortcomings...the focusing system being my main concern. If Canon does have a new 61 autofocus point system in the new model it will help, but for a guy like me who constantly compares the files that pop outta my Leaf back to the less-groovy versions that the Canon spits out, then the Nikon D800...with it's 36.3 MP chip...is looking better and better all the time. And I get that if you're a news guy or a sports guy the lower megapixel count on the new 1Dx is less important than the high capture rate and better ISO range. Likewise, I also fully understand that for the majority of jobs, the 5D's 22MP capture is gonna be just 'fine'. But I really could give a damn about 'fine'. All things being equal, if I compare two DSLR's capturing 14-bit images, if one is using a 22MP chip and the other has a 36.3MP chip, I'm pretty sure I know which one is gonna come out on top.  I'm gonna give the D800 a test drive, and if it does what I think it is capable of, I'll sell off my small but capable collection of Canon bodies and glass and pick up similar stuff with a Nikon badge. Like I said, my loyalty to Canon has its limits, and since they seem to think that 22MP is all a guy like me needs, then I'm sorry, but I think they're wrong.

tooslick2k

« Reply #662 on: February 27, 2012, 04:41:20 PM »
I'm dissapointed by those holes on the front - that doesn't look to water resistant. I will probably tape them up. Also I'm dissapointed by the 5D line seemingly still not getting a built-in eyepiece cover. That really sucks. the crappy little rubber thing they give you on the neck strap is really tacky and hard to put on, and means it's easy to lose your eyepiece, and a right pain when you have to put it on and off repeatedly.   Nikon D700 has had this for a long time. 3 years wait for a glorified 7D with a full frame sensor?

Quite frankly I was hoping for more - a lot more.

Sorry you're disappointed, could you head over to Nikonrumors and stop wasting bandwidth?  I dont get all these people complaining about how much they hate the camera and then sticking around to keep positing.  Go and switch to Nikon already.

+1  That is verbatim what I was thinking!

silat shooters

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: February 27, 2012, 04:45:25 PM »
I think we'll see a high meg body from Canon at Photokina.  I think they probably realize that the demand is there for one.  So don't jump ship so quickly. 

The selling of your glass and rebuying in Nikon mount, gets expensive.  I'll bet Canon has something more than 36 megs in late August.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: February 27, 2012, 05:16:04 PM »
...if I compare ... a 22MP chip and the other has a 36.3MP chip, I'm pretty sure I know which one is gonna come out on top.  ... I'll sell off my small but capable collection of Canon bodies and glass and pick up similar stuff with a Nikon Nokia badge.

...because if 36 MP is better than 22 MP, then 41 MP must be even better!  Plus, no more fussing about with all those heavy, expensive lenses, and you still get to use Zeiss glass...  :P
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Kernuak

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Avalon Light Photoart
« Reply #665 on: February 27, 2012, 05:22:13 PM »
Could this image be true???

Seems highly plausible. It looks like a combination of 7D design and 5D logo.

And the missing popup flash button suggest it is a model without inbuilt flash.

Perhaps this is it :)
Agreed.  This is definitely plausible.  This could be in keeping with the Kenyan prototype keeping the 7D styling/layout.
The other thing that is interesting is the 5 hole microphone port.  I think all existing cameras with video have a 4 hole port.  Could be wrong, but this is definitely plausible.
There's going to be 7 on the 7D MkII, they might have problems with the 70D though, especially with the weather sealing :P. As for the 650D, it's going to look like someone took a shotgun to it.
Canon 5D MkIII, 7D, 300mm L IS f/2.8 and a few other L's

mike f2

« Reply #666 on: February 27, 2012, 05:31:52 PM »
Hi ALL,

This is my First Post and I do Hope this gets to Canon or someone in the Know.. and I dont mean any offence to anyone..

BUT... most of you are extolling the OHHH got to have it and these features are worth it.. THERE IS A FULL ON RECESSION On out there..

I am looking for my first and probably last DSLR.. and Ive chosen Canon..CORRECTION I did choose Canon..

My decision was based on I work In Media live Broadcasting and have gone from vision engineer to trainee Video cameraman in 2 Years.. and Ive decided to learn the job properly and to do that I feel I need to start with STILLS  and perfect that alongside Video work..Sorry if am boring you all but am old fashioned and if I do something I do it right..

Therefore I was looking at the 7D and at a stretch a 5D mk II.. reasons were get something good and develop with it..not swap and change.. then the 5D Mk III has appeared on the horizon..

BUT
The high price thats been banded is Not justifyable.. take a step back and look.. Canon release a slightly improved camera at greatly inflated prices, sell a shed load to the must have new brigade or the canon pros get em at greatly discounted prices for the product to be seen out on the street then when its sales figures start to drop the price falls..ready for the next model.. and to be honest most on here are actually helping Canon Improve there sales by justifying the price.. Listen to YOURSELVES !!

START realising and take a stance.. SAY NO (IEI)  TO Canon s Pricing structure and Demand a reasonable price to new product Pricing for Loyalty..to the Canon brand.. its you who can do this..

