September 02, 2014, 05:56:05 PM

Author Topic: New speedlites - Am I the only one...  (Read 13145 times)

SPG

Re: New speedlites - Am I the only one...
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 10:36:37 PM »
BTW, I have an Odin setup so I already have easy control over my remote flashes, TTL, HSS, etc. Anyone who wants to upgrade to the 590 and sell off their 580's let me know...I'll be picking up a couple of them at least!  ;D

I have been eyeing the Odin's myself.   I have not heard a bad thing about them really from anyone..  right now i am using 2 580's, one on cam one off and would really love to get that second flash off camera, and also pick up some soft boxes.  Even without the softboxes, that line of sight thing is killin me....

The 590 announcement made me waiver on pulling the trigger on odins, should i just pull the trigger and snag the odin?
Hmm, here's one thing about using the Odins...no AF assist light. Other than that I can't think of much I'm really wanting from them.
If I hadn't already bought the Odins I'd probably wait a couple weeks and see what Canon has on offer. If it's really good there might be some more used gear available cheaper or you can invest in the new 590's and whatever it takes to fire them.
When I saw the PW PlusIII announced the other day I questioned my purchase of the Odins for a second or two. Then I realized that the PW PlusIIIs don't have TTL, HSS, or output controls. Meh. Nice triggers still and great range, but I'm happy with my Odins.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2012, 10:36:37 PM »

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2012, 10:44:41 PM »
BTW, I have an Odin setup so I already have easy control over my remote flashes, TTL, HSS, etc. Anyone who wants to upgrade to the 590 and sell off their 580's let me know...I'll be picking up a couple of them at least!  ;D

I have been eyeing the Odin's myself.   I have not heard a bad thing about them really from anyone..  right now i am using 2 580's, one on cam one off and would really love to get that second flash off camera, and also pick up some soft boxes.  Even without the softboxes, that line of sight thing is killin me....

The 590 announcement made me waiver on pulling the trigger on odins, should i just pull the trigger and snag the odin?
Hmm, here's one thing about using the Odins...no AF assist light. Other than that I can't think of much I'm really wanting from them.
If I hadn't already bought the Odins I'd probably wait a couple weeks and see what Canon has on offer. If it's really good there might be some more used gear available cheaper or you can invest in the new 590's and whatever it takes to fire them.
When I saw the PW PlusIII announced the other day I questioned my purchase of the Odins for a second or two. Then I realized that the PW PlusIIIs don't have TTL, HSS, or output controls. Meh. Nice triggers still and great range, but I'm happy with my Odins.

I also looked at the phottix strato for the reason of AF assist ----question  --- can the strato transmitter send signals to odin recievers?   The strato is very affordable, and allows you to have a flash  on camera (if i read it right, its pass through, so youd get the assist light plus ettl on the on cam flash...  If the strato can trigger the odin recievers, that may be a good low light fix (or a 590, if the 590 can trigger the odin recievers...) I'd much rather be in a place3 to pick up cheaper used 580's than having to sell 580's to buy 590's...
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

V8Beast

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Stephen Kim Automotive Photography
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2012, 02:35:39 AM »
Nope, you're not the only one. If Canon comes out with a radio triggered flash, I will buy three of them ASAP. If Canon integrates a radio transmitter into the 5DIII, it will be a stroke of genius.

briansquibb

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2012, 03:13:07 AM »
Nope, you're not the only one. If Canon comes out with a radio triggered flash, I will buy three of them ASAP. If Canon integrates a radio transmitter into the 5DIII, it will be a stroke of genius.

Nah - it will be a 590 used as a master on top or an ST-E3

xROELOFx

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Fotograaf Alkmaar
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2012, 03:32:02 AM »

I also looked at the phottix strato for the reason of AF assist ----question  --- can the strato transmitter send signals to odin recievers?   The strato is very affordable, and allows you to have a flash  on camera (if i read it right, its pass through, so youd get the assist light plus ettl on the on cam flash...  If the strato can trigger the odin recievers, that may be a good low light fix (or a 590, if the 590 can trigger the odin recievers...) I'd much rather be in a place3 to pick up cheaper used 580's than having to sell 580's to buy 590's...
unfortunately the strato transmitter cannot trigger the odin receivers. the other way around is possible though, with the odin transmitter you can trigger the strato receivers.

and you are right about the strato transmitter, it does pass through all the stuff to the flash mounted on the transmitter. i've got the strato ii and this was the main reason i bought them. i needed a system to trigger remote flashes while still be able to mount a flash on my camera.
1DX | 1D4 | EF 24-70mm f/2.8L | EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II | EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro | EF 500mm f/4L IS | Extender EF 1.4x III | Extender EF 2.0x III | Speedlite 580EX II | Speedlite 430EX II | Macro Twin Lite MT-24 EX

Viggo

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 03:42:52 AM »
The Odin supports AF-assist light. It won't work through a soft-box, but who thought it would? You can even control the spread of the zoom on the flash head from camera. Yet another two things the PW's can't do.

I thought I miss the speedcycle feature of the PW's, but batterypacks fixed that issue.
1dx, 24-70 L II, 50 Art, 200 f2.0 L

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 04:45:02 AM »
canon should buy pocket wizard....  combine the flashes and triggers...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2012, 04:45:02 AM »

ramon123

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 05:48:08 AM »
no you're not the only one! I have been holding back from buying the 580EXII for around 6 months now because I kept on thinking Canon were going to release the new flagship speedlight. So no, you're not alone, I too am very excited!