I have managed to get £1500-£2000 together towards  a decent Camera  BUT I WILL NOT give that money away ..SO am now going to Look at some NIKON (spit) hardware as well

SO CANON THIS MIGHT BE ONE SALE YOU HAVE LOST..

M (DISAPPOINTED..)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #666 on: February 27, 2012, 05:31:52 PM »

briansquibb

« Reply #667 on: February 27, 2012, 05:56:03 PM »
Hi ALL,

This is my First Post and I do Hope this gets to Canon or someone in the Know.. and I dont mean any offence to anyone..

BUT... most of you are extolling the OHHH got to have it and these features are worth it.. THERE IS A FULL ON RECESSION On out there..

I am looking for my first and probably last DSLR.. and Ive chosen Canon..CORRECTION I did choose Canon..

My decision was based on I work In Media live Broadcasting and have gone from vision engineer to trainee Video cameraman in 2 Years.. and Ive decided to learn the job properly and to do that I feel I need to start with STILLS  and perfect that alongside Video work..Sorry if am boring you all but am old fashioned and if I do something I do it right..

Therefore I was looking at the 7D and at a stretch a 5D mk II.. reasons were get something good and develop with it..not swap and change.. then the 5D Mk III has appeared on the horizon..

BUT
The high price thats been banded is Not justifyable.. take a step back and look.. Canon release a slightly improved camera at greatly inflated prices, sell a shed load to the must have new brigade or the canon pros get em at greatly discounted prices for the product to be seen out on the street then when its sales figures start to drop the price falls..ready for the next model.. and to be honest most on here are actually helping Canon Improve there sales by justifying the price.. Listen to YOURSELVES !!

START realising and take a stance.. SAY NO (IEI)  TO Canon s Pricing structure and Demand a reasonable price to new product Pricing for Loyalty..to the Canon brand.. its you who can do this..

I have managed to get £1500-£2000 together towards  a decent Camera  BUT I WILL NOT give that money away ..SO am now going to Look at some NIKON (spit) hardware as well

SO CANON THIS MIGHT BE ONE SALE YOU HAVE LOST..

M (DISAPPOINTED..)

Well £1500 buys a 5D2. 5D3 doesn't have a price yet - nor do we have any specs - so which Nikon will you compare it with??

It is no good comparing msrp to the street price unless you want to be an early buyer. Used 7Ds are now at less than £900 - why not buy one of those in the interim until street prices and specifications/performance is known?

mike f2

« Reply #668 on: February 27, 2012, 06:15:41 PM »
Hi Brian,

Yeah I know I could but .. some of the money is a bit of a living legacy from my dad and the camera will not be changed  later on for anything.. (tho hopefully raising more cash..as we speak..)

I've been researching Canon Cameras since before Xmas as they came highly recommended by friends who work commercially with Canon equipment and I (we) use canon lenses on the broadcast video cams.

So just feeling a bit raw with all this speculation regarding the price.. and I think I will look at comparible cameras that offer similar IQ around a particular pricepoint.

briansquibb

« Reply #669 on: February 27, 2012, 06:25:19 PM »
Hi Brian,

Yeah I know I could but .. some of the money is a bit of a living legacy from my dad and the camera will not be changed  later on for anything.. (tho hopefully raising more cash..as we speak..)

I've been researching Canon Cameras since before Xmas as they came highly recommended by friends who work commercially with Canon equipment and I (we) use canon lenses on the broadcast video cams.

So just feeling a bit raw with all this speculation regarding the price.. and I think I will look at comparible cameras that offer similar IQ around a particular pricepoint.

The price on the street will not be the same as the msrp

We wont be able to compare IQ until the specs have been announced and review done. There is nothing to say that the Nikon will come out best (far from it as already stories of high noise are circulating).

How will you compare a 5DIII with a D800 - they are totally different cameras

d800 - high mps, low fps, high iso? high noise?

5DIII - (guesing) - lower mps, higher fps, high iso, low noise

If you cant buy tactically - then I would recommend waiting for 3(?) months till the market settles down and you can make a balanced decision

Brad Trent

« Reply #670 on: February 27, 2012, 06:25:54 PM »
...because if 36 MP is better than 22 MP, then 41 MP must be even better!  Plus, no more fussing about with all those heavy, expensive lenses, and you still get to use Zeiss glass...  :P

Well...let's not let common sense get in the way of a good argument! I'm sure the new Nokia phone will get lotsa kids excited, but why don't we stay on point?!!

The simple fact is that 36MP is better than 22MP and there is no logical reason to believe otherwise. I've watched Canon let its long-held lead in the professional digital race get whittled down by both Nikon and Sony over the past few years and really don't care to stick around while other camera makers come out with better products.

If more megapixels were not producing better results, then why the continuing escalation in digital back technology? I own a Leaf Aptus 75S...it's bloody marvelous with its 33 megapixels...but only a fool would say that the 80 megapixel Aptus II 12 doesn't give much better results. Do I need to upgrade (to the tune of $35 Grand) to the 80MP back right now...no...but I know eventually I probably will because there will be enough of my clients that will come to expect it. But when it comes to me jumping to a Nikon system if it means the images the D800 produces are better in quality that what I now get outta my 5D, I'd do that without much prodding. I could sell all of my Canon gear and move into a Nikon system with the same glass for an investment of maybe a few grand. Do I want to change systems? Not particularly, but Canon isn't exactly making it easy to stick around. As for the theory that we'll see BIG THINGS at Photokina...I can't plan my business on maybes! If Canon came out tomorrow and said that yes, they have a high-megapixel body in the pipeline that will compete with the D800, I'm pretty sure it would go a long way to make other guys like me wait around a bit longer, but as I said before, getting them to confirm anything is impossible. Maybe the Canon fanboys can put up with that kinda logic, but I really don't have the time or interest any more...

briansquibb

« Reply #671 on: February 27, 2012, 06:35:10 PM »

Well...let's not let common sense get in the way of a good argument! I'm sure the new Nokia phone will get lotsa kids excited, but why don't we stay on point?!!

The simple fact is that 36MP is better than 22MP and there is no logical reason to believe otherwise. I've watched Canon let its long-held lead in the professional digital race get whittled down by both Nikon and Sony over the past few years and really don't care to stick around while other camera makers come out with better products.

If more megapixels were not producing better results, then why the continuing escalation in digital back technology? I own a Leaf Aptus 75S...it's bloody marvelous with its 33 megapixels...but only a fool would say that the 80 megapixel Aptus II 12 doesn't give much better results. Do I need to upgrade (to the tune of $35 Grand) to the 80MP back right now...no...but I know eventually I probably will because there will be enough of my clients that will come to expect it. But when it comes to me jumping to a Nikon system if it means the images the D800 produces are better in quality that what I now get outta my 5D, I'd do that without much prodding. I could sell all of my Canon gear and move into a Nikon system with the same glass for an investment of maybe a few grand. Do I want to change systems? Not particularly, but Canon isn't exactly making it easy to stick around. As for the theory that we'll see BIG THINGS at Photokina...I can't plan my business on maybes! If Canon came out tomorrow and said that yes, they have a high-megapixel body in the pipeline that will compete with the D800, I'm pretty sure it would go a long way to make other guys like me wait around a bit longer, but as I said before, getting them to confirm anything is impossible. Maybe the Canon fanboys can put up with that kinda logic, but I really don't have the time or interest any more...

Mps requirement is dependant on the output produced.

I suspect that 36mp wont give  a better image than 21mp for wedding photograpers with a max print of 20 x 16

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #672 on: February 27, 2012, 06:41:45 PM »

I'm not a "Canon or nothing" person, but I must say, I don't think your reasoning is very sound.

I am not that familiar with the exchange rates, but I don't believe you can get a new D800 from Nikon for the price you are seeking, nor will you likely be able to get a new 5D III for that price. As far as the next levels down, both Canon and Nikon have a full line of APS-C sensor cameras including their top-of-the-line models within that price range (I believe). And, both are competitively priced to one another (I think the 7D gives you quite a bit more camera for less cost actually). Likewise, it sounds as though both companies intend to offer their previous models (the 5D II and the D700) at significantly reduced but similar prices.

If you are upset that your budgeted amount won't buy you the latest full-frame models from either manufacturer...well...we all have budget limitations. They are both likely to be out of my price range as well. But, then again, so are BMWs and so are Rolex watches. Kind of, just the way life is, isn't it?
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #672 on: February 27, 2012, 06:41:45 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: February 27, 2012, 06:48:36 PM »

I'm not a "Canon or nothing" person, but I must say, I don't think your reasoning is very sound.

I am not that familiar with the exchange rates, but I don't believe you can get a new D800 from Nikon for the price you are seeking, nor will you likely be able to get a new 5D III for that price. As far as the next levels down, both Canon and Nikon have a full line of APS-C sensor cameras including their top-of-the-line models within that price range (I believe). And, both are competitively priced to one another (I think the 7D gives you quite a bit more camera for less cost actually). Likewise, it sounds as though both companies intend to offer their previous models (the 5D II and the D700) at significantly reduced but similar prices.

If you are upset that your budgeted amount won't buy you the latest full-frame models from either manufacturer...well...we all have budget limitations. They are both likely to be out of my price range as well. But, then again, so are BMWs and so are Rolex watches. Kind of, just the way life is, isn't it?

I know I know, I've been really getting annoyed that aston martin wont sell me a DB9 for $30,000 I mean don't they want my money?

Seriously the price is going to be what it is going to be, It is an item in massive demand and more than likely there will be a significant waiting list of preorders just to get one within months of release. That is the way it is.
End of story.

APS-H Fanboy

eosbit

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: February 27, 2012, 06:52:25 PM »

Eh?  The (seemingly) imminent announcement of a 5DIII does NOT make the 5DII any less of a camera.  It was and still is an AWESOME camera.    There will be thousands of people taking fantastic images with the 5DII for many many years to come.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #674 on: February 27, 2012, 06:52:25 PM »