Maui5150

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 08:12:05 AM »

Who says they won't.

By the same regard since someone mentioned that they wondered if the Canon Radio would be compatible with the Odins.  Who knows?  The 2.4 frequency is more universal, but does have interference issues.  Then again, PW is built into light meters and many of strobes already (i.e. no need for extra receivers) as well as PW has a much larger installation base...

So if Canon made these speed lights PW compatible, anyone with a PW could trigger them, the Mini TT1 or Flex can be used for ETTL, and while Canon may lose a little from is SE controller, they would gain HUGE from the savings of most implementers of having what is a PW compatible Speedlight, i.e. no need for Speedlight and Receiver, works with most of the gear that is out there already...

Things like the PW III would be used for studio stobes, and then the Canon Speedlight acts like a 580 AND FLEX5 all in one...

Would not be surprised if the 590 EX came out as PW-Compatible.  Would not be surprised if it was proprietary, but could see making the 590 EX PW Compatible would be a big selling point

justsomedude

• 7D
  • Canon 5D3 and 6D
    • View Profile
    • AK Photo - Denver Photographer
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2012, 11:30:51 AM »
I'm excited just to see if Canon fixed the arcing issue in the 580EXII.  I've fried both of my 580EXIIs TWICE now, and they are on their 2nd trip back to service due to the dreaded "design flaw" issue called out by LPA Designs.

I hope the 590 is a proper design that allows for ozone venting.  Here in Denver, the dry air creates a real ozone problem, and I'm always worried I'm gonna blow my 580's out whenever I used them in HSS mode.  :(

Please, Canon, fix this damn flash!!!!!!!

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2012, 11:31:20 AM »
The Odin supports AF-assist light. It won't work through a soft-box, but who thought it would? You can even control the spread of the zoom on the flash head from camera. Yet another two things the PW's can't do.

I thought I miss the speedcycle feature of the PW's, but batterypacks fixed that issue.

hmmmm - its sounding more and more like I should get me the Odin as opposed to waiting on this 590, then having to sell off 2 flashes to buy more.  I'm assuming price point of the 590 will launch at at least $500, probably more.  So I'm thinking go with the odin...
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2012, 11:33:20 AM »

Who says they won't.

By the same regard since someone mentioned that they wondered if the Canon Radio would be compatible with the Odins.  Who knows?  The 2.4 frequency is more universal, but does have interference issues.  Then again, PW is built into light meters and many of strobes already (i.e. no need for extra receivers) as well as PW has a much larger installation base...

So if Canon made these speed lights PW compatible, anyone with a PW could trigger them, the Mini TT1 or Flex can be used for ETTL, and while Canon may lose a little from is SE controller, they would gain HUGE from the savings of most implementers of having what is a PW compatible Speedlight, i.e. no need for Speedlight and Receiver, works with most of the gear that is out there already...

Things like the PW III would be used for studio stobes, and then the Canon Speedlight acts like a 580 AND FLEX5 all in one...

Would not be surprised if the 590 EX came out as PW-Compatible.  Would not be surprised if it was proprietary, but could see making the 590 EX PW Compatible would be a big selling point

Wow if this new flash were to be compatible with both the odin and pw systems.  I kind of doubt it, but i guess its time to wait and see!

SPG

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2012, 01:34:03 PM »
I'd be really surprised if the 590 was compatible with any existing system. Canon isn't exactly known for playing well with others. They still don't release specs of how any of their systems work, or when they change them, so every third party manufacturer has to reverse engineer Canon's system to get their gear to work with it.
That's not to say that Canon won't work with Pocket Wizard, but let's look at recent events...
1. The 580exII radio interference and fried circuit issues with Pocket Wizard. They both saw an issue, yet they wouldn't talk to each other about resolving it.
2. PW just released a new trigger and is really pushing it.
3. PW has to run on different frequencies for sale in the US vs EU.
Those three things would lead one to believe that these two companies aren't working together.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2012, 01:34:03 PM »

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2012, 02:01:54 PM »
I would be very surprised if Canon did not release optional transmitters and receivers for the 580 EX and for the current DSLRs. Of course, I would expect them to be more expensive than any third party triggers, but I just can't seem them passing up the opportunity.

If the regulatory issues can be resolved, perhaps we'll see a built-in trigger on the next 7D (something to differentiate it from lesser models perhaps?)
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

kubelik

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • a teatray in the sky
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2012, 02:27:46 PM »
I would be very surprised if Canon did not release optional transmitters and receivers for the 580 EX and for the current DSLRs. Of course, I would expect them to be more expensive than any third party triggers, but I just can't seem them passing up the opportunity.

If the regulatory issues can be resolved, perhaps we'll see a built-in trigger on the next 7D (something to differentiate it from lesser models perhaps?)

I feel the same way.  I'm sure Canon won't miss out on this opportunity to accessorize and sell more stuff to make their legacy gear compatible.  it'd be awesome to have a built-in RF trigger for future cameras, I could see that being a huge selling point for the generation of cameras to come.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2012, 02:27:46 PM »